Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Can't activate PX022ANC - Error XRE-00253: HELP!

Frequent Visitor

Can't activate PX022ANC - Error XRE-00253: HELP!

Trying to activate two new (swapped from older model) X1 boxes I just got from Comcast store today.  Model is "PA PX022ANC".  They both keep freezing with an XRE-00253 error message and can never activate.  Spent 4+ hours with tech support, bounced around from TIER 1 and 2.  Everyone says signals are fine and just keep doing all the same signalling and reboots.  Now just got told it has to go to Tier 3 but expect 24-48 hour response.  This is insane!

Had the exact same problem at my mother-in-law's house on the other side of town earlier today when I had to update her equipment.  Tech on the phone said to just return the box.

But if I've got the same issue with my new boxes on my cable lines, seems like an issue with firmware maybe?  ANYONE have any ideas.

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't activate PX022ANC - Error XRE-00253: HELP!

Just received this from @comcastcares:  "I am an advanced technical support agent. I have seen this issue with your boxes before. I am reaching out to some folks in your area to see if they can stage the boxes for you. I would do it myself but I do not actually have the tool needed to correct the box information. Once I receive a reply from them I can follow up with you here and we should be able to get those devices going. -TJS"

Not sure what that means or if/when the next step will happen, but it's something.  Maybe.

All Replies
Expert

Searching this forum, one poster resolved the issue by going to the nearest Xfinity Store and doing a free swap.  No need to take anything other than the STB.  When I swapped mine, I got a new setup; be sure to use the new power brick; sometimes they are an issue.

Frequent Visitor

If it was one box, I could see that as a possible fix.  And that was my plan with my mother-in-law's.  But when I got to my house and had the exact same issue on both of my same boxes....

Seems unlikely, they ALL are bad hardware?

Expert

No.  Have you tried calling 1800comcast?

Official Employee

I escalated it up to a colleague to take a look, just don’t have a timeline, I’m not sure who is on today.
Frequent Visitor

I was told Tier 2 couldn't do any more and there's a ticket in for a Tier 3 call back, but a 24-48 window was all they could tell me.  

I'm exchainging messages with @comcastcares and they said they'd be in touch.  Not sure what that will get me.

It's beyond frustrating that every person I deal with has to follow all of the same scripts and steps to all get to the same result.  Doesn't seem like anyone can see what other steps people have tried.  It's all the same account.  For a customer, it's incredibly inefficient and just wastes a huge amount of time for everyone.

Official Employee

I’m a tech so there isn’t much I can do. If you’re still exchanging messages, have them check that the rate codes are correct. That error means the boxes weren’t able to initialize
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  They pushed new codes and resets multiple times to each box.  Always ending up at the 00253 screen.

From what I described though (3 boxes at 2 different properties) does this sound like it's hardware errors and where new boxes would help?  I'd rather not drive to the store to swap them all to be honest, but if that's at all possible to fix it, I'd consider I guess.

@comcastcares went dark after 2 messages.  So, I've got no choice, other than to wait at this point.  

Frequent Visitor

Just received this from @comcastcares:  "I am an advanced technical support agent. I have seen this issue with your boxes before. I am reaching out to some folks in your area to see if they can stage the boxes for you. I would do it myself but I do not actually have the tool needed to correct the box information. Once I receive a reply from them I can follow up with you here and we should be able to get those devices going. -TJS"

Not sure what that means or if/when the next step will happen, but it's something.  Maybe.

Frequent Visitor

Closing this out in case anyone faces a similar issue.  Problem is now resolved on all 3 boxes, thanks to an incredibly helpful person with Advanced Repair, who was assigned the ticket from the @comcastcares twitter account.  I asked him to describe the issue and resolution:

"I worked with an advanced repair group at one point and we used to see these from time to time. You would have had to get to a tier 3 agent. Basically what happens is that there is a file the box holds onto that assigns it to the cable network. That information can expire if the box sits around and isn't active for a while. So that information needs to be reloaded onto the box's cable card which has to be done with an engineer with access to the right tool. -TJS"

It looks like as long as I was bounced around to Tier 1 and 2, this was going nowhere.  Happy to have this solved, and hoping I don't wake up tomorrow to another error message.

Official Employee

dmb75 wrote: It looks like as long as I was bounced around to Tier 1 and 2, this was going nowhere.  Happy to have this solved, and hoping I don't wake up tomorrow to another error message.

I am glad that we were able to take care of this issue for you, have a good day.