Community Forum

Cable box keeps rebooting

New Poster

Cable box keeps rebooting

While watching tv almost every night at least once or twice during the 3 hours we watch tv. Or box reboots at least once. This is one very annoying and also very irritating. Please tell me how to fix this issue.
Expert

Re: Cable box keeps rebooting

wrote:
While watching tv almost every night at least once or twice during the 3 hours we watch tv. Or box reboots at least once. This is one very annoying and also very irritating. Please tell me how to fix this issue.

are you also losing internet? do you have more than one set top box? if so, are they all having loss of signal or rebooting too?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

For the last 3 days or so...my cable box has been rebooting and while watching On Demand programs they just randomly stop and start over.
New Poster

This is happening to us too. Just on one of our boxes. Shuts off and reboots regularly. Very frustrating. Any answers?
Expert

wrote:
This is happening to us too. Just on one of our boxes. Shuts off and reboots regularly. Very frustrating. Any answers?

from earlier post: are you also losing internet? do you have more than one set top box? if so, are they all having loss of signal or rebooting too?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

It just appears to be happening on the one box. We are not losing intenet that I know of. We have more than one set top box. Thanks!

Regular Visitor

Is this still happening to you? I had the issue a month or so ago when I first got my box. Comcast pinged the box remotely, saying they re-sent a stronger signal that the X1 box needs. It was ok for a couple days but then started occurring again, though intermittently. Tonight it's happened 3 times in an hour. I don't watch much live t.v. so I suspect this occurs more than I even realize. I think next is a new box or Comcast tech to my house. Frustrating indeed.

New Poster

I am having the same problem.  Prior to a week ago, I had Comcast for cable with AT & T for phone and internet.  Decided to bundle.  They sent me new X1 boxes and a modem.  I have had nothing but grief since I cranked it up. The cable TV goes out at often as once an hour and then goes through the entire reboot.  The phone and inter et are working fine.  I have talked to Xfinity at least 25 times. They say they have checked the box and it is fine.  Sure, when it is on.  All the cables they sent me were 12 feet long and at max, I need 4 foot cables.  I even bought a new power strip.  I have now ordered 4 foot cables first of all to eliminate the mess behind my TV stand and, second, to eliminate any loss of signal due to cable length.  My line comes in to a splitter which Xfinity provided.  They keep offering to send a tech out for $60.  I have self-installed equipment for years, cable TV, internet, computer networks so it isn't as though I don't know what I am doing.  I am so frustrated, am now on the verge of sending it all back and pulling the plug. Losing the service every hour with a 5 or 6 minute regoot is more than I can handle. I truly believe the problem is outdoors. Will spend tomorrow in my bedroom to see if the box up there quits as often.  Anyone have any ideas on a solution?

Expert

@delmariani wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Prior to a week ago, I had Comcast for cable with AT & T for phone and internet.  Decided to bundle.  They sent me new X1 boxes and a modem.  I have had nothing but grief since I cranked it up. The cable TV goes out at often as once an hour and then goes through the entire reboot.  The phone and inter et are working fine.  I have talked to Xfinity at least 25 times. They say they have checked the box and it is fine.  Sure, when it is on.  All the cables they sent me were 12 feet long and at max, I need 4 foot cables.  I even bought a new power strip.  I have now ordered 4 foot cables first of all to eliminate the mess behind my TV stand and, second, to eliminate any loss of signal due to cable length.  My line comes in to a splitter which Xfinity provided.  They keep offering to send a tech out for $60.  I have self-installed equipment for years, cable TV, internet, computer networks so it isn't as though I don't know what I am doing.  I am so frustrated, am now on the verge of sending it all back and pulling the plug. Losing the service every hour with a 5 or 6 minute regoot is more than I can handle. I truly believe the problem is outdoors. Will spend tomorrow in my bedroom to see if the box up there quits as often.  Anyone have any ideas on a solution?

do you have splitters? amp? how are your cable lines run from each room?

Regular Visitor

I had a tech come out last week. He said the splitter is good, there are only 2 t.v.s and a cable modem connected. One X1 box only, which is the problem (constant reboots). Tech found my signal to be good but not great. He tested all the lines and found a lot of static on one, from a bad connector to the secondary t.v. Fixed that and installed a mocha(?) filter, which he said I should have had this whole time. Also, just in case, he replaced the connector to the X1 box. Re-tested all the lines and all looked good. Figured after all that I'd be hassle-free. Later that SAME NIGHT the X1 box rebooted again at about 8:30 p.m. or so. Next night same thing and 2 nights ago it happened about 6:20 p.m. when the box wasn't even on! Tech had said if all his work didn't fix the issue to just swap the box out, which I intend to do this week but am far from optimistic. I only watch t.v. for probably 2 hours a night and it reboots at least once, sometimes 3 times within this time period many evenings. Not sure about an amp?

Expert

@lcp13 wrote:

I had a tech come out last week. He said the splitter is good, there are only 2 t.v.s and a cable modem connected. One X1 box only, which is the problem (constant reboots). Tech found my signal to be good but not great. He tested all the lines and found a lot of static on one, from a bad connector to the secondary t.v. Fixed that and installed a mocha(?) filter, which he said I should have had this whole time. Also, just in case, he replaced the connector to the X1 box. Re-tested all the lines and all looked good. Figured after all that I'd be hassle-free. Later that SAME NIGHT the X1 box rebooted again at about 8:30 p.m. or so. Next night same thing and 2 nights ago it happened about 6:20 p.m. when the box wasn't even on! Tech had said if all his work didn't fix the issue to just swap the box out, which I intend to do this week but am far from optimistic. I only watch t.v. for probably 2 hours a night and it reboots at least once, sometimes 3 times within this time period many evenings. Not sure about an amp?

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Regular Visitor

Wonderful, thank you. My box is rebooting as I type. Wasn't even on. Again at 6:15. I do know that it does the regular re-boot between 2 and 5 a.m. We checked that setting when the tech was here. Should I hold off on getting another box? I was told to order one straight from the factory(?) but there appears to be a shipping fee. The tech said they send the same refurbished (likely) boxes that I'd get from my local office, so I was going to just to pick one up.

Frequent Visitor

Had the same issue with the new 4K box , picture would freeze then the box would restart.

Happened several times a day during live tv, recorded shows, Netflix, whatever.

Tech came yesterday and said that if the box is in powersaver mode that could be causing the issue since the box is off during update rollouts. Don't know if that's the case for the boxes other than the new 4K ones but you could try turning off the powersaver mode and see if that works. If not i'd just go to local store and swap out the boxes.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for that idea. The tech and I did talk about the power save mode, and we re-set it in fact to 2 hours. I'll try to figure out how to disable it, though it would be nice to save power certainly Smiley Happy I appreciate you taking the time to respond with this suggestion.

Frequent Visitor

Go to the settings/device settings/power preferences. You can turn it off there. Good Luck!
Official Employee

Hi @lcp13. If your X1 box is still rebooting, I can assist with scheduling another technician visit to troubleshoot the signal and/or replace the box. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thank you, ComcastJoeTru. I just shut off the power save mode this evening - I had been waiting for the next reboot, as my X1 box had been behaving the last couple of nights. So I will give it another shot here, with the powersave off and then PM you to see about getting another tech perhaps with a new box. I had thought that the first tech last week fixed all of the signal issues. He did say my signal strength was good, but he "wished it could be better". I don't know what might cause fluctuations in signals. That seems harder to address, and wouldn't be solved with a new box.

I appreciate your time in responding. It appears you've been a big help to many on this forum Smiley Happy

Lynn

Regular Visitor

A few days ago I changed the power setting on my cable box from 2 hours to 1 hour.  The next morning my cable box went through 3 reboots in a short amount of time, maybe 20 minutes.  I have since set it back to 2 hours and haven't had a reboot.  While the testing time has not been long, it appears that there might be a connection between short power off times and frequent reboots.

Regular Visitor

To be clear, Fazool, shutting off the automatic power save means that my cable box is ON all the time, correct? I shouldn't shut it off manually via the on/off button, or that will simply throw it into power save mode and negate my test here, correct?

One night with no reboots since I've done this. Though that's not uncommon, so the experiment is still under way Smiley Happy

Expert

the settop boxes are very energy efficient even when fully on. you might save only $1/year if you left the set top box in power save mode 24/7/365 (but then why have it). 

Regular Visitor

I have to say, I'm going on 4 (I think) nights of NO reboots. Hopeful that leaving the box on at all times has rectified my problem. If it has, I'm not sure what that means the issue IS exactly. It still would be nice to be able to shut the box off, especially since I watch only 2 hours of t.v. a night. I always feel strange leaving things on. Anyway, thought I would update this thread with my latest status report. Will post again if I start seeing reboots again. Thanks to all who've commented thus far.

Silver Problem Solver

@lcp13 wrote:

I have to say, I'm going on 4 (I think) nights of NO reboots. Hopeful that leaving the box on at all times has rectified my problem. If it has, I'm not sure what that means the issue IS exactly. It still would be nice to be able to shut the box off, especially since I watch only 2 hours of t.v. a night. I always feel strange leaving things on. Anyway, thought I would update this thread with my latest status report. Will post again if I start seeing reboots again. Thanks to all who've commented thus far.

I have three DVR's and two XG2's.  Only one of my XG2's turns off after some period of time.  I don't know why.  But all my appliances are on 24/7 and they use a lot more than my X1 boxes.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Well, I've not shut my X1 box off now for a couple weeks. Tonight right now it's re-booting itself again while I'm watching live t.v. Not sure if it's the first time it's done it or just the first time while I've been watching. Disappointing, as it seemed leaving the box on might be a fix. We'll see if it starts happening again more frequently. We are having some weather - though I don't know if that impacts the signal in the slightest.

Silver Problem Solver

@lcp13 wrote:

Well, I've not shut my X1 box off now for a couple weeks. Tonight right now it's re-booting itself again while I'm watching live t.v. Not sure if it's the first time it's done it or just the first time while I've been watching. Disappointing, as it seemed leaving the box on might be a fix. We'll see if it starts happening again more frequently. We are having some weather - though I don't know if that impacts the signal in the slightest.

That would indicate to me that Comcast is doing some kind of maintenance in your neighborhood.  You can check My Account to see if there are any notifications about maintenance.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Was good for a week maybe, but X1 box is rebooting again at 7:40 p.m. while I'm watching a recorded show. I don't know how likely it is that the cable company is doing (more?) work in my area - if that's the likely scenario. I still haven't turned off my box since I started this experiment - maybe 3 weeks now? Smiley Sad

I want to say though, that the replies to my (and I assume many others') posts on this forum have been really hepful and appreciated. Just that anyone cares to offer an idea or suggestion to me, some random person - well it's just really nice, every time it happens Smiley Happy Thanks to all who've taken the time to comment and help folks like me.

Regular Visitor

I'm wondering if these reboots are related to "how" I'm watching t.v. Seems every Sunday when I watch an 8:00 show, I'll start watching my DVR recording of it about 8:15 so I can FF through commercials. Every single time I do this, my X1 box will re-boot at about 8:40 (give or take). I called Comcast last night and they were of no help of course and had me check my nightly reboot setting time, which is and has been set to between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. He suggested I swap boxes. I thought I recalled someone else wondering if their fast-forwarding/rewinding activities might contribute to their frequent reboots as well. I think we're probably just grasping. Anyway, I plan to get a new box tomorrow and 'll post again after I've got it set up and going for a while. I'll return to default settings at first (power save, etc.). Should be interesting.

Expert

@lcp13 wrote:

I'm wondering if these reboots are related to "how" I'm watching t.v. Seems every Sunday when I watch an 8:00 show, I'll start watching my DVR recording of it about 8:15 so I can FF through commercials. Every single time I do this, my X1 box will re-boot at about 8:40 (give or take). I called Comcast last night and they were of no help of course and had me check my nightly reboot setting time, which is and has been set to between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. He suggested I swap boxes. I thought I recalled someone else wondering if their fast-forwarding/rewinding activities might contribute to their frequent reboots as well. I think we're probably just grasping. Anyway, I plan to get a new box tomorrow and 'll post again after I've got it set up and going for a while. I'll return to default settings at first (power save, etc.). Should be interesting.

do you have a DVR?

Regular Visitor

I do have a DVR. Sometimes I watch the recording while the show is still on Live TV. Which is what I was thinking might be triggering these reboots. Anyway, I got a new box today (2 actually, the first sounded like a freight train as soon as I plugged it in) and we'll see what problems arise.

Do you find that DVRs have certain issues, is that why you ask?

Thanks for your reply!

Lynn

Expert

@lcp13 wrote:

I do have a DVR. Sometimes I watch the recording while the show is still on Live TV. Which is what I was thinking might be triggering these reboots. Anyway, I got a new box today (2 actually, the first sounded like a freight train as soon as I plugged it in) and we'll see what problems arise.

Do you find that DVRs have certain issues, is that why you ask?

Thanks for your reply!

Lynn

if it is making noise order a replacement. I was going to suggest that if you are watching in the buffer hit record for the series and watch the recording live beginning 15 minutes as you suggested after you have the 15 minutes in the recording. that way you are not watching the buffer at all (channel live buffer).

Regular Visitor

Yeah, I think that's about what I was doing. Started watching the recording at 8:15 for a show that started at 8. Was FF-ing through ads and such, but never caught up to Live t.v. Always rebooted about 8:45 or so when doing this.

I did go back and get another quieter box. Saved all my DVR settings, which I was pleasantly surprised by. Checked to be sure the auto re-boot is scheduled for 2-4 a.m., which it is.

I apprecaite your response. I hope I just had a bad box. They seem to swap these boxes out at the store where I exchanged it. Saw me coming Smiley Happy

Expert

@lcp13 wrote:

Yeah, I think that's about what I was doing. Started watching the recording at 8:15 for a show that started at 8. Was FF-ing through ads and such, but never caught up to Live t.v. Always rebooted about 8:45 or so when doing this.

I did go back and get another quieter box. Saved all my DVR settings, which I was pleasantly surprised by. Checked to be sure the auto re-boot is scheduled for 2-4 a.m., which it is.

I apprecaite your response. I hope I just had a bad box. They seem to swap these boxes out at the store where I exchanged it. Saw me coming Smiley Happy

it is cool that all the program series is 'in the cloud' and never lost (so far) Smiley Happy

New Poster

I just switched to Xfinity after being a FiOS customer for 9.5 years. I have 1 HD  DVR with 2 small HD boxes. In less than 1 day, I noticed different TVs freezing. Then realized the DVR was constantly rebooting on Day 2. I tried the Power Save off setting as well on Day 3, with no success. I called Customer Service and now have a tech scheduled for what will be my Day 6. I hope they can fix it as I will not settle for this. But reading this thread makes me believe it’s a widespread issue with the DVRs. It appears to reset at least every hour of watching any of the 3 TVs. However I am not losing internet as my streaming devices seems fine while binge watching.

I’ll post what I find out on Tuesday with the tech visit...

Expert

@Carreradb363 wrote:

I just switched to Xfinity after being a FiOS customer for 9.5 years. I have 1 HD  DVR with 2 small HD boxes. In less than 1 day, I noticed different TVs freezing. Then realized the DVR was constantly rebooting on Day 2. I tried the Power Save off setting as well on Day 3, with no success. I called Customer Service and now have a tech scheduled for what will be my Day 6. I hope they can fix it as I will not settle for this. But reading this thread makes me believe it’s a widespread issue with the DVRs. It appears to reset at least every hour of watching any of the 3 TVs. However I am not losing internet as my streaming devices seems fine while binge watching.

I’ll post what I find out on Tuesday with the tech visit...

you describe classic bad signal in your home outlet issues. Also, swap out one of your smaller boxes for an Xg2 (has its own tuner and it will loan a tuner to the other small box and not take a channel tuner from the DVR.

New Poster

I did the signal level test procedure and my signal levels are good. The tech showed up and tested the signal levels as well with his test gear. Again signal levels are good. Remember this is a new installation from last Thursday and the original tech would not/should not have completed installation with known bad signals. Anyway, tech swapped out X1 DVR. I'll see how this performs over the next few days. He also suggested changing smaller boxes out to XG2. 

Regular Visitor

After swapping X1 boxes, I seem to be having no further issues with reboots. Turned my power save back on, set to 4 hours. Hopefully a new box will resolve your problem as well!

New Poster

Is there a final solution to this. This happens at least 5 times a day
Regular Visitor

I got a new box. Two of them actually, the first one sounded like a freight train as soon as I plugged it in, so I immediately swapped again. The reboot problem is a distant memory. So in my case it was definitely the box.

New Poster

It may be the splitter outside.

https://youtu.be/YfOZrneN4fY
New Poster

Happened 10 times before noon on Sunday, as we waited for NFL football. Talked to 2 techs. One kept me on the line a long time and came up with the cause being a defective main box. I will find out when I replace it tomorrow.
Official Employee

Hello, I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

This is happening to me too in my new apartment. It is so frustrating! I’m going to try a new cord tomorrow and go from there. I never had issues with Comcast at my old apartment or when I lived at home.
Official Employee

Margo3tzi -- I can certainly check this for you. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

New Poster

Re: Cable box keeps rebooting,

Just upgraded my service and have been frustrated by same rebooting problem with this Samsung XG2 v2 box. Been on phone with 4 diff techs and not one of them would admit to knowing of this problem. I'm ready to give Comcast the boot as I will not agree to being charged for a home service visit. My service was working before this box and it does play for about 20 minutes before rebooting. I just put my old box back because my family was tired of watching and listening to me cuss comcast. Did swapping the box work?what should I tell the service center when I bring the old box back. Definitely dont want to spend another night in this xfinity nightmare.
New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem and it's driving me to the point that I'm gonna throw this garbage in the trash where it belongs; I've had it.

I've already had my box replaced and the problem remains.   I've not had a tech to the house (yet) because I don't feel I should have to pay for their terrible service.

Below is a log I've been keeping since October showing the reboots that I've been able to catch.  Who knows how many times its rebooting when no one is in front of the box to see it.

Monday, Sept 24
- 5:45 p.m.
- 6:40 p.m.

Wednesday, Sept 26
- 6:55 p.m.

Thursday, Sept 27
- 5:15 p.m.
- 5:30 p.m.

Friday, Oct 5
- 4:30 p.m.

Saturday, Oct 6
- 3:24 p.m.

Sunday, Oct 7
- 1:07 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct 17
- 6:52 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct 24
- 5:50 p.m.
- 7:58 p.m.
- 8:13 p.m.

Thursday, Nov 1
- 6:33 p.m.

Sunday, Nov 4
- 1:52 p.m.
- 2:54 p.m.
- 5:44 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov 6
- 6:25 p.m.

Wednesday, Nov 7
- 4:50 p.m.

Friday, Nov 9
- 4:45 p.m.
- 6:43 p.m.

Monday, Nov 12th
- 2:20 p.m.
- 5:22 pm.
- 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov 13

Expert

@John1961 wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem and it's driving me to the point that I'm gonna throw this garbage in the trash where it belongs; I've had it.

I've already had my box replaced and the problem remains.   I've not had a tech to the house (yet) because I don't feel I should have to pay for their terrible service.

Below is a log I've been keeping since October showing the reboots that I've been able to catch.  Who knows how many times its rebooting when no one is in front of the box to see it.

Monday, Sept 24
- 6:40 p.m.

Wednesday, Sept 26
- 6:55 p.m.

Thursday, Sept 27
- 5:15 p.m.
- 5:30 p.m.

Friday, Oct 5
- 4:30 p.m.

Saturday, Oct 6
- 3:24 p.m.

Sunday, Oct 7
- 1:07 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct 17
- 6:52 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct 24
- 5:50 p.m.
- 7:58 p.m.
- 8:13 p.m.

Thursday, Nov 1
- 6:33 p.m.

Sunday, Nov 4
- 1:52 p.m.
- 2:54 p.m.
- 5:44 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov 6

Wednesday, Nov 7
- 4:50 p.m.

Friday, Nov 9
- 4:45 p.m.
- 6:43 p.m.

Monday, Nov 12th
- 2:20 p.m.
- 5:22 pm.
- 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov 13

going to need a home visit to find out the problem.

New Poster

Update:  Replaced the XG2 box and all problems gone.  Still, the support experience, and now billing issues, are horrendous.

Regular Visitor

My dvr box keeps rebooting. Other tv, phone, and internet is fine. Had a tech and then a senior tech come and check my system. They couldn’t find anything wrong with the system then added amplifiers and checked all the tv outlets. The senior tech said he detected “foreign voltage” that was coming from the Tv. He said I should call an electrician to check my house. Has anyone heard this before? Would an electrical problem cause the box to keep resetting? I haven’t noticed any electrical issues on my 15 year old home.