Community Forum

Cable box keeps rebooting

New Poster

Re: Cable box keeps rebooting

I am having the same problem. I had basic cable with a basic box and no issues. A few days ago Iupgraded to x1 with HD and after installing in the same place as the previous box it reboots about once in a few hour time period per day.
Expert

@Cmrools wrote:
I am having the same problem. I had basic cable with a basic box and no issues. A few days ago Iupgraded to x1 with HD and after installing in the same place as the previous box it reboots about once in a few hour time period per day.

do you know the cabling in your home including where splitters are connected? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Cable box keeps rebooting,

I'm having same problem as well. I pay way too much for this to keep reoccurring. Comcast repair man has been here, replaced DVR, I'm still having same issues, which I'm really tired of it. I'm having to reboot because of freezings, black outs, etc. All so it reboots it's self 3-4 times a day. Plus, when I watch on demand or Netflix, it freezing and message comes up bout an error. I'm disabled and money is tight, can't tolerate this any longer. I'm thinking about canceling service.
New Poster

I have had this happen to me a few times only to the main DVR box. I have the X1 system and have a total of 6 cable boxes but it is always the main DVR box that keeps resetting. I have went to the local comcast store to exchange this box a few times. Each time the box last only two or three months then I have to go through it all again. Does anyone know why this happens? Do the boxes really go bad that often? Getting a little frustrated with the frequency of this happening. And yes I had to reset it 3 times during the super bowl!

Frequent Visitor

Just a thought - my previous box (it had a digital clock on the front) used to run pretty warm.  It used to reboot several times a day.  I finally took it in and Comcast replaced it with a newer, much smaller model that has just a single light (no clock) and runs much, much cooler than the one it replaced.  Never had a problem after that.  It's possible that heat is your problem.

Frequent Visitor

Also try asking for a brand new cable box, not a refurbished box. I went thru 3 boxes with the same problem and eventually received a brand new one with no problems after.
New Poster

I will ask for a new box and see how that goes. Thanks everyone.

New Poster

I have tried everything. I have called. Xfinity. They sent the stronger signal. Now my bedroom box blacks out and freezes and reboots at least 10 times a night. I can’t take it
New Poster

I had same issue and noted the side vents on DVR were clogged with dust   I carefully pryed the dust balls away from side vent and reset my DVR by unplugging power and waiting a minute before plugging power cord back in    Came back on and havent had this issue again . I think it gets too hot without proper circulation.

Frequent Visitor

The same thing is happening to me. I just exchanged my old cable box for a new one. It is still happening. One TV only, Internet and other TV are OK . It starts with picture and sound interference and then the screen goes blank, then it comes back on. In the meantime, I didn’t hear the important news that I wanted to hear. I have unplugged and disconnected anything else nearby that sends out a Signal. It didn’t help. Roku is not affected, so I know it is not the TV.
Expert

@SVBert-Ernie wrote:
The same thing is happening to me. I just exchanged my old cable box for a new one. It is still happening. One TV only, Internet and other TV are OK . It starts with picture and sound interference and then the screen goes blank, then it comes back on. In the meantime, I didn’t hear the important news that I wanted to hear. I have unplugged and disconnected anything else nearby that sends out a Signal. It didn’t help. Roku is not affected, so I know it is not the TV.

you seem to be describing a low signal/high noise for your incoming signal. you might try running a smart device or desk/laptop for the same channel and when the set top box connected TV starts having the video and sound issue check the streaming version of the same channel and verify that only the set top box has those issues. At that point, you will need a home service call if you have checked all your connections for tightness in the home.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I wish Iknew having same problems here even after several techs and supervisors have come to fix 

new boxwes new connections new wiring to box and new drop frm pedistal to house an the box still reboots atleast 5to 6 times a day no end insite looking at direct tv

Official Employee

Hello All, 

For those of you still experiencing issues with your cable box rebooting, please send me a private message with your first and last name. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I didnt read through every reply but I found this out recently....

Problem- 2nd TV would freeze, sometimes sit for a few seconds then jump back to the show.  Other times it would reboot.   This only happens to the 2nd box.  Also internet would reset.  This has been happening for almost 2 years.  I have read comment after comment that nothing ever get resolved by having the tech come out and everything  checks out.

Sooo......

While in the attic, I was rather confused at the amount of wires and splitters sitting there.  After figuring out which wires run to which outlet and which wire is the main line in I determined these wires were not correctly secured to the splitters the right way and there was even a wire doubling back.  

Long story short--Physically/visually check yourselves that the wires are connected to everything the correct way. " In" means in and " out" means out. If this was part of an electrical circuit either the breaker would keep popping or the house would have burned down.

Since I fixed this, not 1 issue with internet or the 2nd box resetting.  No more freeze issues.   Everything works perfectly! 

May not solve everyones issue, but its worth looking into.

Highlighted
New Poster

I'd like to send PM as noted by ComcastCHE, but I havent't found the "send a message" option after clicking ComcastCHE's ID. I just registered in the forum, so perhaps I need to reply/post first before sending PM?

In any event, I have just developed the same problem noted in this thread after having had X1 equipment successfully installed and running for about 3 months.

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hello All, 

For those of you still experiencing issues with your cable box rebooting, please send me a private message with your first and last name. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

Silver Problem Solver

@TomMSWPA wrote:

I'd like to send PM as noted by ComcastCHE, but I havent't found the "send a message" option after clicking ComcastCHE's ID. I just registered in the forum, so perhaps I need to reply/post first before sending PM?

In any event, I have just developed the same problem noted in this thread after having had X1 equipment successfully installed and running for about 3 months.

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hello All, 

The "send a message" link is sometimes hard to see; it is on the right side of the profile.Send a message-3.jpb.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Started service yesterday experiencing same issue
Official Employee

Hi @Dennye

Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. Sorry for the experience you're having. I'd like to help make this right. In order to assist you, please send me a private message including your first and last name as it appears on your bill, or the name of the account holder (if it's different than yours) and the primary number on the account.  

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Update: technician arrived with my third new Cable box. Installed new X1 box with new cables. I think the problem was in the connecting cable, but could have been the old box as well. Thankfully, with this brand new box, everything is working beautifully.
Official Employee

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm happy they were able to get this resolved. Please send me a private message if you happen to be billed for the tech visit and I'll get it taken care of for you. Thank you for being a valued Comcast customer, take care.