Community Forum

Cable box and audio drop outs & replacement box difficulty

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Cable box and audio drop outs & replacement box difficulty

Some time ago I posted a similar question thinking my Tv was responsible. I have ruled that out. I am an 88 years old long time Comcast customer and am having annoying audio drop outs on my TV ( both live and recorded programs). An Since I have a new Samsung smart tv with no history of audio issues an Xfinity employee feels it is the leased cable box at fault which is an older version (Pace PX013ANC). I have had frustrating difficulty getting a replacment for this box in he past. I need this type cable box because it has audio out RCA connections I wire link to my older analog stereo player. The newer cable boxes that Xfinity is pushing lack these audio out connections. If I am unable to get an Xfinity replacement of a cable box with audio out RCA ports I may be forced to go with the newer box - if so, this same Comcast employee thinks there is an adapter available from Xfinity or a 3rd party retailer that would allow me to continue to use my older expensive analogue stereo.
Any suggestions or guidance would be welcomed,
Frank

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Cable box and audio drop outs & replacement box difficulty

@fdm2000 wrote:

Some time ago I posted a similar question thinking my Tv was responsible. I have ruled that out. I am an 88 years old long time Comcast customer and am having annoying audio drop outs on my TV ( both live and recorded programs). An Since I have a new Samsung smart tv with no history of audio issues an Xfinity employee feels it is the leased cable box at fault which is an older version (Pace PX013ANC). I have had frustrating difficulty getting a replacment for this box in he past. I need this type cable box because it has audio out RCA connections I wire link to my older analog stereo player. The newer cable boxes that Xfinity is pushing lack these audio out connections. If I am unable to get an Xfinity replacement of a cable box with audio out RCA ports I may be forced to go with the newer box - if so, this same Comcast employee thinks there is an adapter available from Xfinity or a 3rd party retailer that would allow me to continue to use my older expensive analogue stereo.
Any suggestions or guidance would be welcomed,
Frank

not sure that the problem is the box (I had 4 of those at the same time never had an audio dropout). is your audio set to stereo output in the audio menu of the x1 set top box? 

the future 'new' box (like an xg1v4 HD DVR - same rental price as your box) would need this type of adapter  ( Amazon link ). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks once again Rustyben for your reply and assistance. I checked my Xfinity cable box and the audio settings are: HDMI audio output is stereo (PCM) and the Digital Audio output (optical/SPD iF Stereo Dolbi 5.1 audio will be output in surround sound.

The audio adapter you listed will fit the bill when I move to the newer cable box.

What is odd about the audio dropouts is the time intervals between them. There will often be several days with no dropouts and then one night it occurs all evening and may not return for days again? I now wonder if it could be the service drop that may be reacting to climatic conditions , e.g., rain or winds, loose connection etc - but would that not also affect the video as well?

Highlighted
Expert

@fdm2000 wrote:

Thanks once again Rustyben for your reply and assistance. I checked my Xfinity cable box and the audio settings are: HDMI audio output is stereo (PCM) and the Digital Audio output (optical/SPD iF Stereo Dolbi 5.1 audio will be output in surround sound.

The audio adapter you listed will fit the bill when I move to the newer cable box.

What is odd about the audio dropouts is the time intervals between them. There will often be several days with no dropouts and then one night it occurs all evening and may not return for days again? I now wonder if it could be the service drop that may be reacting to climatic conditions , e.g., rain or winds, loose connection etc - but would that not also affect the video as well?

sure it is possible. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!