Community Forum

Cable Box stuck in "Booting"... again

New Poster

Cable Box stuck in "Booting"... again

I posted my original solution to another thread but maybe it's locked bc I can no longer reply, well here's my original post:

MY SOLUTION:

My problem began when power was cut to my XG1-A cable box.  Next time I plugged it in the screen flashed, said it could take several minutes to load then nothing happened, internal fan running high speed, TV went blank, display on front of cable box said "boot" for at least an hour, unresponsive to pushing button on front of cable box or buttons on remote.  Tried unplug/plug again, a few times, same issue.  This is what worked for me:

- Unplug power AND coax cable from back of cable box

- Plug in power ONLY, let it sit in "boot" limbo for ~15 minutes

- Unplug power

- Plug in coax cable first, then power

This sequence worked for me, started up properly and is working fine now, hopefully it works for you w/o needing to deal with tech support.

UPDATE: READ IF PREVIOUS SEQUENCE DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU 

We had a quick power loss the other night and cable box (model AX013ANM) went into "booting" limbo, tried my usual sequence... grr, fail.  So we called tech support but there was nothing they could do from their side that fixed the problem (cable box showed as "not connected" on their end).  Best option, swap the box at local office or have tech support come to the house at first available time, middle of the day 2 days from now.  I plan to swap the box but wanted to get it running in the meantime, this is the sequence that worked this time:

- Unplug power AND coax cable from back of cable box

- Let sit unpluged for at least 5 minutes (yeah, seems excessive but it worked)

- Plug in power ONLY

- Watch screen until "Welcome to the X1 Platform, Connecting to your entertainment experience" splash screen shows on TV

- Plug in coax cable while above screen is displayed

Good luck, hope one of these gets you running.

Official Employee

Re: Cable Box stuck in "Booting"... again

Your dvr is out of spec. Unrelated to X1, your modem is out of spec too. Remove any unnecessary splitters to get into spec and you shouldn't have to worry about rebooting.
Frequent Visitor

We have had Comcast out 5 times and this is our 4th or 5th x1 box. Every morning the box says boot and we have to turn on the main tv and allow it to go through rebooting for 20 minutes. None of the other TVs will work until the main tv is rebooted. There hasn’t been a tech who could figure out the problem and they say they have never had this issue before. Obviously by this thread and others it happens quite often. Does this have anything to do with the Harmony remote which we use to turn off all the equipment each night? Additionally if there is a firmwear upgrade, we have to call Comcast for a forced update or nothing works. I’ve spent countless hours waiting for techs, appointments which are randomly cancelled and on hold for a manager/supervisor who had no solution or apology for our inconvenience. All suggestions welcome!
Expert

Unchappy wrote:
We have had Comcast out 5 times and this is our 4th or 5th x1 box. Every morning the box says boot and we have to turn on the main tv and allow it to go through rebooting for 20 minutes. None of the other TVs will work until the main tv is rebooted. There hasn’t been a tech who could figure out the problem and they say they have never had this issue before. Obviously by this thread and others it happens quite often. Does this have anything to do with the Harmony remote which we use to turn off all the equipment each night? Additionally if there is a firmwear upgrade, we have to call Comcast for a forced update or nothing works. I’ve spent countless hours waiting for techs, appointments which are randomly cancelled and on hold for a manager/supervisor who had no solution or apology for our inconvenience. All suggestions welcome!

Hi, what equipment do you have (set top model numbers)?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

X1 i don’t know which manufacturer. It’s in the cabinet with such tight cables i can’t pull it out to look on back. It is the 4th box.
Silver Problem Solver

Unchappy wrote:
X1 i don’t know which manufacturer. It’s in the cabinet with such tight cables i can’t pull it out to look on back. It is the 4th box.

Settings About will display information about the box.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-settings-index/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! The Receiver is Native version 2.13.0.
Frequent Visitor

Still no solution from Comcast and now we are again locked in Software update which will not load.
Expert

Unchappy wrote:
Still no solution from Comcast and now we are again locked in Software update which will not load.

have a Comcast office nearby to swap out the box (fast fix)?

Frequent Visitor

It’s been swapped out 4 times already.
Silver Problem Solver

Unchappy wrote:
Thank you! The Receiver is Native version 2.13.0.

Somewhere in that display is the model name.  Mine is mx011an.DVR Den.JPG

New Poster

I am having the same problem.  No splitter.  Previous box worked fine.  "Get into spec" is completely unhelpful jargon.  What spec?  Signal strength through the coax isn't high enough?  Well it was working before.  That makes no sense.  

Just stuck in booting mode and nothing will fix it.  Clearly MANY customers experience the same problem (not hard to find these threads on google).  Replace the box seems like a crazy answer.  How many iphones come out of the box nonfunctioning?  Its way more complicated than a cable box.  I'll bet its a far, far smaller number than the number of boxes comcast customers are asked to swap out.   

Expert

wrote:

I am having the same problem.  No splitter.  Previous box worked fine.  "Get into spec" is completely unhelpful jargon.  What spec?  Signal strength through the coax isn't high enough?  Well it was working before.  That makes no sense.  

Just stuck in booting mode and nothing will fix it.  Clearly MANY customers experience the same problem (not hard to find these threads on google).  Replace the box seems like a crazy answer.  How many iphones come out of the box nonfunctioning?  Its way more complicated than a cable box.  I'll bet its a far, far smaller number than the number of boxes comcast customers are asked to swap out.   

your reply is similar to a 'me too' post but since you don't state your set top box model number nor error code it is difficult to attempt to assist.

Official Employee

Starlord1, the X1 boxes use a specific range of signal levels to operate properly, those are specs. The original poster had multiple issues. Looks like you’re being sent a replacement box, usually that’s the solution
New Poster

The second option worked for me!! Thank you so much. Going to wait in a long Comcast line with a 2 year old to swap my box was not sounding pleasing and I had been on hold waiting for a representative for 2 rounds of 20 minutes wait each when it said expected wait time of 5 minutes or less. This was a life savor, thanks!
New Poster

The first method worked for me. Thank you for sharing this. Comcast tech support couldn't help me... unbelievably frustrating. I'm very grateful.