Community Forum

Cable Box stuck in Booting

New Poster

Cable Box stuck in Booting

My main room Cable box froze - it wouldn't go to regular guide and the picture was playing behind the subject guide screen. The box turned off and came up with the standard screen saying it would take a minute to come up. It then said "Booting" on the front of the box. I have powered the box off three times and it get stuck in "Booting". My second room box works unless I try to watch a DVR show then it comes up with a message to Check your "living room" player connections , be sure it is plugged into a power source"

I have only had this service three weeks and this is already my second major problem. I am thinking I made a very wrong choice!

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: Cable Box stuck in Booting

Official Employee

MolliB wrote:

My main room Cable box froze - it wouldn't go to regular guide and the picture was playing behind the subject guide screen. The box turned off and came up with the standard screen saying it would take a minute to come up. It then said "Booting" on the front of the box. I have powered the box off three times and it get stuck in "Booting". My second room box works unless I try to watch a DVR show then it comes up with a message to Check your "living room" player connections , be sure it is plugged into a power source"

I have only had this service three weeks and this is already my second major problem. I am thinking I made a very wrong choice!

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

In reviewing your account, I can see that your immediate area is in an unplanned outage which would cause intermittent connectivity issues. This would cause the the box to not be able to complete the boot up and update sequence.

The current estimated time of repair is 7:30pm today. Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

This has not worked since Monday 6/16/14 - its now Wednesday 6/18/14

New Poster

My box continues to reboot and reboot continuously. hours and hours online and on the phone with techs, 2 techs at home, no help. Just keeps rebooting over and over and over and...you get the picture. Been 2 weeks not and it just sucks. 

Problem Solver

What model box is this? Did they offer to swap the box when they were out at your home?

New Poster

I had this same issue a couple of days ago. Cable box/dvr said boot. tv display said something about resetting and would take several minutes. About 20 min later I got tired of waiting so called Comcast. Made my way thru menu and got to tech support and got a rep pretty quickly. He was able to somehow reset our system and everything was as it should be.

Gold Problem Solver

joannesavage wrote:

I had this same issue a couple of days ago. Cable box/dvr said boot. tv display said something about resetting and would take several minutes. About 20 min later I got tired of waiting so called Comcast. Made my way thru menu and got to tech support and got a rep pretty quickly. He was able to somehow reset our system and everything was as it should be.

If this happems again in the future, the box is stuck in the boot process...   you can reboot the box as a first step and see if that clears the condition....   if it doesn't then the call into Comcast wil be needed.

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

After the evening reboot for updates my X1 box is stuck in boot, and whatever time of day I go to sit down and watch, I have to unplug the box for 30 seconds to manually restart it, and then it will boot normally and work until the next evening reboot.

Why does the overnight boot fail every time?

Silver Problem Solver

I've never had this issue, but I would guess there is either an issue with your connection to the Comcast servers, or you have a defective X1 box that needs to be replaced.

Replacement is my best guess.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

DougSnaza wrote:

After the evening reboot for updates my X1 box is stuck in boot, and whatever time of day I go to sit down and watch, I have to unplug the box for 30 seconds to manually restart it, and then it will boot normally and work until the next evening reboot.

Why does the overnight boot fail every time?

Robert gave the best advice possible....  something is wrong somewhere and we all know how inconvenient a reboot process, when you are settling in to watch TV, can be...  It doesn't have to be.   If your market allows Self-Install I would swap it out at your nearest Service Center.  If it doesn't call into Comcast and explain your issue and ask that a Tech be dispatched to take a look at your issue!!!

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

This happens to me several times a week.  I've found it requires a power cycle (unplug, plug back in) to fix, but, that has always fixed it.

I wish it didn't happen, because it's a pain to have to go out to the garage, where my STB's live . . . .

Silver Problem Solver

CodeMonky wrote:

This happens to me several times a week.  I've found it requires a power cycle (unplug, plug back in) to fix, but, that has always fixed it.

I wish it didn't happen, because it's a pain to have to go out to the garage, where my STB's live . . . .

How long is the coax running to the X1 boxes?  I have two that are about 60 feet in my attic.  But I have a Comcast-supplied powered amp at one end.

EVO1-9-UU.JPG

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

It's about 30' to my cable modem -- which I constantly have to reboot, too.

The run to X1 is much longer, but, again, Comcast ran it, and, it doesn't have problems until it gets into a reboot loop, and, a power cycle always fixes it.

Silver Problem Solver

Hmm.  The coax comes into a splitter at the outside of my home.  One coax goes to my cable modem and the other goes to my powered amp.  Then there are coaxes going to each of my X1 boxes from the amp.

New Poster

MY SOLUTION:

My problem began when power was cut to my XG1-A cable box.  Next time I plugged it in the screen flashed, said it could take several minutes to load then nothing happened, internal fan running high speed, TV went blank, display on front of cable box said "boot" for at least an hour, unresponsive to pushing button on front of cable box or buttons on remote.  Tried unplug/plug again, a few times, same issue.  This is what worked for me:

- Unplug power AND coax cable from back of cable box

- Plug in power ONLY, let it sit in "boot" limbo for ~15 minutes

- Unplug power

- Plug in coax cable first, then power

This sequence worked for me, started up properly and is working fine now, hopefully it works for you w/o needing to deal with tech support.

New Poster

ThatGuy2 wrote:

MY SOLUTION:

My problem began when power was cut to my XG1-A cable box.  Next time I plugged it in the screen flashed, said it could take several minutes to load then nothing happened, internal fan running high speed, TV went blank, display on front of cable box said "boot" for at least an hour, unresponsive to pushing button on front of cable box or buttons on remote.  Tried unplug/plug again, a few times, same issue.  This is what worked for me:

- Unplug power

This sequence worked for me, started up properly and is working fine now, hopefully it works for you w/o needing to deal with tech support.

THANKS!!!!! This worked for me has I had the same problem todat 06/19/2016

New Poster

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! For almost a week now I've been dealing with this. First go round with your directions BAM! All is good.
Frequent Visitor

I am going to try this when i get home as I am having a very similar issue. I have tried everything from switching splitters, coax cables, hdmi cables etc BUT have not tried this yet. Will let you know if it works.

New Poster

ThatGuy2 wrote:

MY SOLUTION:

- Unplug power

In my case, I performed this exact sequence with the exception of lettin the box sit without the coax plugged in until the display indicated "CAst". Then performed the final two steps and booted up normally (after an update). Thanks very much for this tip.

Official Employee

v99 wrote:

ThatGuy2 wrote:

MY SOLUTION:

- Unplug power

In my case, I performed this exact sequence with the exception of lettin the box sit without the coax plugged in until the display indicated "CAst". Then performed the final two steps and booted up normally (after an update). Thanks very much for this tip.

Both your modem and the DVR are both far out of spec. Your modem is also considered end of life and should be replaced. I would get a tech out to not only swap your modem but troubleshoot your signal levels.

Expert
Moved: