Community Forum

Cable Box connected to XFi

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Cable Box connected to XFi

My cables boxes, XG2 and the XG1v4 are showing connected to my Xfi gateway in the XFi app tonight. Since when do these connect to the gateway?

Tek
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Cable Box connected to XFi

They don’t but they are connected to your internet service. They are just there for show, there’s no control through the XFi app

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Is this new? I literally got a new device connected alert tonight for them. They previously never showed in the Xfi app. 

It does say they are hard wired when you click on them. 

Tek
Diamond Problem Solver

It’s been that way since XFi app was released(X1 boxes show), can’t speak for why it just popped up on yours now.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Tek wrote:

My cables boxes, XG2 and the XG1v4 are showing connected to my Xfi gateway in the XFi app tonight. Since when do these connect to the gateway?

They show up as a MOCA connection in the xFi app/website.  I was pleased to see them appear; I suspect there was an update to the xFi Service to include them.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

Only my boxes with tuners show.

The Xi3 / XiD boxes without the tuners do not show. Is that correct? 

I assume since they don't connect to anything other than the main box that they would not show. 

I also like they they show now. 

Tek
Diamond Problem Solver

The boxes with tuners have an internal modem, that’s why they show.

Frequent Visitor

I also enabled my MoCA today in the admin site and all my tv boxes appeared. I am wondering if the boxes serves as a MoCA? or do I still need to purchase one?

Diamond Problem Solver

@iamdinodavid
What exactly are you referring to, your post lacks details

Frequent Visitor

I mean why my tv boxes appeared when I enabled my MoCA does it serves/function like a MoCA (Actiontec, tplink, etc..) I am also able to see in myXfi. what is the use? can I manage it as well?
Diamond Problem Solver

If the moca is enabled on the gateway, it’s sole purpose is to make a wireless X1 box work. There are no other controls, it’s off or on only

Frequent Visitor

oh ok. because the status is enabled but unconnected. please see my screenshot. and also i wanted to assign certain devices in each box. i have 1 dvr and 5 non-dvr

Annotation 2019-04-23 125452.png

Gold Problem Solver

What are the model numbers of your boxes?

One X1 DVR with 5 non DVR boxes is a really poor combination unless at least one of the non DVR boxes is an XG2.

@iamdinodavid wrote:

oh ok. because the status is enabled but unconnected. please see my screenshot. and also i wanted to assign certain devices in each box. i have 1 dvr and 5 non-dvr

Annotation 2019-04-23 125452.png

Frequent Visitor

oh actually i got 3(xg2 or XiD x1) and 2(xi3)  and my dvr  is XG1v3 (but i will replace it today with arris x1gv4

Gold Problem Solver

As long as you have an XG1V4 and a couple XG2s you should be ok.

I am not a big fan of the Xi 3 boxes.
Frequent Visitor

What about the MoCA services? Can i manage that? And what else i can do with xg1v4?
Diamond Problem Solver

No, as stated above the only Moca control is on and off. The only thing you can do with the XG1V4 (and all the other X1 boxes) is watch your cable service. I’m not sure what else you have in mind

Frequent Visitor

i just wanted to use the MoCA Services because its enabled then when i diagnose it, it says that Currently MoCA devices are not connected to the Gateway. and i am just wondering since i have a bunch of boxes if i can assign certain devices (phone, tablet, pc, etc) to it.

Diamond Problem Solver

No, the moca is for the X1 boxes. You can set up a separate moca network in your house with the proper equipment. What are you trying to diagnose or exactly trying to accomplish?

Frequent Visitor

Oh ok. I thought i dont need MoCA equipment (actiontec, tplink, etc.) i thought that the set-top boxes is like that. I just went to MoCA diagnostics in my admin site.
Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes produce the MOCA connections they require.

3rd party MOCA devices almost always interfere with X1 MOCA communication.