Community Forum

Cable Box Making a loud Fan Like noise

New Poster

Cable Box Making a loud Fan Like noise

I have had the X1 box for over two weeks and it is the loudest box I have ever heard. It make a loud fan like noise like a an old Macintosh LCII compyter running. Even when we are not watching tv and it is on it it the oloudest thing in the house. How do I make this stop? Do I need a new box?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cable Box Making a loud Fan Like noise

Take it in and swap it for another one.

New Poster

where do i do that? they have to come to my house right? plus it is an X1 HD box

Silver Problem Solver

You can try calling and see if they will bring you one. Getting through to them can be very frustrating.

Try going to your local office and see what they have, you cannot call them.

You can google the location.

Valued Contributor

train610 wrote:

where do i do that? they have to come to my house right? plus it is an X1 HD box

X1 boxes are not kept at the xfnity stores. You'll have to call to have a service visit to get a new one installed.

Regular Visitor

I just got new HD cable boxes. The main HD box makes a very loud fan noise--don't know if its a fan or a hard-drive. I've been back to the Comcast store three times, have tried 3 different boxes. I've also called Comcast and talked to them on phone--they don't seem to know why the noise. At the Comcast store we plugged in the box I brought back and it didn't make a noise. I've tried using a new surge protector, plugging into other outlets, tried plugging in w/no other tech near. I've never had any electrical issues at my house and have other/more sensitive technology equipment--never a problem. Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening? There must be some very sensitive sensor? in this equipment? Has anyone heard of this problem? Remedy? Thx!

Expert

poipu wrote:

I just got new HD cable boxes. The main HD box makes a very loud fan noise--don't know if its a fan or a hard-drive. I've been back to the Comcast store three times, have tried 3 different boxes. I've also called Comcast and talked to them on phone--they don't seem to know why the noise. At the Comcast store we plugged in the box I brought back and it didn't make a noise. I've tried using a new surge protector, plugging into other outlets, tried plugging in w/no other tech near. I've never had any electrical issues at my house and have other/more sensitive technology equipment--never a problem. Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening? There must be some very sensitive sensor? in this equipment? Has anyone heard of this problem? Remedy? Thx!

is this equipment part of the X1 xfinity TV package or the older Legacy HD and DVRs? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Hi--its X1 Infinity package. I'm in California. Thx
Expert

poipu wrote:
Hi--its X1 Infinity package. I'm in California. Thx

Thank you for the reply. I have 3 pace DVRs one greenie and 2 blueies. I examined one of the blueies with a strong cree LED flashlight and looked into each of the surfaces for a fan did not find one at all. I can only hear the hard drive at point of reboot, when I get 2nd 'connecting' screen the drive goes off or so low power i can't hear it at all.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!