Community Forum

Bridge mode not compatible with all IP video? (when I toggle bridge mode....my DVR box errors)

Regular Visitor

Bridge mode not compatible with all IP video? (when I toggle bridge mode....my DVR box errors)

Hi folks -

New Comcast customer in South Florida and have had service for almost a month now.  I went to install my Orbi mesh Wifi the other night.....which meant putting the X1 into bridge mode (right?).  

Well, doing that results in a connection error of the DVR box - says it can't connect to the box, check coaxial connections.  RDK03036.   Of course I made no changes to the physical wiring of the box.   Turning OFF bridge mode on the gateway restores the signal, turning it back ON knocks it out again so this is confirmed to be directly related to bridge mode.

My setup is this: main coax line from the service box to a 2-way splitter:  1.  X1 gateway (PN: CGM4140COM)  2. DVR box (XiD-C, model CXD01ANI).  Additionally I have two wireless boxes Xi6-A (model AX061AEI).  

Interestingly, the wireless boxes work fine - but somehow the only WIRED box has a problem with bridge mode.  Just got off the phone with tech support and after 30minutes, she was not really able to provide a precise solution.....noting that this "all IP video" is a relatively new thing and seems to be trial'ing in my area.   FWIW, I didn't want these wireless boxes but that's what was brought for the initial setup and actually according to the rep I spoke to today, I don't have a choice.  

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I only have a few days left of my 30-day "trial" to cancel, if that's ultimately what needs to happen.  

Expert

Re: Bridge mode not compatible with all IP video? (when I toggle bridge mode....my DVR box errors)

@A527G wrote:

Hi folks -

New Comcast customer in South Florida and have had service for almost a month now.  I went to install my Orbi mesh Wifi the other night.....which meant putting the X1 into bridge mode (right?).  

Well, doing that results in a connection error of the DVR box - says it can't connect to the box, check coaxial connections.  RDK03036.   Of course I made no changes to the physical wiring of the box.   Turning OFF bridge mode on the gateway restores the signal, turning it back ON knocks it out again so this is confirmed to be directly related to bridge mode.

My setup is this: main coax line from the service box to a 2-way splitter:  1.  X1 gateway (PN: CGM4140COM)  2. DVR box (XiD-C, model CXD01ANI).  Additionally I have two wireless boxes Xi6-A (model AX061AEI).  

Interestingly, the wireless boxes work fine - but somehow the only WIRED box has a problem with bridge mode.  Just got off the phone with tech support and after 30minutes, she was not really able to provide a precise solution.....noting that this "all IP video" is a relatively new thing and seems to be trial'ing in my area.   FWIW, I didn't want these wireless boxes but that's what was brought for the initial setup and actually according to the rep I spoke to today, I don't have a choice.  

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I only have a few days left of my 30-day "trial" to cancel, if that's ultimately what needs to happen.  

go to your DVR connected TV. does the DVR have a clock on its face? do voice command 'about' - what is the line after STB version? the numbers you showed are for a non-DVR companion set top box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Bridge mode not compatible with all IP video? (when I toggle bridge mode....my DVR box errors)

You have DVR service just not a physical DVR. If you’re using IP service you need to leave the gateway as is.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:
You have DVR service just not a physical DVR. If you’re using IP service you need to leave the gateway as is.

If a customer is paying for DVR service why not have an actual physical DVR that allows you to record many more hours/shows than a cloud-only DVR? 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

It could be what’s available in that market

Regular Visitor

So when the error msg is on screen, using the voice command nor any other function buttons on the remote will work.  So I'm not able to tell what version the STB is.  

This is the guilty party though, in case it helps....

IMG_5626.jpg

I now see the fallacy in referring to this as my "DVR box."  I did know that the recordings are cloud-based and not physically on a drive, but the tech who installed these repeatedly called this (the one in the picture) the DVR box.   So, somehow I thought this box had different DVR capabilities (could pause longer, for example) than the other wireless boxes. 

So, with all that said - a few questions....

Could I swap this XiD-C box out for a third Xi6-A (wireless) box?   If I'm being forced into this total video IP, and all the DVR is cloud-based - is there actually a differentiation in set top box functionality?  Why do I have two different types of boxes.....

ComcastAndrew, am I reading this right?  

"You have DVR service just not a physical DVR. If you’re using IP service you need to leave the gateway as is."

Soooo, the X1 gateway cannot be used in bridge mode if using IP service?  Wow, talk about hands being tied

I'm still just baffled how the wireless boxes continue to function fine, but the one box that is physically connected with coaxial ....is the one with the problem?    Really hoping I can just ditch this XiD-C box for a Xi6-A wireless.......

Thanks much  for the assistance!

Diamond Problem Solver

I’ve escalated it up to a colleague to see what options your market has. Generally it’s 2 Xi6 to a customer.

Regular Visitor

Ahh, I see.  But presumably a third wireless box fixes the problem without change in DVR functionality - right?  Ok well thank you for escalating and hopefully there is a resolution soon!  

Official Employee

Hi, A527G. Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Please send me a private message with your name so I can look into what equipment options we have for you. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Thanks for taking the time to work with me, A527G. If you end up needing further support with this beyond where we left off, please feel free to reply to my last private message. Thank you, take care. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to work with me, A527G. If you end up needing further support with this beyond where we left off, please feel free to reply to my last private message. Thank you, take care. 

what was the problem that was fixed?