Community Forum

Brand new X1 with terrible HD quality and bad picture

New Poster

I just got the new X1 installed. I brought a new LG TV and every channel seems pixelated or with significant poor picture quality. I pay a lot of money to get Comcast's HD service and I am getting far lower quality on my tv than what I pay for. Every channel, there are major rectangles, pixels, and just seriously bad picture quality. I'm using a $100+ hmdi cable and there is no difference from the cable xfinity supplied. Why is my picture quality terrible?
image.jpg
New Poster

Re: Brand new X1 with terrible HD quality and bad picture

It's interesting you should post this. I just got X11 hooked up today and I've been fiddling with it all evening. I have multiple tvs and realize that I just downgraded my video quality by switching to Xfinity :-( I don't see the crispness I am used from previous cable company. It's as if it's not true 1080p.
Expert

Mknott2 wrote:
It's interesting you should post this. I just got X11 hooked up today and I've been fiddling with it all evening. I have multiple tvs and realize that I just downgraded my video quality by switching to Xfinity :-( I don't see the crispness I am used from previous cable company. It's as if it's not true 1080p.

no one in usa is broadcasting in 1080p

future at comcast is 720p60 and mpeg4

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Looks like you are using a non HD connection. Make sure you using an HDMI cable and verify that your TV is actually set to an HDMI input.
New Poster

The funny thing is I am using an HDMI cord. It cost about $105. I switched out from the HDMI cord that Comcast supplied with. O noticeable change in quality. I'm glad that you guys are seeing the poor quality and I'm not just crazy.
Gold Problem Solver

Actually from the pictures you posted it is kinda hard to tell.

Exactly what TV do you have?

What resolution is the X1 box set to?

Which X1 box are you talking about? Personally I think the X1 DVRs have better picture than the secondary boxes do.

Yesterday I was at a friend's for Easter. He is on DirecTV and had just bought a new but lower end LG 65". My 65" LG OLED on an X1 DVR looks vastly superior so the TV has something to do with it.
New Poster

that's understood but the upscaling done just is not what I'm used to.  I am sure I have it on the correct settings.  I can still plug in my old WOW box because i haven't shut that off.  Another odd issue is that when I stream netflix I can see banding issues on dark screens.  This is actually common when you attempt to show HD at a lower resolution.  So even though I'm at 75mbps, which is almsot 10x my previous speed, are you trying to tell me I don't have enough to stream netlix properly?

Expert
Moved:

Expert

Why is the picture you supplied grossly zoomed in? That would of course show pixels.

Try setting your TV picture setting to "Fit screen".

Is the cable-box set to 1080i or 1080p? You could also try 720p to see what happens.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

When will people realize a $5 hdmi cable is exactly the same as a $105 one?

FOX HD has looked terrible the past couple days
Frequent Visitor

Yeah their HD is hot garbage. LOL about the HDMI cords, I got 3 high speed, hdr, 4k cords for $10 from monoprice. Anyways, I'm actually impressed at how bad it looks compared to my old DirecTV. I did, however, order the 4k box which just arrived and am about to hook that up. Just waiting on a 4k capable receiver to pass through. Hopefully that upscales their picture.
New Poster

I agree that Comcast's HD is pretty terrible. It always looks a bit pixelated on my 4k LG HDR TV. It's remarkable how much worse it is than accessing HD video through my Smart TV's app's, like Netflix. I even find it better to stream with Chromecast. For example, my friend's and I watched Game of Thrones together and realized it was much better to wait until the stream started on HBO Go and to stream that to the TV with Chromecast than to watch the show on HBO as it aired via the cable connection. Strange that a streaming video over Wifi casted to the TV is Crystal clear when the cable connection to the TV is far worse. Any idea when Comcast will up its game in this regard?
Expert

wrote:
I agree that Comcast's HD is pretty terrible. It always looks a bit pixelated on my 4k LG HDR TV. It's remarkable how much worse it is than accessing HD video through my Smart TV's app's, like Netflix. I even find it better to stream with Chromecast. For example, my friend's and I watched Game of Thrones together and realized it was much better to wait until the stream started on HBO Go and to stream that to the TV with Chromecast than to watch the show on HBO as it aired via the cable connection. Strange that a streaming video over Wifi casted to the TV is Crystal clear when the cable connection to the TV is far worse. Any idea when Comcast will up its game in this regard?

what do you have the output of the set top box output? native is 720p60 for all but maybe a few local channels that might be in 1080i

Official Employee
Moved:

Baiting Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [personal identifying information in image]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379