Community Forum

Blue Screen

New Poster

Blue Screen

So I have this new X1 but it keeps going to a blue screen!!! Very frustrating never had this problem with the old system. Have done some research and followed some suggestions.It still keeps happening.Are there any fixes for this

Expert

Re: Blue Screen

dmrdsox1 wrote:

So I have this new X1 but it keeps going to a blue screen!!! Very frustrating never had this problem with the old system. Have done some research and followed some suggestions.It still keeps happening.Are there any fixes for this

any words/texts/error messages on the screen? are you sure your TV is set (when blue) to the HDMI connector that the X1 set top box is connected? chance of a screen shot? what is the sequence ... just watching TV and it turns blue? is sound ok? If it is a CRT (not LED flat screen) you may have a bad CRT that is 'shorting out' (element to element). 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

ComcastAndrew has told us many times before that a blue screen means the box needs to be replaced.

dmrdsox1 wrote:

New Poster

Thanks for the info. We have a blue screen only on the DVR box. After testing on HDMI with Blu-Ray--video and sound play fine, especially switching out between HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3. We checked all HDMI cables (all functional) and boxes in other rooms work fine. I'll give one more shot to switch boxes between rooms before returning to Xfinity/Comcast store. Helped me isolate problem! Thanks all.
Tags (1)
New Poster

did you get this resolved?  I have a similar blue screen on DVR box 1st day after setting up.  Only happens when I turn off the TV and then turn back on.  screen is blue.  Only way to clear it is to push the power button on the front of the box, on and off.

New Poster

Yes.  After all the extra checks in troubleshooting the box, HDMI cables, TV, and etc, taking it in to the xfinity store and exchanging for a new box was our resolution.  No appointment needed and wait wasn't too long (less than ten people in line and overall exchange was less than 25 minutes).  Switch out of old device for new one was easy.  Bringing home and installing new box was as easy as following instructions to set up the device and new remote.  Nothing more--service seamless.  

Just wondering why the boxes fail so frequently to begin with--the store reps had no issues with the need to change out the box.  

Good luck!  

New Poster

My tv is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out how to fix the problem?
Gold Problem Solver

Is there any chance you read the thread you posted in? Your answer is contained within the thread more than once...

Mztee06 wrote:
My tv is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out how to fix the problem?

New Poster

I had the same blue screen problem with the X1 Cable Box and Samsung KU7000 TV. Tried changing hdmi cords, unplugging/rebooting box and tv, switching hdmi ports, etc. I then checked various settings on the tv and under "Picture - Expert Settings - HDMI UHD Color," saw that the setting had been enabled, and turned it off on the hdmi port the cable box was using. Problem solved. The cable signal came back on with a normal picture. Don't know what caused the sudden problem, as this was the configuration I had been using since I first set up the new tv. Maybe automatic OTA software or firmware update from tv or X1? So far, so good. Hopefully this will permanently resolve the problem without having to exchange the X1 box.

New Poster

We had the same issue with our new Samsung Ultra HDTV.  Intermittent blue screens with no resolution except to power cycle the TV.  Its an issue with the Xfinity boxes and HDMI signal output.  I got an older box with component and the problem went away.  Figures the fix is to downgrade equipment.  Typical Comcast runarounds!  

New Poster

Our Samsung has worked great, about 4 years old, about 2 weeks ago I was watching it in the morning, no problems, by evenin-blue screen and no sound, but it is registering a signal.  If you reset the box you will get the generic setup x1 info, then goes blue.  Xbox one works fine, Amazon Fire Stick, works fine, but not X1.  Changed all HDMI chords and moved to different HDMI ports; problem always follows the X1.  Comcast came out and replaced the X1, 1st one was bad right out of the bad and would fail every test with Comcast, but still blue screen.  2nd one passed all tests, but still blue screen.  The tech then brought in a small LCD, it worked, hook up to Samsung, blue screen.  Tech thought it may be a firmware issue in the X1.  He said he would talk to a supervisor and call me back later the same day.  That was 2 days ago.  X1 is garbage.  Comcast dropped the ball with customer support, but they still get the monthly service charge every month.  Might be time to find a new provider for HD content.  The standard coaxial picture works, Terrible Quality, but it works.

Silver Problem Solver

X1NotWorking wrote:

Our Samsung has worked great, about 4 years old, about 2 weeks ago I was watching it in the morning, no problems, by evenin-blue screen and no sound, but it is registering a signal.  If you reset the box you will get the generic setup x1 info, then goes blue.  Xbox one works fine, Amazon Fire Stick, works fine, but not X1.  Changed all HDMI chords and moved to different HDMI ports; problem always follows the X1.  Comcast came out and replaced the X1, 1st one was bad right out of the bad and would fail every test with Comcast, but still blue screen.  2nd one passed all tests, but still blue screen.  The tech then brought in a small LCD, it worked, hook up to Samsung, blue screen.  Tech thought it may be a firmware issue in the X1.  He said he would talk to a supervisor and call me back later the same day.  That was 2 days ago.  X1 is garbage.  Comcast dropped the ball with customer support, but they still get the monthly service charge every month.  Might be time to find a new provider for HD content.  The standard coaxial picture works, Terrible Quality, but it works.

What do you mean by "standard coaxial picture works"?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Hooked up new tv with Comcast. One problem. When I turn off the cable box the tv goes to blue. Why?
Expert

Lynn51 wrote:
Hooked up new tv with Comcast. One problem. When I turn off the cable box the tv goes to blue. Why?

if you mean you press the power button or use the menu to put the box into power save mode, it is because you did that. The X1 set top boxes work best and are designed to be left on all the time. 

Silver Problem Solver

Lynn51 wrote:

Turn off the TV when you turn off the STB or don't turn off the STB and only turn off the TV with the STB remote.

Regular Visitor

New tv and works fine. Except when I turn it off the cable box goes off and the tv screen goes to all blue. Anybody know why?
Expert

Lynn51 wrote:
New tv and works fine. Except when I turn it off the cable box goes off and the tv screen goes to all blue. Anybody know why?

by off you mean power-save mode as the X1 set top boxes won't turn off and are on 24/7. One way to not have the problem is in the post just before your post where it says don't put the set top box in power-save mode. 

New Poster

After buying a new 4k tv, I have recently been experiencing the same issues that I never had with my old tv. After an on-demand show or randomly when watching live tv my picture would go black and recently blue. After some trial and error I've found a solution (at least until I go get a newer box). Whenever I experiance this issue, I go into my sound settings and switch between PCM and Bitstream. I don't believe this has anything to do with the sound, but selecting between the two will reset your picture and so far corrects the issue each time. Let me know if that works for anyone or if its just a solution for me. Hope that helps out. 👍