Community Forum

Black flashing on TV with 1080p setting

New Poster

Black flashing on TV with 1080p setting

This is somewhat of a tricky problem to search for, so sorry in advance if this problem has been posted prior.

I've had the X1 box for a few weeks now and while watching tv, the screen will go black for a second once every 20-30 seconds. I figured it was just a small glitch and it'd be resolved in the next update, but still nothing. In my searches, I saw that people have a similar problem, but their audio goes out as well. With my issue, just the video turns black, the audio stays uninterrupted. 

Had a tech come over today and he couldn't figure it out, did all the signal testing and said it was all perfect. He thought it was the HDMI cable.

I poked around a few settings after he left and noticed that the issue only occurs when the video setting is set to 1080p. Is there a fix for this issue? The tech said it's nothing he's seen yet, but I'm hoping it's more common here on the forums. Thanks!

New Poster

Re: Black flashing on TV with 1080p setting

Surely, I'm not the only person experiencing this issue. Any information would be appreciated!

Contributor

I am  set to1080i.....which is what my Sony TV  output is capable of....& which the X1 box can be set for vice 1080p.  1080p is better for quick movement(s) in the HD Picture...but with the way these cable operators have their  signals compressed....doubt ....I could get any benifit.....from it.....

New Poster

Hello.  I am experiencing similar issues as well.  When I change the setting in the in my box (X1) from 780 to 1080p (Awesome picture for 20 -30 seconds) and then picture begins to go black every 20 seconds or so -  the sound is not affected.  I changed the settings back to 780p and TV is working fine. Problem is... "I WANT MY 1080p". 

Contributor

egs740 wrote:

Hello.  I am experiencing similar issues as well.  When I change the setting in the in my box (X1) from 780 to 1080p (Awesome picture for 20 -30 seconds) and then picture begins to go black every 20 seconds or so -  the sound is not affected.  I changed the settings back to 780p and TV is working fine. Problem is... "I WANT MY 1080p". 

Hey, egs740.  Sorry you are having this issue.  I am going to send you a PM to gather account specific information so that I can escalate this issue to our team. 

Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same behavior as described.  When I set the DVR to 1080P I get the flashing/blanking of the picture but not the audio.  If I set the DVR video to 1080i everything is stable.   Please note I get this behavior on the DVR only which is connected to a Sharp 1080P TV.  I have two satellite boxes which are also both set to 1080 and connected to LG and Vizio 1080P TVs, respectively.  They work fine with no flashing.  So it must be either the DVR and/or the Sharp TV that has problems at 1080P.  However the Sharp TV works fine with a computer, ROKU, and DVD player all outputting 1080P.

Contributor

jnlilley wrote:

I have exactly the same behavior as described.  When I set the DVR to 1080P I get the flashing/blanking of the picture but not the audio.  If I set the DVR video to 1080i everything is stable.   Please note I get this behavior on the DVR only which is connected to a Sharp 1080P TV.  I have two satellite boxes which are also both set to 1080 and connected to LG and Vizio 1080P TVs, respectively.  They work fine with no flashing.  So it must be either the DVR and/or the Sharp TV that has problems at 1080P.  However the Sharp TV works fine with a computer, ROKU, and DVD player all outputting 1080P.

Hi, jnlilley.  I am going to send you a message to gather account level information. 

Thanks,

ComcastGrace

Frequent Visitor

jnlilley wrote:

This pretty well describes my experience with different but comparable equipment.  Comcast, please contact me as well.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastGrace wrote:

jnlilley wrote:

Hi, jnlilley.  I am going to send you a message to gather account level information. 

Thanks,

ComcastGrace

This pretty well describes my experience with different but comparable equipment.  Comcast, please contact me as well.

Regular Visitor

Exact same issues. I have to watch all local channels on 720, but HBO/Showtime etc work just fine at 1080p. Please help fix this!
Frequent Visitor

I’m having the same issue. My X1 platform was installed on 11/20/13. I was enjoying my X1 experience until, after a few days, the DVR started blanking out (black screen) channels for one second every couple of minutes while only watching live TV – no issue with watching recorded shows or on replay. I called the X1 support number twice, and we tried different reset techniques. However, the problem was unresolved. After calling a third time, a tech came out to diagnose the issue. Even though the signal strength was fine, the tech replaced the cable from the splitter to the X1 DVR, and even replaced the box, both without success.

Since my Sony Bravia TV supports full 1080p, the X1 DVD output resolution was set to “16:9 1080p HD”. However, when I set the output resolution to “16:9 1080i HD” the problem went away. Based on what I’ve read on other forums, Comcast doesn’t send anything above 1080i. So, in theory, I’m still getting the best resolution. But why should using the 1080p setting cause an issue? I really would like to use the 1080p output resolution to match my TV.

Regular Visitor

I tried 1080i, and the black screens still occurred but less frequent...every 45-60 secs instead of every 20 seconds. For me, it only happens on local channels, ABC/FOX/CBS when watching the news or NFL games. I record everything else...and no issues with recordings or HBO/SHOtime channels.

I tried support 4-5 times, replaced the DVR, and still having the issue. One tech told me the local channels broadcast different than HBO, etc. In either case, extremely frustrating. Been a comcast customer for over 20+ years...but seriously considering switching to a new carrier.
Frequent Visitor

I spoke to a tier 2 xfinity tech today regarding a separate X1 DVR issue and while I had her on the phone I brought up my blanking/black screen issue when my X1 DVR is set to 1080p. According to the tech, they are working on a fix for a known bug for when the box is set to certain resolutions. The issue is caused by the box internally switching resolutions from time to time resulting in the black screen.

Regular Visitor

Until then...my temporary fix is to pause Live TV for 3-5 seconds, and then start watching. This works, but has to be re-done every time the channel changes. But hey, at least I can watch an NFL game without black screen interruptions.

So much for watching Live TV...please fix this soon.
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing this issue as well.  Intermittent screen flashing when using 1080P/60 but no issues when using other video output modes: 1080i ,etc.

I currently use 1080i.

Hope comcast issues a fix soon.

Valued Contributor

I am not so sure that there is anything for Comcast to fix.  I have a nearly five year old Sony 55" set that works fine on the 1080p60 setting.  Also, it may be that 1080p60 doesn't appear as an option if your set can't handle it.  The reason that I say that is that when my X1 is connected to a Sony internet player with Google TV, a 1080p30 option appears that does not appear when the X1 is connected to my TV.  How long is the HDMI cable from your X1 to your TV?

New Poster

I have a 7yr old 52" Sony Bravia LCD (KDL52XBR2). I also saw and chose the 1080p60 option and am not experiencing any issues so far - have had X1 service for 3 days.

Frequent Visitor

VJippoNJ wrote:

I’m having the same issue. My X1 platform was installed on 11/20/13. I was enjoying my X1 experience until, after a few days, the DVR started blanking out (black screen) channels for one second every couple of minutes while only watching live TV – no issue with watching recorded shows or on replay.

Since my Sony Bravia TV supports full 1080p, the X1 DVD output resolution was set to “16:9 1080p HD”. However, when I set the output resolution to “16:9 1080i HD” the problem went away. Based on what I’ve read on other forums, Comcast doesn’t send anything above 1080i. So, in theory, I’m still getting the best resolution. But why should using the 1080p setting cause an issue? I really would like to use the 1080p output resolution to match my TV.

Very similar to my experiences.  I've had the X1 only a few months as well.   When my Bravia is set to 1080i, do not seem to have the issues.  I did reset it to 1080p the other day, and no issues until I turned it on tonight, and then having a lot of blinks.  (So, it DID work a few days just fine at 1080p...)

I turned the unit off, unplugged it and then back on, and still the same issue.  Changed it to 1080i, and the blinking immediately went away.

>I really would like to use the 1080p output resolution to match my TV.

Same here.   Seems like a waste.   My older Bravia on the other box (the "slave"?  not sure what it is actually called) works just fine at 1080p.   Puzzling.

Both the DVD and the other unit seem to have the latest firmware updates, not sure what else to try.

Frequent Visitor

My TV is 4 years old.  I have never had any issues with different cable boxes and never issues with blu-ray players or an xbox one.  1080p/60, 1080p/30, and 1080p/24 all work fine, except with the X1 DVR.  As user stated this is a known X1 bug.

Regular Contributor

I have to keep my tv's on 720 p or I get pixelation. Keep in mind 720p is a better picture than 1080i (Google it). 1080p of course is best if you have no problems, if you do try 720p instead.
Valued Contributor

I doubt that you can see a difference between 720p, 1080i and 1080p inputs to your TV, since the TV converts the 720p and 1080i inpts to 1080p.  I am pretty sure that resolution for virtually all HD channels received by your cable box is 1080i.  Thus, in order to output 1080p, the box has to convert a 1080i signal to 1080p.  Its a matter of which does a better job, your cable box or your TV.

Frequent Visitor

The difference between progressive scan and interlaced scan is obvious. As is the difference between 720p and 1080p.

If you feel there is no difference in resolution and scanning modes then go ahead and set your cable box to 480i and enjoy the upconversion done by your TV.

Comcast needs to fix all the bugs in their product, not just this one. Period.

Valued Contributor

Obviously, you missed the point of my post!  I was talking about HD resolutions.  If the inputs to the cable box are 720p and 1080i, what difference does it make if the conversion to 1080p takes place in the cable box or your TV?  If the Comcast box fails to convert 720p or 1080i to 1080p and this is a universal issue, certainly I would agree that Comcast needs to correct it.  What I don't understand is why myself and likely the vast majority of Comcast customers using the X1 box(s) aren't having this issue?

Frequent Visitor

jehill, you ask:

“What I don't understand is why myself and likely the vast majority of Comcast customers using the X1 box(s) aren't having this issue?”

As user JippoNJ stated this is a known X1 bug.

I don’t experience most of the issues that I read about here in the Comcast help forums.  Some issues could vary from region to region, be due to signal quality,  or just crop up on a random basis.  That does not make these issues that customers are having unimportant or invalid.

I am not an X1 hater or X1 troll, however Comcast needs to have a goal to fix all the bugs in their product, not just this one. Period.

If you are not experiencing the issue, and simply dismissing it, then why are you even posting in this thread?

I also wonder where the Comcast moderators have gone?  I figured they might have some insight into this issue.

Valued Contributor

Longtucky wrote:

If you are not experiencing the issue, and simply dismissing it, then why are you even posting in this thread?

Simply to add additional insight.  You are right, it sure would be nice to get some input from Comcast.  For example, are they actually transmitting 1080p signals?  This is important information!  This is the only way that I can see signal level being the problem if 1080i is fine and 1080p is not.  The reason being that the data rate for 1080p is twice what it is for 1080i, explaining why 1080i might be fine.  If the transmitted signals are 1080i, the box shouldn't have a problem creating a 1080p output.

I just shot off an email to a contact of mine that is/was the local "Director - Field Engneering - NCO" asking, "What is the present transmitted HD signal resolution?  Assuming that he will answer, I definitely should have an answer(s) for me.

Yes, I am a former Comcast employee.  I was a "Customer Account Executive" (CAE).

Official Employee

There is nothing being broadcasted by Comcast (yet)thats 1080p.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

The issue does not occur with on-demand programs, recorded programs, or if I pause live TV for about 5 seconds and then watch TV with the 5-second buffer.  This leads me to think that there is an issue with the DVR's codec that interlaces/de-interlaces and/or scales signals for live TV when using the 1080P output mode.

There are different models of X1 boxes made by Pace and there are, of course, different hardware revisions within each make/model, different manufacturing dates, slightly different components sourced by Pace from other OEM manufacturers, and X1 boxes may be running different firmware and software depending on make/model/hardware revision/locality in different markets around the country.  Combined with a wide variety of customers' A/V equipment this leads to these types of issues.

As user JippoNJstated Comcast support said this is a known X1 bug. Comcast needs to have a goal to fix all the bugs in their product, not just this one.

Frequent Visitor

My understanding is that the X1 DVR is made by different manufacturers. Based on what I’ve read on other X1 threads, units with the green power light (mine) are made by Pace and units with the blue power light are made by Motorola.  For those of us having the same issue, is your power light green or blue? Maybe the issue is related to a specific manufacturer – just a thought.

New Poster

Mine has the same problem. Lowering the resolution to 720p did seem to alleviate the issue. I have the unit with the blue light.

Official Employee

Pace makes both green and blue lights
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

I heard back from X1 support and this is what they said...

The only case where we have seen this is if the T.V. is set to a refresh rate of more than 60hz. The box will only put out 60 Hz. If the customer has a T.V. that is a 240hz refresh rate, it will pick up the black screens in between while the box is refreshing the image. Basically setting the T.V. to 240 Hz, makes it request the same image 4 times. We have seen the same issue with T.V.’s at 120hz, as they have to refresh the image twice in the same time frame. At this time, due mostly to compatibility, there are very few plans to offer faster refresh rates. Since 60hz, is the industry standard for cable boxes, DVD players, VCRs, and gaming systems, this is not likely to change any time soon.

My Sony is 240Hz. So it sounds like the TV refresh rate is not an issue when the X1 resolution is set to 720p or 1080i?

Valued Contributor

jehill wrote:

I just shot off an email to a contact of mine that is/was the local "Director - Field Engneering - NCO" asking, "What is the present transmitted HD signal resolution?

I just got the following reply:

"Currently nothing has changed – We passthrough what the broadcasters send us. All are 1080i – with the exception of the suite of ABC/Disney/ESPN channels which is still 720p. 

We are experimenting with some 1080p trasmissions and trying to figure out how to possibly do UltraHD (4K) in the next couple of years".

New Poster

I'm experiencing the same issue running 1080p on a Pace PX001AN X1 dvr box.  It went away after changing to 1080i.  Does anyone know if this occurs on the new Arris-Motorola boxes?

Gold Problem Solver

Your Sony TV along with many other TV's is "upscaling" the image from 60hz to 240hz. Anything above 60hz is artificial upscaling. Samsung has TV's that claim 960hz. Funny but they still don't keep up with plasma TVs. There is no such thing as a real 240hz signal.

I have not read this entire thread but every day I become more convinced that Comcast is not following HDMI specs. Those of you that are having problems with 1080p need to look very carefully at the age of your TV. If it is more than 4-5 years old 1080p support is very sketchy. I have a 7 year old Panasonic plasma that was not designed to take 1080p however with some sources it actually will.

If 1080p doesn't work than set it for something that does. If HDMI doesn't work then change to component. This issue may fall to Comcast to fix but if the past is any indication I would not hold your breath. You need to work around it not wait for Comcast to fix it.

JippoNJ wrote:

The only case where we have seen this is if the T.V. is set to a refresh rate of more than 60hz. The box will only put out 60 Hz. If the customer has a T.V. that is a 240hz refresh rate, it will pick up the black screens in between while the box is refreshing the image. Basically setting the T.V. to 240 Hz, makes it request the same image 4 times. We have seen the same issue with T.V.’s at 120hz, as they have to refresh the image twice in the same time frame. At this time, due mostly to compatibility, there are very few plans to offer faster refresh rates. Since 60hz, is the industry standard for cable boxes, DVD players, VCRs, and gaming systems, this is not likely to change any time soon.

My Sony is 240Hz. So it sounds like the TV refresh rate is not an issue when the X1 resolution is set to 720p or 1080i?

Valued Contributor

JippoNJ wrote:

The information in boldface may sound plausable, but to the best of my knowledge, it is incorrect.  Picture data is saved in an image of the screen in memory.  TV sets that offer higher refresh rates do so by reading that information multiple times.  The TV does not request information.  It simply saves what it receives. For example, how do you think a 1080p TV displays 1080i?  The odd rows of pixels are saved in one 1/60 second interval and the even rows of pixels are saved in the next 1/60 second interval.  The data continues to be updated in this fashion resulting in a complete image continuously.  The set can display the information as often as it is capable of.

New Poster

My box had to be replaced; replacement is older model. Picture goes black for 3 seconds randomly on both DVR playback and regular tv. Do Prism services have the same problem?
Frequent Visitor

I just want to be positive it is not my new Samsung UN60F8000 processing things wrong. My X1 is set at 1080i output. Last night, we were watching a live HD channel. The screen flashed to black once with no sound. Saw 1080 60i on top of black screen. When we were watching recorded program, and dvr started to record another, tv actually completely shut off.
Silver Problem Solver

Mandangus wrote:
I just want to be positive it is not my new Samsung UN60F8000 processing things wrong. My X1 is set at 1080i output. Last night, we were watching a live HD channel. The screen flashed to black once with no sound. Saw 1080 60i on top of black screen. When we were watching recorded program, and dvr started to record another, tv actually completely shut off.

I have a UN60F7000 connected by HDMI from my Onkyo TX-NR609 A/V receiver.  My X1 DVR is connected to the receiver by HDMI.  I have always been able to set the DVR to 1080p and never had any problems at all.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Weird. I just want to be sure it is not a Samsung issue. I can make my peace with it being X1 but do not to have defective TV. Does anyone know if momentary black screenis an issue with non-X1 HD DVR's?
New Poster

We've been gettin this since install. Only on one TV which is ANNOYING. I've had signals sent, unplugged the box all of it. I'm not set to 1080 and I'm ready to rip this box out. No one seems to know what's going on.

Regular Visitor

Is Comcast going to fix this issue? - I have been having the same issue for about a month now, with two different X1-DVR's on two different TV's... Tired of constantly running out of space, maybe it's time to make the change....

I see Comcast in here asking for information - please allow me to send you mine as if this doesn't get fixed I will be changing services.

Frequent Visitor

I am having this same intermittent signal drop out issue on my X1-to (Motorola) DVR-to-Samsung PN60F8500. New install as I recently returned to Comcast from FIOS. I opened a ticket with Comcast Support yesterday and am expecting a tech next week. Just saw this thread. Comcast Support does not seem to be aware of the issue referenced here and only suggested power cycling the DVR and checking the fitment of the HDMI cables before scheduling a dispatch. .
New Poster

It appears to me that the problem has not been fixed and that Comcast is not acknowledging it in a general sense but it is truly very annoying!

Frequent Visitor

I have a Samsung Plasma connected to an X1, and all modes work fine.  However, for those with the problem, it seems like this symptom is an HDMI "handshake" issue between the box and the TV.  You might try a different/better/shorter HDMI cable.

Regardless, In the end, there is NO 1080p content coming from any source to that box anyway.  You'd only get that from a Blu-Ray.  If it's an HD Cable or OTA channel, it's either 480i/480p, 1080i or 720p..  There's no resolution improvement gained between 1080i and 1080p.  When the box is set to 1080p, it simply deinterlaces and converts that incoming 1080i signal to 60fps, which your TV (if it's a true 1080p set) will also do....its just a matter of the X1 box or your TV doing the conversion.  If it's a 1080p TV, it can ONLY display at 1080p. If the incoming signal is anything but that, the TV changes it to 1080p.  Most 1080p TV's have excellent deinterlacers/up/down conversion nowadays.  So, if the 1080i setting works, you've got the best possible picture your TV will display already.  Ideally, the box should pass what it's getting and let the TV do the work, but the X1 box doesn't have a 'native' setting.

Gold Problem Solver

Good info Philco but it's been discussed many times before in other threads. Nuttin new here...

philco52 wrote:

I have a Samsung Plasma connected to an X1, and all modes work fine.  However, for those with the problem, it seems like this symptom is an HDMI "handshake" issue between the box and the TV.  You might try a different/better/shorter HDMI cable.

Regardless, In the end, there is NO 1080p content coming from any source to that box anyway.  You'd only get that from a Blu-Ray.  If it's an HD Cable or OTA channel, it's either 480i/480p, 1080i or 720p..  There's no resolution improvement gained between 1080i and 1080p.  When the box is set to 1080p, it simply deinterlaces and converts that incoming 1080i signal to 60fps, which your TV (if it's a true 1080p set) will also do....its just a matter of the X1 box or your TV doing the conversion.  If it's a 1080p TV, it can ONLY display at 1080p. If the incoming signal is anything but that, the TV changes it to 1080p.  Most 1080p TV's have excellent deinterlacers/up/down conversion nowadays.  So, if the 1080i setting works, you've got the best possible picture your TV will display already.  Ideally, the box should pass what it's getting and let the TV do the work, but the X1 box doesn't have a 'native' setting.

Frequent Visitor

I called Comcast Support just before the holidays. They did some remote diagnostics (changes?), had me restart the DVR and the problem has not occurred since (over a month). No change to the TV. I'm not sure what they did to resolve it but at this point am just glad the issue is gone.
Frequent Visitor

I agree with RickGr4 as chasing this issue will make crazy. For me, it was worse when fast forwarding, and it was killing my entire X1 experience.  After beating it to death, with calls to all of my equipment manufacturers, trials and errors galore, a simple change to 1080i gave me instant relieve, and the black outs simply went away.  As stated, there is no 1080p content coming in from the cable side of your system, and most any AV device with 1080p capability is going to up sample anyway.

So make it easy on yourself, resist the urge to have the highest setting you can find, and go back to enjoying your life.

Gold Problem Solver

Either use component connections or switch 1080i or both. However the upcoming "2.0 firmware" update should fix this. If any one has any questions please refer to the current 2.0 threads running in the forum.

Frequent Visitor

I still have the issue with my Samsung UN60F8000. It is set at 1080i. It happens only once per watching session, usually in the first. 5-10 min. The screen will go black and mute for 1-2 sec. Then everything is normal. I am hoping 2.0 firmware straightens it out, but I have made my peace with it since it only happens once an evening.
Silver Problem Solver

Mandangus wrote:
I still have the issue with my Samsung UN60F8000. It is set at 1080i. It happens only once per watching session, usually in the first. 5-10 min. The screen will go black and mute for 1-2 sec. Then everything is normal. I am hoping 2.0 firmware straightens it out, but I have made my peace with it since it only happens once an evening.

My UN60F7000 sometimes does that and I am on 2.0.0.  HDMI connections.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.