Community Forum

Best Modem/Router for X1 Service?

Frequent Visitor

Best Modem/Router for X1 Service?

What is the best modem and router combination to use with X1 service?

I'd like to purchase my own equipment so I don't have to rent and I've heard the provided Wireless Gateway can slow things down.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Best Modem/Router for X1 Service?

Other than a making sure your modem is DOCSIS 3 spec the modem doesn't matter. Buy the best router you can afford. I have had great luck with the high end Netgear Nighthawk routers.
Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:
Other than a making sure your modem is DOCSIS 3 spec the modem doesn't matter. Buy the best router you can afford. I have had great luck with the high end Netgear Nighthawk routers.

Thanks.  

I am getting the X1 Triple Play which incluces phone services.  Does the modem or router need any special specs to handle the phone service?

Gold Problem Solver

You will then need a modem with phone service. They are harder to find but available.
Frequent Visitor

If you're getting your own modem, you need one that has phone capabilities.  The Router itself does not need phone capabilities (unless of course you get an all in one modem / router).  Here are some official supported hardware links:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

If you are going to use wifi like most people do these day, I suggest getting a wireless router that supports the wireless "AC" protocal which is faster than "N".

Gold Problem Solver

MOsborn1 wrote:

Thanks.  

I am getting the X1 Triple Play which incluces phone services.  Does the modem or router need any special specs to handle the phone service?

Make sure you pay very close attention to the what is "authorized" for retail purchase.... 

Comcast will not activate something that is not on the approved list:  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

If simplicity is your goal, get a TG862G gateway ( phone/internet ) and also purchase your own high quality router and then BRIDGE the TG862G......

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for all the input.  I am now upgraded to X1.

However, I am currently using their XB3 modem/router gateway for internet access.  I tried putting their gateway in to bridge mode and connecting my Netgear Nighthawk X6 router but I could not get internet connectivity once connected to my Netgear Nighthawk router.

Are there settings on my Netgear router I need to change for this to work?  Are there more settings on the XB3 gateway I need to change other than enabling bridge mode?

Thanks again everyone.

Gold Problem Solver

MOsborn1 wrote:

Thanks for all the input.  I am now upgraded to X1.

However, I am currently using their XB3 modem/router gateway for internet access.  I tried putting their gateway in to bridge mode and connecting my Netgear Nighthawk X6 router but I could not get internet connectivity once connected to my Netgear Nighthawk router.

Are there settings on my Netgear router I need to change for this to work?  Are there more settings on the XB3 gateway I need to change other than enabling bridge mode?

Thanks again everyone.

This might help:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

Frequent Visitor

I know how to enable bridge mode on my Xfinity gateway.  The problem is once bridge mode is enablged on my Xfinity gateway, and I connect my Netgear Nighthawk router to the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode, I do not get an internet signal passed through my router.

Are there any other settings that need to change/be configured for this to work?

Gold Problem Solver

MOsborn1 wrote:

I know how to enable bridge mode on my Xfinity gateway.  The problem is once bridge mode is enablged on my Xfinity gateway, and I connect my Netgear Nighthawk router to the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode, I do not get an internet signal passed through my router.

Are there any other settings that need to change/be configured for this to work?

No... not on the gateway...   you may need to do a factory reset on your Nighthawk, then reconnect and access the setup of the NIghthawk to configure the device there.

Frequent Visitor

I did a factory reset on my Netgear Nighthawk and walked through the setup steps.  It still could not find an internet signal.

Gold Problem Solver

MOsborn1 wrote:

I did a factory reset on my Netgear Nighthawk and walked through the setup steps.  It still could not find an internet signal.

I would suggest you move your discussion over to the Home Networking Forum for specific help with doing this..... this is the X1 forum and not the Basic Networking or Home Networking support forum...    Honestly, you should find a ton of help over there....

Official Employee
Gold Problem Solver

Topic now Closed.