Community Forum

Basic hookup for LG OLED with ARC technology to surround sound system

New Poster

Basic hookup for LG OLED with ARC technology to surround sound system

Just purchased an LG OLED Tv with ARC technology.  I currently have an XG1-9 cable box along with a new Yamaha RX-v481 receiver for surround sound.  Along with these Items I have an older CD player and BluRay type DVD player.  What is the best hook up layout?  Do I go from cable box to TV, then to Receiver or cable box to receiver and then TV?  I assume the DVD and CD would connect directly to the receiver.  Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Basic hookup for LG OLED with ARC technology to surround sound system

XG1-9 is not a valid model.  The XG1 in general is a DVR.  There are several ways you can hook up your equipment, depending on what you want to accomplish.  I have an XG1, an Onkyo a/v receiver, and a blu-ray player.  I chose to connect an antenna to my TV when Comcast is down (hurricane, storm, etc).  I also chose to rout everything through my receiver.  The blu-ray uses one HDMI port, the XG1 uses another HDMI port and my TV (not UHD) is conected to the TV out HDMI port.  I programmed my XG1 remote to control the receiver's volume and the TV's power.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@ wrote:

Just purchased an LG OLED Tv with ARC technology.  I currently have an XG1-9 cable box along with a new Yamaha RX-v481 receiver for surround sound.  Along with these Items I have an older CD player and BluRay type DVD player.  What is the best hook up layout?  Do I go from cable box to TV, then to Receiver or cable box to receiver and then TV?  I assume the DVD and CD would connect directly to the receiver.  Any help would be appreciated.

For a high end UHD television, the best way is to connect your cable-box directly to the television using a high-speed HDMI cable. Then use your television's ports to connect your other devices. Use a HDMI ARC port on tv for you Yamaha S.S. box. Use a HDMI port for the Blu-ray player. Other items can be connected with whatever ports they work best on.

I would check your television's manual. You might have to down-load the full manual if it does not reside in the tv computer memory. My Samsung tv requires this method of set-up. Your LG model might offer more choices for set-up.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks very much for the information.  I hooked it up initially through my Yamaha receiver and it works well, but it makes more sense to me to go directly to the TV.  I'll make the changes.  Thanks again.