Community Forum

Bad Picture Quality with 4K DVR and LG OLED TV

New Poster

Bad Picture Quality with 4K DVR and LG OLED TV

Backstory: purchased an LG OLED 4K UHD HDR TV and had Comcast ship a 4K DVR so we’d be ready to go when the TV arrived.

Got it all setup and was not impressed with the picture quality on regular HD channels. Looked grainy, not quite SD but not a big step up. Switched it over to Netflix and it looked amazing (both through the DVR and native app on the TV). I’ve done a good amount of googling and found it could be due to the upscaling the box is trying to do when set to the 4K output. However, even on 1080p it still doesn’t look great. I called the help line and got a good tech who tried several things but couldn’t resolve the issue. He scheduled a tech to come out who tested everything, replaced a few splitters and cable ends but still agreed the picture didn’t look great. He recommended swapping the box to see if that helped but did not have a 4K box on the truck. I’m calling Comcast today to try that but hoping there may be something else to try.

I ran a 40’ cable to hide the box in a built in but got worried it could be a cable issue so bought a Monoprice Premium certified HDMI cable with the same results so I think that’s ruled out as well :/

For an example, these are some stills from a basketball game last night. You can see the quality issues pretty clearly. Sports are the worst - regular programming is OK but still with issues. https://imgur.com/gallery/cFZt9At
Regular Visitor

Re: Bad Picture Quality with 4K DVR and LG OLED TV

I am having the same issues with my LG OLED C8 and the XG1v4 I just upgraded to. I’m returning the cable box and getting the X1 back which worked 10x better as it relates to,picture quality. 

New Poster

Missed this before but I'm going to request a non-4K box to be sent to see if it helps things out. I can stream all the Netflix and other 4K content directly on my TV and given there's zero other content offered by Xfinity right now I think this is the best option.

Silver Problem Solver

@Mr_Chris wrote:

Missed this before but I'm going to request a non-4K box to be sent to see if it helps things out. I can stream all the Netflix and other 4K content directly on my TV and given there's zero other content offered by Xfinity right now I think this is the best option.

I use one of my 4k boxes with a 42" Vizio just for the bluetooth so my wife can watch while I sleep.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Mr_Chris wrote:

I use one of my 4k boxes with a 42" Vizio just for the bluetooth so my wife can watch while I sleep.

glad to hear it works. I paired to my vizios for same reason (they have bluetooth too and the remote is bluetooth).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Mr_Chris -- I can look further at this for you if you would like, or were you able to get this resolved?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!