Community Forum

Auto Power Off

Highlighted
Contributor

Auto Power Off

Has Xfinity made a change to the Auto Power Off feature? There is a way to turn it on and off but I no longer see the time period to wait setting. Also It no longer seems to power off and there is no notice when I turn the TV on of the time that power was saved. The power light is on when I look at it in the morning. I have verified and it is turned on.

Is there really any advantage when using the feature? I see no delay other than the TV powering up when power saver is used.

Expert

Re: Auto Power Off

@denmarks43 wrote:

Has Xfinity made a change to the Auto Power Off feature? There is a way to turn it on and off but I no longer see the time period to wait setting. Also It no longer seems to power off and there is no notice when I turn the TV on of the time that power was saved. The power light is on when I look at it in the morning. I have verified and it is turned on.

Is there really any advantage when using the feature? I see no delay other than the TV powering up when power saver is used.

due to the small difference between standby and 'on' the savings are around $1.00 if you leave a DVR in standby (never on) for 365/24/7.  it is much easier to use the menu to turn off the power LED  or clock if there is a clock (in my opinion).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I noticed that the blue lights never go off and was wondering who was watching TV in my bedroom, haha. I went into the menu and noticed the change, so in essence the box is back to not shutting down, guess there were too many issues when the woke up.
New Poster

I've noticed the same thing. Seems the power saver setting is useless! I can come back a 2 days later, power up the tv without useing the remote and the box is still on broadcasting the same channel I had on 2 days before.

The power menu has changed, use to be able to set it to time out "standby or sleep"after a preset time.

So now the question is will I get a discount on my bill to cover my addional power bill.

Silver Problem Solver

@njnobody wrote:

I've noticed the same thing. Seems the power saver setting is useless! I can come back a 2 days later, power up the tv without useing the remote and the box is still on broadcasting the same channel I had on 2 days before.

The power menu has changed, use to be able to set it to time out "standby or sleep"after a preset time.

So now the question is will I get a discount on my bill to cover my addional power bill.

FYI:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-top-box-energy-usage

If I wanted to, I could just press the power button on my X1 boxes every night.  But I don't see the need.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

If I wanted to, I could just press the power button on my X1 boxes every night.  But I don't see the need.

Therre are no buttons anywhere on my X1 box.

Silver Problem Solver

@denmarks43 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Oops.  My X1 DVR's and my XG2 companions have them.  Which do you have?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@denmarks43 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Oops.  My X1 DVR's and my XG2 companions have them.  Which do you have?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

It looks like the ARRIS XG1v4

Silver Problem Solver

You are correct; my 4k boxes don't have a power button.  I never turn off any of my four X1 boxes.

Contributor

I have also noticed this change, but seem to be having a possibly related issue.  I too no longer get that message when I come home and did like seeing that I was saving something.  Lately, however, I have come home to a totally unresponsive box.  I am forced to pull the plug and plug it back in to reboot the box.  I try pressing the power button, but see no other option other than pulling the plug.  I have also noticed that box come up on my screen asking if I am still watching, and if I don’t reply, the box will shut down, so there IS some sort of power saver running, I am thinking that when I am not available to hit ok that this is what is killing my box.  Is there some super secret way I am supposed to use to wake it up properly, or perhaps there is some sort of glitch with this process?  I have disabled my power saver in the settings.  This may solve my problem of coming home to a dead cable box, but I am disappointed that I will not be able to enjoy any power saver features.

Silver Problem Solver

@B_J_L wrote:

I have also noticed this change, but seem to be having a possibly related issue.  I too no longer get that message when I come home and did like seeing that I was saving something.  Lately, however, I have come home to a totally unresponsive box.  I am forced to pull the plug and plug it back in to reboot the box.  I try pressing the power button, but see no other option other than pulling the plug.  I have also noticed that box come up on my screen asking if I am still watching, and if I don’t reply, the box will shut down, so there IS some sort of power saver running, I am thinking that when I am not available to hit ok that this is what is killing my box.  Is there some super secret way I am supposed to use to wake it up properly, or perhaps there is some sort of glitch with this process?  I have disabled my power saver in the settings.  This may solve my problem of coming home to a dead cable box, but I am disappointed that I will not be able to enjoy any power saver features.

I have an XG2 that is seldom uused and it comes on with no issue after I turn it and my TV off after a week or more.