Community Forum

Audio sync problems

Regular Visitor

Audio sync problems

Hello,

 

I recently switched from DirecTV to Xfinity and have been having audio lip sync issues since the switch. 

 

I have a Vizio 55” HD TV (non 4K), that’s about 3 years old, connected directly to the Xfinity box via HDMI cable.  I have no surround sound or any other audio equipment attached to the TV.

 

The problem I’m having is the audio will start to go out of sync with the peoples lips when watching any show on any channel after a few hours.  If I go into the Device -Audio settings in the Xfinity box, and switch the audio output from Auto Detect to Stereo or vice versa, then everything is fine for a few hours.  Then is starts all over again.  It doesn’t matter if I leave the Audio set to Stereo or Auto Detect.

 

I had Comcast replace the first box they gave me but the problem still exits.

 

I never had the problem with  the DirecTV box I used to have nor the DVD player or Amazon Fire TV currently hooked up to the TV.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thanks,

 

Joe

Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:

Hello,

 

I recently switched from DirecTV to Xfinity and have been having audio lip sync issues since the switch. 

 

I have a Vizio 55” HD TV (non 4K), that’s about 3 years old, connected directly to the Xfinity box via HDMI cable.  I have no surround sound or any other audio equipment attached to the TV.

 

The problem I’m having is the audio will start to go out of sync with the peoples lips when watching any show on any channel after a few hours.  If I go into the Device -Audio settings in the Xfinity box, and switch the audio output from Auto Detect to Stereo or vice versa, then everything is fine for a few hours.  Then is starts all over again.  It doesn’t matter if I leave the Audio set to Stereo or Auto Detect.

 

I had Comcast replace the first box they gave me but the problem still exits.

 

I never had the problem with  the DirecTV box I used to have nor the DVD player or Amazon Fire TV currently hooked up to the TV.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thanks,

 

Joe


no worries. grab your TV remote and press the menu button. be sure the input is on your DVR. go to the audio menu and find the lip sync settings. once there be sure you are on a talking head (so lips are always running) and adjust the +/- until in sync. if you change equipment on an input that procedure is done and is remembered by the TV for that device.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.  

 

My Vizio TV has 6 lip sync settings.  I tried all 6 and none of them brought the audio into sync.  In fact, it made it worse with each increment. It almost seems like if I could adjust the lip sync by  a ½ increment, it would be fine.

 

I even tried resetting my TV to factory default and the problem still came back after several hours.

 

Any other ideas would be appreciated. 

 

Thanks again!

 

Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.  

 

My Vizio TV has 6 lip sync settings.  I tried all 6 and none of them brought the audio into sync.  In fact, it made it worse with each increment. It almost seems like if I could adjust the lip sync by  a ½ increment, it would be fine.

 

I even tried resetting my TV to factory default and the problem still came back after several hours.

 

Any other ideas would be appreciated. 

 

Thanks again!


by settings do you mean adjustment levels? if it is changing after being set it is likely you have a bad set top box. there are two sync signals that keep it locked in within 10ths of a second and a second backup about 0.7 seconds later. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

Yes, my TV has 6 incremental lip sync settings, 0 through 5.

 

I tried all of them and none solved the problem.  Setting 0 is the best as the lip sync is probably a 10th of a second off.  As I increase the setting, the lip sync gets worse with 5 being the worst.

 

This is the second box Comcast gave me in trying to solve the problem.

 

Do you think I should ask for a third box?

 

Thanks again.

Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:

Yes, my TV has 6 incremental lip sync settings, 0 through 5.

 

I tried all of them and none solved the problem.  Setting 0 is the best as the lip sync is probably a 10th of a second off.  As I increase the setting, the lip sync gets worse with 5 being the worst.

 

This is the second box Comcast gave me in trying to solve the problem.

 

Do you think I should ask for a third box?

 

Thanks again.


you should have +/- so lips are early and late. setting should be done on a live news channel (cnn fox news etc) and don't look at number just go up and down until it looks right. then change to another channel and recheck. the TV is responsible to make this setting. did you try a different HDMI port?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

Yes, I tried changing the HDMI ports and even bought a new HDMI cable.

 

I put on a news channel and just tried all of the lip sync settings my TV offers.  None solved the problem.

 

As I said, this is the second box Comcast has given me and the problem remains.  I’m thinking there’s something wrong with the TV - however, I have no audio problems with the attached DVD player or Amazon Fire TV box which I use for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

 

I’m at a loss now as to what to try next.

Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:

Yes, I tried changing the HDMI ports and even bought a new HDMI cable.

 

I put on a news channel and just tried all of the lip sync settings my TV offers.  None solved the problem.

 

As I said, this is the second box Comcast has given me and the problem remains.  I’m thinking there’s something wrong with the TV - however, I have no audio problems with the attached DVD player or Amazon Fire TV box which I use for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

 

I’m at a loss now as to what to try next.


i'd try another set top box then



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Audio sync problems

Did you ever find a fix to this? I am Currently waiting on the 3rd tech to come out. We just switch to Comcast from Direct TV also and every since we have started Comcast we have had this problem! I am ready to cancel if there isn’t a fix to this issue and go back to direct tv!
Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@JessicaGrooms wrote:
Did you ever find a fix to this? I am Currently waiting on the 3rd tech to come out. We just switch to Comcast from Direct TV also and every since we have started Comcast we have had this problem! I am ready to cancel if there isn’t a fix to this issue and go back to direct tv!

audio sync is a setting on the 'sink' (in this case your TV) and is maintained on a per device connected basis by the TV. Using your TV's remote go to the audio menu and lip-sync settings. tune to a talking head type show or other talking dialog and adjust lipsync +/- until it matches. exit the TV menu and you are done.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

I called in to tech support and they did some master reset that worked pretty good. There are still some channels that the sound will be very slightly out of sync every now and then but overall, it’s better now.
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

I tried that and it did not work. My Vizio tv has 6 lip sync settings and none of them solved the problem.
Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:
I tried that and it did not work. My Vizio tv has 6 lip sync settings and none of them solved the problem.

is the set top box connected via HDMI to the TV directly? do you have a receiver or sound bar? if sound bar, how is it connected to the sound/audio path?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

My Xfinity box is connected directly to my TV via an HMDI cable.  I bought a new cable and tried different HDMI ports on the TV as well but the problem still comes and goes.

Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:

My Xfinity box is connected directly to my TV via an HMDI cable.  I bought a new cable and tried different HDMI ports on the TV as well but the problem still comes and goes.


change channel to one of the cable news channels or soap opera if daytime. use the TV remote and its audio menu and find lip-sync. adjust +/- until it matches.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

Thanks for the advice but I've tried that and it did not work.  The out of sync problem just gets worse when I tried that.

 

Joe

Expert

Re: Audio sync problems


@joerf3 wrote:

Thanks for the advice but I've tried that and it did not work.  The out of sync problem just gets worse when I tried that.

Joe


the video time offset will allow you to move the sync before the audio and after the audio (the direction is offset from 'center' or zero position). it will work once you find out how to set as you desire. the sink (TV in this case) is always responsible to allow adjustment.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio sync problems

Thanks for the reply.

 

I have a Vizio TV that has 6 audio sync settings, 0 - 5.

 

When I'm having audio out of sync issues, I tried all 6 settings and none of them solved the problem.  It seems at thought a setting between 0 and 1 (0.5) would solve the problem as the higher I go, the worse it gets.  Unfortunately, my TV won't let me make that fine of an adjustement.

 

How I fix it now is, I go into the audio settings in my Xfinity box and swtich my HDMI Audio Output from Stereo to Auto Detect and then back to Stereo.  This will solve the problem for several hours.