Community Forum

Audio pops with video flashing

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Audio pops with video flashing

I have had X1 service for a couple of weeks and am having an issue with audio popping along with the video flashing at the same time. This mostly occurs when the box and TV are first turned on, but will also occasionally occur after both have been on.

The TV is an LG 22" HDTV and the box is an XiD non-DVR. The resolution at the box is set to 1080p.

The only times this doesn't occur, are:

1. I use the HDMI cable (without ferrite cores) that came with my 21" Samsung computer monitor, or...

2. I use any other HDMI cable (with or without ferrite cores) - but with the resolution from the box set to 1080i.

Even though the LG supports 1080p, 1080i and 720p, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the 1080p signal from Comcast, or perhaps the box is defective? I can't see these other HDMI cables all being defective.

Thank you for any replies.
Expert

Re: Audio pops with video flashing

@edwardp wrote:
I have had X1 service for a couple of weeks and am having an issue with audio popping along with the video flashing at the same time. This mostly occurs when the box and TV are first turned on, but will also occasionally occur after both have been on.

The TV is an LG 22" HDTV and the box is an XiD non-DVR. The resolution at the box is set to 1080p.

The only times this doesn't occur, are:

1. I use the HDMI cable (without ferrite cores) that came with my 21" Samsung computer monitor, or...

2. I use any other HDMI cable (with or without ferrite cores) - but with the resolution from the box set to 1080i.

Even though the LG supports 1080p, 1080i and 720p, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the 1080p signal from Comcast, or perhaps the box is defective? I can't see these other HDMI cables all being defective.

Thank you for any replies.

it if is a flat screen panel TV please do not use 1080i as you lose around 1/2 of the image detail (the panel can not display 1080i). what happens if you set at 720p output? do you have a plug 'safety' check device to see if the 110volt AC jack is correctly wired that both devices are using?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

It is a flat screen HDTV (bought in 2013), but I wouldn't call it a "panel" TV. The resolutions listed/supported, came straight from the owners manual. I have not tried it in 720p, but have read articles stating that the user will not be able to notice any difference a between 1080i and 1080p on a set 42" and smaller. It otherwise displays 1080i perfectly, the ratio is set to Just Scan, as the 16:9 setting will chop off the rolling scroller at the bottom of the screen on some channels, but not all.

I have a surge suppressor that I can plug into the outlet, which will tell me if the unit is protected and the outlet itself is properly grounded, but I do not otherwise have what you're describing, although I have never had an issue with the outlet.
Expert

@edwardp wrote:
It is a flat screen HDTV (bought in 2013), but I wouldn't call it a "panel" TV. The resolutions listed/supported, came straight from the owners manual. I have not tried it in 720p, but have read articles stating that the user will not be able to notice any difference a between 1080i and 1080p on a set 42" and smaller. It otherwise displays 1080i perfectly, the ratio is set to Just Scan, as the 16:9 setting will chop off the rolling scroller at the bottom of the screen on some channels, but not all.

I have a surge suppressor that I can plug into the outlet, which will tell me if the unit is protected and the outlet itself is properly grounded, but I do not otherwise have what you're describing, although I have never had an issue with the outlet.

i'm a retired electronics tech. popping/flashing etc can be caused by faulty wiring ground 'loops'. this is where grounded devices are not properly grounded. the device include the cable 'egress' (where it comes to your home) not having a properly working POE (point of Entry) filter that is grounded to your home 's electrical ground to any cord/powerstrip that is between the set top box/TV/receivers-sound bars and the wall.  one example is shown HERE there are many versions. might be best to let Comcast tech come out and determine the popping issue. a good idea is to video several of the events so the tech can view it while in your home. the tech may have seen the very symptom many times and know the issue immediately.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Thanks again for the reply. My father was also a retired electronics tech (from GE) and he tinkered around with a lot of stuff over the years! I will get one of those testers.

I plugged in both of the surge suppressors to the outlet and the "protected" and "grounded" lights on both, came on when plugged in - although one of them, in my opinion, has a poor design.

Neither the TV power cord, nor the power supply that came with the XiD box, have grounded plugs.

The TV works fine with a 720p signal coming from the box, no pops or flashes.

The power supply that came with the XiD, due to its design, plugs into a bottom outlet. The cord coming out of the TV plug, does not come out of the back of the plug, but the bottom, so there was some tension with that due to the the power supply pushing up against it when it was plugged in underneath, but there is some cushioning/protection running about 1" down the bottom of the TV plug where the cord goes into it.

Using the surge supressor (of the much better design), the tension on the TV plug is now removed and the XiD power supply is plugged into the other side of it.

With this setup, I am still getting the audio pop and video flash at the 1080p setting on the box. Since the pops/flashes didn't occur when the signal from the box was originally going through the coaxial cable for the first couple of weeks, nor does it occur at 720p/1080i through HDMI, it still seems like the box itself is the issue.
Regular Contributor

I brought the XiD box back to Comcast and explained what was going on. The employee believed that the XiD was having issues communicating with the DVR box. An XG2 box was provided to replace it.
Expert

@edwardp wrote:
Thanks again for the reply. My father was also a retired electronics tech (from GE) and he tinkered around with a lot of stuff over the years! I will get one of those testers.

I plugged in both of the surge suppressors to the outlet and the "protected" and "grounded" lights on both, came on when plugged in - although one of them, in my opinion, has a poor design.

Neither the TV power cord, nor the power supply that came with the XiD box, have grounded plugs.

The TV works fine with a 720p signal coming from the box, no pops or flashes.

The power supply that came with the XiD, due to its design, plugs into a bottom outlet. The cord coming out of the TV plug, does not come out of the back of the plug, but the bottom, so there was some tension with that due to the the power supply pushing up against it when it was plugged in underneath, but there is some cushioning/protection running about 1" down the bottom of the TV plug where the cord goes into it.

Using the surge supressor (of the much better design), the tension on the TV plug is now removed and the XiD power supply is plugged into the other side of it.

With this setup, I am still getting the audio pop and video flash at the 1080p setting on the box. Since the pops/flashes didn't occur when the signal from the box was originally going through the coaxial cable for the first couple of weeks, nor does it occur at 720p/1080i through HDMI, it still seems like the box itself is the issue.

the two prong unaltered plug has a wider and a narrow blade ensuring the wide side is grounded using the neutral side of the AC power line.

Regular Contributor

Everything is grounded, the "T" connection outside and the splitter inside.  But they replaced the box with another model and it's been fine.