Community Forum

Audio and video out of sync

New Poster

Audio and video out of sync

When I watch TV, people's voices don't match the timing of their mouth moving.  The audio and video are out of sync.  How can I fix this problem?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Audio and video out of sync

Watching live TV or recordings??? Main DVR or Companion boxes? LED or Plasma TV? How are they connected? HDMI or component? Do you have outboard audio solutions or just the speakers within the TV?

We need details in order to help you...

Ineedassistance wrote:

When I watch TV, people's voices don't match the timing of their mouth moving.  The audio and video are out of sync.  How can I fix this problem?

New Poster

Live TV on the main TV, LED TV, speakers within the TV.  Thanks very much.

New Poster

Just installed yesterday, same exact issue....reviews show we are not alone... Add to that there is a 5 second delay from my remote to the cable box...needless to say already regretting and exploring other options.

Gold Problem Solver

Sometimes it's more noticable on LCD/LED because they are "slower" than plasma TV's.

Unless you have a newer audio video receiver with lip sync adjustment there may be little you can do about it...

Ineedassistance wrote:

Live TV on the main TV, LED TV, speakers within the TV.  Thanks very much.

New Poster

same issue for me, in Miami/Broward area, worse example on channel 433 (WFOR-CBS) issue exists on all three of my TVs, DVR and companion, but worse on some. never had this issue with old Comcast gear (which was my backup) and never with DirecTV. on my DVR connected set (a 2012 Sony LED), audio is routed via HDMI to the TV then Toslink to the A/V receiver. sync issues vary, but worse on broadcast channels. annoying. this TV still has DirecTV (not sure if I will cancel it yet), and built in OTA. only Comcast has the audio sync issue. office TV had similar setup, problem mostly resolved when I directed Toslink to the A/V receiver (opposite result of someone on another similar thread). it's not my preferred setup and again, zero issues with DirecTV. bedroom has no A/V receiver, HDMI to TV with TV speakers, problem exists and is annoying. Comcast has been out once to replace one my companion boxes, but overall my satisfaction is very low. besides the audio sync, there is the slowness of the companion boxes, a difficult to search interface. the entire solution is poorly thought out with regards to interface, performance, reliability, etc., but the audio sync is the killer. i have had two sources of TV and Internet (uVerse also serves me here), and my goal was to eliminate DirecTV as it's a unneeded cost, but now I am reconsidering.
Problem Solver

try to delete the program then go to deleted folder and recover it..sounds crazy right? trust me 99% it works for me. have to do it almost everyday on some show. let us know if this works.

Frequent Visitor

Everything I taped was badly out of sync last night.  Sometimes unplugging the box will fix it going forward, but it always comes back and is sometimes 3 or 4 seconds out of sync.  Also, sometimes coming out of fast forward the audio goes away completely.  I have to stop the recording and start again to get it back.

Contributor

Rick...similar issue with a new vizio led tv, x1box, single tv on line, connected via optical video.
This is slightly noticeable in live broadcasts and far more so with recorded programming.
TV has a lip sync adjustment, with a 1-5 scale. (Unfortunately it seems like that stands for 1-5 second delay).
The x1 box is a week old and replaced another non x1 box that was giving me similar out of sync issues.
As is often the case, comcast blames vizio while vizio blames comcast.
Gold Problem Solver

The 1-5 scale on your TV could mean 100-500 milliseconds. It may not mean anything. The problem I have noticed is this: normally when audio is out of sync, audio is behind the video. With X1 when I notice audio sync issues, the audio is ahead of the video. The adjustment built into your TV is probably not designed to help when the audio is ahead.

I have only one suggestion for people experiencing this problem: If you have a Pace made X1 DVR (XG1-P with either a green or blue power light) exchange it for an Arris made X1 DVR (XG1-A with blue power light). If you already have an Arris, exchange it for a Pace. It appears they come with different HDMI settings in the firmware. One may work better than the other for you.

dmk62563 wrote:
Rick...similar issue with a new vizio led tv, x1box, single tv on line, connected via optical video.
This is slightly noticeable in live broadcasts and far more so with recorded programming.
TV has a lip sync adjustment, with a 1-5 scale. (Unfortunately it seems like that stands for 1-5 second delay).
The x1 box is a week old and replaced another non x1 box that was giving me similar out of sync issues.
As is often the case,comcast blamesvizio whilevizio blamescomcast.

Contributor

Thanks, but keep in mind I'm dealing with Comcast. They seem to only stock one line of equipment no matter the problems experienced. A couple months back I was advised by phone support to swap my modem for another version. I took my old one in to the service(?) center and was told they only stocked the one model the Comcast phone techie said I should replace.
My neighbor has volunteered bringing in his Sony tv to see if it works better or if the problem is in the x1 box/system.
Moving it is no small feat, so I wonder what you'd think of doing that? It'd help isolate the issue, he thinks.

Gold Problem Solver

Your modem has nothing to do with this. Or lets just say it's HIGHLY unlikely it does. If you can get a trouble ticket escalated to tier 2 you can usually request a particular box at that point.

Your idea about trying your friends Sony is a good idea. Let us know what happens...

dmk62563 wrote:
Thanks, but keep in mind I'm dealing with Comcast. They seem to only stock one line of equipment no matter the problems experienced. A couple months back I was advised by phone support to swap my modem for another version. I took my old one in to the service(?) center and was told they only stocked the one model the Comcast phone techie said I should replace.
My neighbor has volunteered bringing in his Sony tv to see if it works better or if the problem is in the x1 box/system.
Moving it is no small feat, so I wonder what you'd think of doing that? It'd help isolate the issue, he thinks.

Contributor

Understand the modem is not involved.
It was anecdotal about Comcast's right hand not knowing what's in the left hand's storeroom.

Hooked up the Sony and while perhaps a bit better, there still is a sync problem.
Comcast technician coming this pm to troubleshoot.
Will report anything reportable.
Thanks!
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem where the audio and video are not in sync.  It is happening on both the X1 DVR and X1 Satellite box.  I haven't watched any recorded programs to determine if the problem exists there too, only live TV.  The X1 devices replaced existing DVR and HD devices.  We did not experience the sync problem prior to the X1 upgrade. 

Comcast states there is a known firmware problem that will be resolved with the next update.  I have not yet been able to determine when the next update will be pushed out to the network.  Comcast recommends using component cables until the software update is available.  I using component cables - no HDMI, no optical, and the sync problem is there. 

Contributor

My "State of the Art" X-1 doesn't have component outputs.

Contributor

The tech just left here. I have a new X-1box and so far, so good.

BTW --- my TV is a month old Vizio E600i B3.
Vizio was wiling to send a repairman or a replacement TV to the house, my choice.
Now that's customer service.
Problem Solver

It is because you have the wrong x1 box...lol
Contributor

Thanks for the post, gotpizza.
I see you are a Regular Problem Solver .
With insights like you have provided here, I'll bet Comcast will be recruiting you to provide phone support.
Problem Solver

dmk62563 wrote:
Thanks for the post, gotpizza.
I see you are a Regular Problem Solver .
With insights like you have provided here, I'll bet Comcast will be recruiting you to provide phone support.

It no secret that I have no use for the arris box. To me it is just too slow moving in and around menus. there are many who say they can't see the difference, but there is. Both of the boxes have there issues, but if my sound goes out than I always have pro-logic. I have no idea what the ranks mean at all yesterday I was recognized problem solver, so I hope that is up!

Contributor

Isn't it sad what subscribers must go through with this outfit?
They deny, deny, deny hoping we will tire of the game they play and quit bugging them.

I have spent two months arguing with Comcast about a voice sync problem I am experiencing with a new X1 box and a new 60" VIZIO tv.
Reset the box; use a different hdmi cable, try still another hdmi cable, use component video connection (no component connection on my X1), ad nauseum.
Meanwhile, Vizio offered to replace the tv in my home at no cost after I had two differnt Comcast tech house calls that did nothing -- even though VIZIO wás sure it wasn't their problem.
Comcast said they might make an adjustment after the problem was resolved!
Then out of the blue I get a phone call from Comcast telling me there might be a software fix coming to the X1 lby November 17.
Fixing what?...I asked, as Comcast denied a voice sync problem existed and certainly didn't share it with their own service guys.
"Oh it's been a known issue nation-wide since last year, but a fix may be on the way!!!"

$2,000 a year for this aggravation? How I wish I could do without their superior internet speeds.
New Poster

We are currently having this issue but it comes and goes.  It is also on a new Vizio.  Just tonight, it was out of sync, went to commercial, one commercial out of sync, then everything was fine again.  Seems to run in waves.  Still need to watch other TV's in house to see but I don't seem to remember it happening on other Vizios.  We only have the Comcast main box, no DVR, and the smaller additional boxes on our other two TV's. 

Just curious of others are still having this issue.  We haven't tried to contact Comcast yet as calling and talking to someone is always such a hassle.

Thanks for any input!

Problem Solver

If you are using the sound on the tv or a sound bar than there are other methods of hooking it up. You could use component video cables for the video. For the audio for the sound run stereo cables to the TV . This method seems to work better on the non DVR units. If you have a AVR than other metbods would be used.
Problem Solver

There is a new firmware coming to help with that issue, but no-one that I know of has tested it on the companion stb.
Contributor

Running HDMI from Pace HDDVR to Onkyo receiver so I can listen in 5.1.

There is a video lag ONLY present on Comcasts Sports Channel!!! (channel 847,Philly area)

Thats right, only on Comcasts own channel!!

...just happens to be the most watched channel in my home for local sports as they broacast every Philadelphia Flyers/Phillies/ Sixers games on tv.

Every other channel on the menu the audio/video is synced perfectly.

Networks/HBO/Cinemax/Starz channels all fine.

Other posters in thread...

is it a video lag?

ComcastBrandon sent a refresh signal to my box which fixed it for a few hours but then it went out of sync again (oos).

New Poster

X1. Same problem. Installer told me I did not need a coaxial cable only the HDMI cable. Had this sync issue that would correct when box was rebooted only to return to being out of sync the next day. I now run HDMI AND coax cable from the box to the back of the TV and problem is now solved.
Gold Problem Solver

UF930,

Unless you are no longer watching HD picture quality, connecting a coax cable between your X1 box and your TV has nothing to do with this... Your "solution" occurred elsewhere and I doubt it is permanent.

UF930 wrote:
X1. Same problem. Installer told me I did not need a coaxial cable only the HDMI cable. Had this sync issue that would correct when box was rebooted only to return to being out of sync the next day. I now run HDMI AND coax cable from the box to the back of the TV and problem is now solved.

Frequent Visitor

It's not a Vizio problem.  I have a Samsung and I've had the same problems since I've had the X1 box.

Regular Contributor

Would a high speed hdmi cable, the type usually used for 3d / 240Hz tv's help? I  don't recall the hdmi version number, unfortunately. I don't have any audio/video sync issues and that's the type of hdmi cables I'm using for x1 box and 3d bluray player. They were expensive cables tho so I wouldn't just run out and get them unless someone more knowledgeable in that area confirms that they would help with sync issues.

I did have extremely minor sync issue with one channel and when talking to my neighbors, they say they had the same issue with same channel so we are writing it off to something external and out of our control. It's been fixed tho for awhile now.

New Poster

I've had this problem for three weeks since X1 was installed.  I didn't have the problem on my previous (non-X1) boxes.  Do not let Comcast tell you it is an issue with your HDMI chords, and here's why.

I've had two technicians come out to take a look at it.  The first one said it was an issue with my HDMI chord - but I am having the problem with different HDMI chords that we tried, so that wasn't it.  Then he said it was an issue with "noise" in the neighborhood, so he put some kind of filter on our lines outside.  That made it better (did not completely fix it) for about two hours and then it got bad again after he left. 

So I had another technician come out, and he swapped out my X1 box made by Pace for one made by Arris.  This made the problem ever so slightly better, and then sure enough, within an hour of him leaving it got badly out of sync again.  He had tried telling me it was an HDMI issue, but I did not have this problem with the previous Comcast boxes with the same cables, so that's obviously not the case (I've also tried using different brands, shorter lengths, and lower AWG, and it still does this).

The problem is still there when I use Comcast's HDMI chord to a different TV.

Clearly this is an issue, Comcast.  Please fix this because it is not fair to customers to charge them a full amount and not give full service.  Not to mention, I have issues where the DVR won't pick back up in the same spot of a recording that it left off at.  Also, the lag between changing channels is ridiculously slow!  And channels freeze and get pixelated.  I'm tempted to go back to the old Comcast boxes because we never had a problem with those.

Silver Problem Solver

Comcast has a fix in development.  It is being field-tested now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

pllogan wrote:

I've had this problem for three weeks since X1 was installed.  I didn't have the problem on my previous (non-X1) boxes.  Do not let Comcast tell you it is an issue with your HDMI chords, and here's why.

I've had two technicians come out to take a look at it.  The first one said it was an issue with my HDMI chord - but I am having the problem with different HDMI chords that we tried, so that wasn't it.  Then he said it was an issue with "noise" in the neighborhood, so he put some kind of filter on our lines outside.  That made it better (did not completely fix it) for about two hours and then it got bad again after he left. 

So I had another technician come out, and he swapped out my X1 box made by Pace for one made by Arris.  This made the problem ever so slightly better, and then sure enough, within an hour of him leaving it got badly out of sync again.  He had tried telling me it was an HDMI issue, but I did not have this problem with the previous Comcast boxes with the same cables, so that's obviously not the case (I've also tried using different brands, shorter lengths, and lower AWG, and it still does this).

The problem is still there when I use Comcast's HDMI chord to a different TV.

Clearly this is an issue, Comcast.  Please fix this because it is not fair to customers to charge them a full amount and not give full service.  Not to mention, I have issues where the DVR won't pick back up in the same spot of a recording that it left off at.  Also, the lag between changing channels is ridiculously slow!  And channels freeze and get pixelated.  I'm tempted to go back to the old Comcast boxes because we never had a problem with those.

another customer here, hi. some questions if you would. Do you have just one DVR and if so does the problem happen on  that DVR or only on a companion box? also, about how far off is the sync (video matching lips for example). Does this only happen on live TV or only on playback of recorded video, or both equally?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

So here we sit, paying our cable bills religously as they come in and still months later no fix is in sight for Comast customers for syncing issues.

Great job Comcast!

So glad you created this site to help everyone get their moneys worth for your state of the art, like being on a roller coaster X1 Platform...

Well done indeed!!!

fedup with the bs being spewed out in here by Comcast and all the "problem solvers" in here

Contributor

lol, development huh?

they've been field testing this for months now...

How about developing a new box and throughly testing it before making your customers pay full tilt to be beta testers for your 'state of the art" product.

Expert

16craig wrote:

So here we sit, paying our cable bills religously as they come in and still months later no fix is in sight for Comast customers for syncing issues.

Great job Comcast!

So glad you created this site to help everyone get their moneys worth for your state of the art, like being on a roller coaster X1 Platform...

Well done indeed!!!

fedup with the bs being spewed out in here by Comcast and all the "problem solvers" in here

The video/audo sync issues i've seen are minimal at worst. The several second 'events' are easily fixed with a double tap on the pause/play button.. The live video is fine here, the max playback error is at about 1/2 second max. These are only happening on playback on a 'different' device in the home due to some obscure not yet fixed error in the streaming of the m-peg2 media streams. You can bet that Comcast is working to fix these issues. (just another customer here)

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Do you accept minimal audio syncing problems when your trying to watch a movies on your home theater/

Do you pay Comcast in full each month for below grade service?

you do know this problem has been going on for close to six months now without Comcast saying when it will get fixed correct?

Expert

16craig wrote:

Do you accept minimal audio syncing problems when your trying to watch a movies on your home theater/

Do you pay Comcast in full each month for below grade service?

you do know this problem has been going on for close to six months now without Comcast saying when it will get fixed correct?

assuming you are talking about playback, yes of course. It is just TV. and they fix the easy fix errors very quickly (like last 148.07 closed caption issue). 

New Poster

If you unplug the HDMI cord from your TV and replug it in, it will reset the video to sync with audio.

It does not reset the cable, and takes 2 seconds to reset.

Not sure what causes this, but it seems like it happens when the TV is on for a long period of time.

Hope that helps others...

Tags (1)
New Poster

If you unplug the HDMI cord from your TV and replug it in, it will reset the video to sync with audio.

It does not reset the cable, and takes 2 seconds to reset.

Not sure what causes this, but it seems like it happens when the TV is on for a long period of time.

Hope that helps others...

Regular Contributor

I had a companion X1 set-top box installed last week.  I have noticed some lip sync problems on ABC and FOX mostly.  With my main X1 box I do not notice it as much.  I think I read somewhere on this forum that the companion boxes are a bit problematic in this area vs the main X1 DVR?  If thats true, I hope a fix will be coming soon?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

My main X1 DVR is connected to my Denon AVR via HDMI and out to my Panasonic plasma.  I get basically no lip sync issues.

My RNG companion X1 box to connected to another Denon AVR then HDMI out to a Panasonic plasma (yes I like Denon AVR's and Panny plasmas).  I get lip sync issues on some cable channels, but seems worse on "on demand" material.  Always looks like the video is just ahead of the audio, which means there is basically no adjustment for this.

Lip sync issues annoy me!!

Problem Solver

The solution is out there. Ditch the companion box.
Regular Contributor

gotpizza wrote:
The solution is out there. Ditch the companion box.

And get what another DVR?  I am already paying these people enough!! LOL

I have idea....maybe Comcast recognize this issue, step up and figure out out to fix this with the companion boxes already.  What a novel idea..

Contributor

If you are only seeing 'minimal at worst' issues, w t f are you trolling here for?
Problem Solver

I no longer have a companion box, and when I did I never experienced the issue. I know it exsist, because it has been discussed many times. I believe the team they have working on the issue is a small team. At some point they will be offering a different model secondary stb. At this point it is hard to say when it will be available. I believe that the replacement model will hit the market before a complete fix will happen on your current model. Also I know for a fact that the newer model has no audio issues, that is based from feedback I have seen from those testing it at this present time. We were promised that the newer firmware would fix this stuff, assuming you are running said firmware it seems as if it didn't. .
Regular Contributor

Let me qualify.....the issue presents itself enough that it is noticable to my family members.  We do not see this with the main DVR, so why should we be getting this on the companion?  In my opinion, this is unacceptable for the amount of money I pay Comcast each month.   

BTW,  look at my other posts on this forum, I am not a troll.....

Problem Solver

Dmk, there is no need to use the language you are using. Unless you have been to the OP home than how could you know what their frustration really is. There should be no issues minimal or not with sound. If the other person had no issues with prior equipment and now they upgraded to x1 and there is issues they have a right to be concerned.
Regular Contributor

gotpizza wrote:
I no longer have a companion box, and when I did I never experienced the issue. I know it exsist, because it has been discussed many times. I believe the team they have working on the issue is a small team. At some point they will be offering a different model secondary stb. At this point it is hard to say when it will be available. I believe that the replacement model will hit the market before a complete fix will happen on your current model. Also I know for a fact that the newer model has no audio issues, that is based from feedback I have seen from those testing it at this present time. We were promised that the newer firmware would fix this stuff, assuming you are running said firmware it seems as if it didn't. .

Thank you for your response.  I believe both my boxes are currently on 1.3.4?  Not the 2.0 yet

Problem Solver

I have personally discussed the issues regarding the said fix under 2.0 firmware with someone who is on that team. They claim that it is fixed. I have been running 2.0 for months now and it is a huge improvement in many areas, unfortunately without having a companion myself I have to take the word from the comcast labs team. they have yet to lie to me yet, so I would wait to see what effects you get once you get 2.0. I have been on forum hiatus for a while and assumed wrongly that it has been fully released.
Gold Problem Solver

I was told something similar and I agree that 2.0 is a big improvement however that it should be noted that Companion boxes won't be seeing 2.0 updates right away. A time frame was not given.

Pizza, Neal said they found a bug in 2.0. They stopped pushing it out and some people have had their DVRs revert to 1.3.4.

gotpizza wrote:
I have personally discussed the issues regarding the said fix under 2.0 firmware with someone who is on that team. They claim that it is fixed. I have been running 2.0 for months now and it is a huge improvement in many areas, unfortunately without having a companion myself I have to take the word from the comcast labs team. they have yet to lie to me yet, so I would wait to see what effects you get once you get 2.0. I have been on forum hiatus for a while and assumed wrongly that it has been fully released.

New Poster

Having the issue streaming netflix via internet.  I tried streaming same movie from amazon and have same problem.  I would put my money on the issue being with Comcast device, I have the x1 router.

Also having the issue when streaming video from Youtube and other web pages