Community Forum

Audio and video out of sync

New Poster

Re: Audio and video out of sync

To answer your questions:

I have one DVR and one companion box.  The audio is off from the video on the DVR box, not the companion box, and I have tried different HDMI chords, different brands, different lengths, better AWG grades, etc.  The sync is typically off by a quarter to a half second.  It happens on both live TV and playback of recorded video.

The companion box won't even let me watch my DVR'd programs for longer than a minute before it stops and says "DVR playback error."

The last technician who came to our house said that there's no point in even swapping the boxes out again because it won't do anything...Comcast knows about the issue, and he has the same issue at his house.  So why is Comcast selling us this junk?

New Poster

i am one of the early posters on this thread. it is *less* noticeable and less frequent, but it still exists. it still doesn't exist OTA, and nor on multiple devices that receive streaming video. I did get rid of DirecTV, but if i just find enough time to provision my comcast service into data only, i will probably return to satellite.
Contributor

2.0 just a myth?

We were promised back in December 2.0 would be coming to a set top box near you...

Middle of February and still nothing has come into my box to fix the lag.

STILL paying full tilt and not getting full services.

Slo-motion still only half fixed but yet we still keep paying Comcast.

I think we should call up Mythbusters and see if they can figure out if 2.0 is  busted!!!!!! (i think we all know it is at this point)

Gold Problem Solver

See message #65: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/2-0/td-p/2464571/page/2

@16craig wrote:

2.0 just a myth?

We were promised back in December 2.0 would be coming to a set top box near you...

I think we should call up Mythbusters and see if they can figure out if 2.0 is  busted!!!!!! (i think we all know it is at this point)

Contributor

Ha, again they started last year! they are still "rolling' it out? How about more accurately rolling out at "The Slowskys" turtles pace!!!
I'll believe when I see it and past that... will it fix the problems ALL of us have had for months???

BTW, hows your 2.0 boxes doing with the problems? Did you get full slo-mo back? Do you have lag?

@RickGr4 wrote:

@16craig wrote:

2.0 just a myth?

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Craig,

My X1 signal levels have always been pristine so I have NEVER had an issue with lag. My three Arris DVRs have always been very quick. My slo-mo probably works the same as everybody elses does.

@16craig wrote:
Ha, again they started last year! they are still "rolling' it out? How about more accurately rolling out at "The Slowskys" turtles pace!!!
I'll believe when I see it and past that... will it fix the problems ALL of us have had for months???

BTW, hows your 2.0 boxes doing with the problems? Did you get full slo-mo back? Do you have lag?

@RickGr4 wrote:

@16craig wrote:

2.0 just a myth?

New Poster

I just unplugged the HDMI cable from the tv as suggested above, waited about 3 seconds, & plugged it back in & that fixed the sync problem immediately. No big deal if it is a very occasional problem. Hope it isn't frequent. Only had the X1 box for a week. The out of sync problem started after it rebooted itself early this morning. I then had a hard time getting the box to turn on when I first tried later this morning after the reboot. After several attempts it came on. Used it twice for an hour each time during the day, then about an hour into a movie this evening it went out of sync.
New Poster

Why does everyone assume comcast box is the problem? Do you have any idea how much technology there is with satellites
, broadcast stations, and what-not before it gets to you? If anyone has this problem on a daily basis call Comcast and be nice just like you would with any other company. The company is committed to fixing your problem, but if it isn't their problem stop blaming them for poor customer service. I don't know of anyone who treats the other companies that serve them like they do Comcast. Just because your friend or neighbor has a problem doesn't mean Comcast is worthless. Illogical thinking.
New Poster

Update:  Audio and video have gone out of sync again a couple of times since my earlier post.  Simply turning off the power to the box for a few seconds fixes it.  Turning off the power to the tv did not fix it.  By power off, I mean the "power saver mode."  If you have a stupid-!@#* box like my new one that Comcast can't bother to make work right, you cannot just turn it off with the remote's on/off button because the remote doesn't actually work to turn it off, for no apparent reason, and that is something Comcast doesn't bother to tell you in their instructions either.  Anyway you can turn it off by pushing the lighted button, blue on my unit, or if you don't want to get up from your comfy position, you can use the on-screen guide--click Xfinity like you are going in to find a recording, but then go all the way over to the right to the gear-like image & click on that, then select, if I remember right, "device settings," then go down a few to something like "power settings" and go in and set it to "power save mode."  That turns the box to what appears to be off (but it will still record), and the synchronization will be reset when you turn it back on.  My remote will work to turn the power back on so I don't have to get up.

Frequent Visitor

Aerogal, when Comcast came out to fix a different problem, I ask the tech 'very nicely' about the sync problems.  He came up with a couple suggestions that have been posted here and didn't work.  I had to go into the office for another problem and asked the clerk 'very nicely' about the sync problem and he said it is something they're still working on.  He has the same problem with his box.  It's not an issue of being nice or not.  It's a Comcast issue.

Expert

can you verify XRE version and firmware version on each x1 device? (xfinity button>help>about?

firmware example 2.0..p15s1

xre example 152.05

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

My XRE version is 1.52.05

STB version is 2.0p15s1

Expert

@seamac wrote:

My XRE version is 1.52.05

STB version is 2.0p15s1

Have you seen any pattern of being out of sync? just recorded programs not live programs? Is it SD or HD programs? Any particular network or show that you can name so we can try to record same show to see if issue happens to us?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

No pattern that I've noticed. Only happened three times in ten weeks. Once it was shortly after the box rebooted itself. Don't always know when it does that so can't say if that is part of a pattern.
Frequent Visitor

It's a daily problem if the tv is left on, doesn't matter if it's live or dvr.  Sometimes within a few hours...sometimes it'll last a little longer before I have to turn off the tv for about 10-15 seconds and turn it back on to sync it.

Silver Problem Solver

@seamac wrote:

It's a daily problem if the tv is left on, doesn't matter if it's live or dvr.  Sometimes within a few hours...sometimes it'll last a little longer before I have to turn off the tv for about 10-15 seconds and turn it back on to sync it.

I'm trying to figure out why you have that problem and I don't with my two X1 DVR's and two RNG150 companions.

One possibility is that your wiring isn't up to X1 standards.  You could call Comcast for a tech visit, but if you don't have the service plan, the visit might cost you.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

When it comes to audio sync issues:

-Sometimes it is the X1 box. (very good possibility)
-Sometimes it is the broadcast itself.
-Sometimes it is the TV (check to see if your TV has the latest firmware).
-Sometimes it is a mismatch between the TV and the X1 box. (other than having the latest firmware in your TV there may be nothing you can do about it).
-Sometimes it is just the nature of digital TV.

Whatever is causing the problems, X1 boxes have no settings available to adjust it or fix it. In regards to X1 there is currently nothing that can be done about audio sync issues. The old legacy boxes had settings available that occasionally helped with this issue. Comcast has steadfastly refused to make those settings available to X1 users.

Some people believe that pausing then going back to live TV helps. I have found this fix to be very temporary.

@seamac wrote:

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info.  I've found pausing and/or rewinding doesn't help.  I never had this problem with the old legacy boxes.  Too bad Comcast won't update so we don't have these issues.

Regular Visitor

I have a sync problem with closed captioning as well.  The other day I turned on my TV it was tuned to BBC America and the "Princess Bride" was on, but the captioning was from the previous show "Star Trek The Next Generation". "Princess Bride" had started 17 minute earlier, about 5 minutes later the dialog from "Princess Bride" finally started.  This is a very serious breach of the FCC rules, which says the dialog much coincide with the spoken words.  See https://www.fcc.gov/guides/closed-captioning for details

It is unlikely to be the TV if the cable box controls the CC. The easies way to display the CC is to include it in the image.  I just check my TV it has CC abilities in antenna mode but not in HDMI mode, which means the cable box must send the CC via the image not as a separate CC signal, when using the HDMI connector.

My guess is the software keeps the dialog visible for a fix length of time and adds the new dialog to a queue, instead of deleting the old dialog when the new dialog arrives, as a result the queue builds up over time.

17-22 minutes worth of dialog is a very large queue.

In the mean time, until the CC part of the software is fixed, changing the channel does seem to delete the queue, so every commercial change the channel to resync the CC.

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmmm...

This thread is discussing audio sync not closed captioning. They are entirely different signals, entirely different services, entirely different features. Closed captioning sync can vary greatly. That is not new news.

What's your point???

@MireiderR wrote:

I have a sync problem with closed captioning as well.  The other day I turned on my TV it was tuned to BBC America and the "Princess Bride" was on, but the captioning was from the previous show "Star Trek The Next Generation". "Princess Bride" had started 17 minute earlier, about 5 minutes later the dialog from "Princess Bride" finally started.  This is a very serious breach of the FCC rules, which says the dialog much coincide with the spoken words.  See https://www.fcc.gov/guides/closed-captioning for details

It is unlikely to be the TV if the cable box controls the CC. The easies way to display the CC is to include it in the image.  I just check my TV it has CC abilities in antenna mode but not in HDMI mode, which means the cable box must send the CC via the image not as a separate CC signal, when using the HDMI connector.

My guess is the software keeps the dialog visible for a fix length of time and adds the new dialog to a queue, instead of deleting the old dialog when the new dialog arrives, as a result the queue builds up over time.

In the mean time, until the CC part of the software is fixed, changing the channel does seem to delete the queue, so every commercial change the channel to resync the CC.

Expert

@MireiderR wrote:

next time you have that problem hit pause and see if the captions continue to 'run' catching up even while picture is paused. If so, it has been a problem along with audio sync to video when viewing a local recording asset on other than the actual x1 DVR that has the recording on the hard drive. That means it is being streamed in mpegX format with the various streams (video, audio, closed caption) via MoCA. As previously noted months ago the only way to keep them in sync is to have each of the 3 with the same priority so the MoCA controller will deliver the steams on time.

New Poster

Audio out of sync

Gold Problem Solver

And???

Are you asking for help?

Did you read this thread?

@lore1928 wrote:

Audio out of sync

Expert
Moved:

Duplicate Post Removed. Please do not make multiple posts with the same content.

New Poster

Procedure suggested to unplug HDMI for several seconds brought the Audio and picture back in sync.  Thanks

New Poster

I used the Xfinity Stream portal on my laptop PC (Dell XPS13) for the first time today.  I noticed the lip sync problem on the first program I viewed from my DVR recordings.  As suggested, I deleted the show, then recovered it from the "deleted" folder.  Afterward, it seemed to play quite good.  There may still be a very slight sync issue, but I had to really study it to even see a slight hint of the sync problem.  The delete-and-restore solution worked for me on a sample of one show.

New Poster

I also have a Samsung UHD, forget the model but the 8550 some else mentioned sounds familier.  Got the X-1 & the new tv at the same time so I never used the X-1 with another tv.  When I first use the tv the sync is usually ok.  Sometimes the video goes out of sync with the tv speakers after awhile, and if I turn on the stereo that is often synced-up properly.  Sometimes that also goes out of whack though.  Seems like fast forward or jumping forward or back sometimes causes it.  But I don't think I've ever had a sync problem when using headphones and they are plugged directly into the X-1.  I guess that means it probably is the tv.  Wish I had known it was a tv problem sooner.  I don't think I can return it now that it's two years old.

To get mine back in sync, I usually have to turn off the X-1 for 30 seconds, which wouldn't be so bad but if Comcast could give us an actual off button that worked from the remote.  Don't know why they haven't done that yet.  I guess I'll try the delete & restore program option.

New Poster

The audio sync problem has been a recent problem at my location for some time now. I've been reading the forum posts and have tried unplugging the power to the DVD which wasn't helpful. So, tonight 4-13-17 at 9:48 I tried unplugging the hdmi cable and this fixed the problem. I now wonder how often I might have to do this? Earlier tonight I used my mobile device (iPad) with Comcast's mobile Bluetooth feature and there was no sync issue at all. I'll post more later to update how long the hdmi unplug trick works.

New Poster

I've tried unplugging the HDMI cable several times and it never worked.  Simply turning off the DVR for over 30 seconds almost always works, but stupid Comcast doesn't give us a working off button so it takes awhile to go through the screens to power off so it is still very frustrating, and sometimes it goes out of sync again quickly. 

I've noticed that sometimes the tv goes out of sync, but I can turn that volume off & the stereo volume is in sync, for awhile at least.  But my headphones never go out of sync.  They are plugged directly into the DVR box.  Maybe someone who knows the tech better can use that as a clue to figure out how to prevent the problem on the tv speakers or stereo speakers.

New Poster

Thanks for the simple fix, this appears to have fixed the issue