Community Forum

Apple TV and XR2 remote

Regular Visitor

Apple TV and XR2 remote

Can the XR2 remote device be programmed to operate Apple TV?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Apple TV and XR2 remote

I'm going to move this post from the Macintosh area of the forum to the X1 area to get more relevant eyes on it. (I had moved it to Xfinity equipment, but I saw that ComcastTed had moved another remote question to X1, so X1 looks like the place where informed folks will look.)

You might want to look at the XR2 remote FAQs (frequently asked questions): 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-remote-faqs

You might want to look at this page describing how to have an Apple TV respond to third-party remotes:

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2012/04/24/how-to-control-your-apple-tv-with-any-third-party-remote-cont...

Gold Problem Solver

I was going to respond quickly and say no but I decided to check codes before I responded. I saw no mention of Apple products in the code charts.

I think your best bet is a 3rd party universal remote control, especially if you have an audio/video component involved. I own a wide variety of Harmony remote controls. They control both X1 and Apple TV perfectly.

virusgal wrote:

Regular Visitor

The problem is that the X1 does not recognize my HDMI 2, which is my port for Apple TV.  I have to go to "help" to reset the HDMI port.

Regular Visitor

Oops, forgot to mention, I am using Harmony One universal remote.

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmm,

Whats on your HDMI 1 port? Also, I am an expert with Harmony remotes. I own 10 of them including a Harmony One and three 900s. I have programmed roughly 250 of them.

What TV do you have? How many HDMI ports does it have? If you changed how devices are connected to your HDMI ports your Harmony One needs to be reprogrammed to accommodate the changes.

virusgal wrote:

Oops, forgot to mention, I am using Harmony One universal remote.

Valued Contributor

virusgal wrote:

No, but if you try the arrow keys, I believe that you will find that they work with your Apple TV.  They do with my remote.  I was very surprised.  In other words, some of the Apple TV codes are the same as for the X1 DVR codes.  I don't recall what else worked.  Check it out!

Gold Problem Solver

Are you kidding John? If I had an Apple product I would test that right now. However if the OP owns a Harmony One does it really matter???

jehill wrote:

virusgal wrote:

No, but if you try the arrow keys, I believe that you will find that they work with your Apple TV.  They do with my remote.  I was very surprised.  In other words, some of the Apple TV codes are the same as for the X1 DVR codes.  I don't recall what else worked.  Check it out!

Valued Contributor

jehill wrote:

virusgal wrote:

My bad!  My memory must be going.  The arrow keys for my Sony TV work my Sony Google TV.  That makes more sense, doesn't it!  Sorry about that!

New Poster

You can easily program the Comcast controller to control an Apple TV.  However, you must have a free AUX button on your Comcast controller to dedicate to controling the Apple TV.  I found this on the internet:

https://gist.github.com/carimura/7523120

It is very simple to do - less than 5 minutes - AND it works.  The Comcast arrow keys mimic the Apple TV navigation buttons; the Comcast play is Apple play and Comcast menu is Apple menu or back.  Here are the instructions in case the website is not available:

##Set Apple TV to Aux Keys

--

Press Aux (Device) Button

Hold Setup Key until Aux Button Blinks Twice

Type in code 31115 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last three steps again)

##Fix Play and Pause Keys

--

Hold Setup Key again until Aux Button Blinks Twice

Type in code 994 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last two steps again)

Press (Do Not Hold) Setup Key

Type in code 00234

Press Play (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last five steps again)

Repeat the immediately above five steps, but replace Play with the Pause Key. (This is unnecessary, as the play and pause key are the same on the Apple TV remote, but some people like the buttons to make sense.)

You can copy the Menu key to any other key by doing the following:

Type in code 994 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last two steps again)

Press Menu Key

Press Key you with to behave like the Menu Key. (I do it to the Guide, Exit and Last Key)

Gold Problem Solver

This would not apply to the XR2 remote because it does not have the ability to control an "AUX" device...

Good info for anyone using the old silver remote to control X1 boxes...

MikeNaples wrote:

You can easily program the Comcast controller to control an Apple TV.  However, you must have a free AUX button on your Comcast controller to dedicate to controling the Apple TV.  I found this on the internet:

https://gist.github.com/carimura/7523120

It is very simple to do - less than 5 minutes - AND it works.  The Comcast arrow keys mimic the Apple TV navigation buttons; the Comcast play is Apple play and Comcast menu is Apple menu or back.  Here are the instructions in case the website is not available:

##Set Apple TV to Aux Keys

--

Press Aux (Device) Button

Hold Setup Key until Aux Button Blinks Twice

Type in code 31115 (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last three steps again)

##Fix Play and Pause Keys

--

Press (Do Not Hold) Setup Key

Type in code 00234

Press Play (Aux Button will blink twice, if it is a long blink try last five steps again)

Repeat the immediately above five steps, but replace Play with the Pause Key. (This is unnecessary, as the play and pause key are the same on the Apple TV remote, but some people like the buttons to make sense.)

You can copy the Menu key to any other key by doing the following:

Press Menu Key

Press Key you with to behave like the Menu Key. (I do it to the Guide, Exit and Last Key)

New Poster

Thank you.  I didn't realize that Comcast had moved beyond the old remote.  I guess they don't roll them out in Florida; I just got two X1 remotes today.

New Poster

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201856 - Use "AUX" key for the setup so it doesnt interfere with your dvr play pause and all that jazz.

don't use any codes!!! Use the app built into the Apple TV. This will let you use ←↑→↓, "ok" button for enter/play/pause and "info" button for menu key

if you programmed buttons using some other users instructions reset "AUX" by:

Press "Aux" key once

Press and hold the “Setup” key until "AUX" blinks twice

Enter the code 9-8-0

device key will blink four times confirming the reset successful.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201856

Gold Problem Solver
Moved: