Community Forum

Actor actress bio info gone?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Actor actress bio info gone?

That feature was removed with the latest update (88.1.1). If you still see the bios, your boxes haven’t had the update yet

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Well in that case mine and other boxes on here are getting the update and then losing it.
And it seems your customer's want the bios, so why is the feature removed?
Regular Visitor

I    agree with you. Comcast has made a big mistake! Dropping this great feature.

Regular Visitor

I am going back to custumer service and give them a piece of my mind.Politely of course.

Contributor

When I upgraded to the X1 platform this feature was demonstated and stood out. It was one of the main reasons I switched and had been an integral part of the X1 experience.  It's like browsing biograpies at IMDB (dotcom). There must be a good reason why it was removed, if it took up too much bandwidth causing freeze ups, or other techincal issues. I'd still like a straight answer.  

New Poster

One of the worst moves they've ever made!
Regular Visitor

I went on custumer support to message with a tech for 30 minutes to solve it. If more of us tie up the employees? Maybe something might get done?

New Poster

Program/Actor Information has become too skimpy

Program cast information has suddenly become very generic. "Date of Birth and tv/movie actor" has suddenly replaced in-depth information. Often we would say hey what was he/she in before? We could hit Info - scroll down and boom - your information was exactly what we were looking for. Now there's nothing other than a picture and a birthdate. Please don't  do away with the in-depth descriptions. I'm sure we weren't the only folks who enjoyed that feature of X1. 

New Poster

Re: Cast bio changes

Very upset.  It was interseting to read about actors and find out things I didnt know.

New Poster

My TV has been frezing up more!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Official Employee

That feature was removed with the latest update (88.1.1). If you still see the bios, your boxes haven’t had the update yet.

Ha...it takes special Comcast double-speak to explain that we got an "update" and it removed a "feature."  Note to Comcast: Updates are supposed to improve service and customer experience, not remove or delete features that your customers enjoy. Maybe you should have called it a downdate.
Silver Problem Solver

@CCAndrew wrote:
That feature was removed with the latest update (88.1.1). If you still see the bios, your boxes haven’t had the update yet

Yep.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

That update surely stinks like a dead fish!

Regular Visitor

Why on Earth woluld they remove the actors bio's?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Program/Actor Information has become too skimpy

My wife and I *really* are disappointed with all of the actors, directors and producers biographies ditched, too. Now we get the year and place they were born. The biographies were informative and entertaining as well. Why take it away? I guess leaving it alone made too much sense.
New Poster

I absolutely agree.  It was so handy and informational.  Now I sit and drive myself crazy trying to think of what I may have seen some actor in before.  The bio information now is like "Mr. Obvious."  Of course the actor appeared in TV & Film.  99% of all actors have.  Birth date and place of birth is interesting, but.....  Please bring back the more in depth info.

Regular Visitor

That was the best feature of the platform. Can’t justify paying so much for the service now. Time to cut the cord.
Regular Visitor

I have to say I am really thinking hard about not renewing  comcast when that time comes to do so.

Regular Visitor

Can't agree more! It stinks!

Regular Visitor

My Wife is very ill.She loved reading the Bio's during the old Hollywood movies that help distract her from the pain She is in. Comcast has let us down with there latest updates.

Expert

@raspy wrote:

My Wife is very ill.She loved reading the Bio's during the old Hollywood movies that help distract her from the pain She is in. Comcast has let us down with there latest updates.

I like the bios too but have not used them on the X1 system. I have a wireless connected android nearby that i can use to access the free IMDB app. sometimes i get 'lost' in looking up stuff and have to rewind the TV. hope her pain is removed and she feels better.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

OK, enough about the update. WHY were the actor bios removed???
Simple question Comcast.
Silver Problem Solver

@Scottydakay wrote:
OK, enough about the update. WHY were the actor bios removed???
Simple question Comcast.

Comcast said they were using up too much storage for the number of users who actually looked up the bio's.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Comcast filmography database problems ?

•  
    For the last 2 weeks when I click on the info button for any 
    TV show, and then look at the bio for any actor all I get is the 
    exact same 5 word description for every actor:

Appeared in Film, TV, music.

This seems like a system problem and one of my neighbors
    is having the same problem

When I call the Xfinity help line they have no idea how to 
    fix the problem and they act like it is the first time they 
    have heard this question.

I'd also like to know where the source of this database
    info is since it is frequently wrong.

I am in suburban Philadelphia.

I hate calling Comcast for help because the automated 
    screening menu frequently leads me to a point where 
    none of the options make any sense so I have to go back 
    up the menu and start all over again.

I can't wait to get back to RCN and real TIVO in September
    in time for football season. The last 2 years with Comcast 
    have been a flippin nightmare.

I will never sign a 2 year agreement again with any cable 
    company.
New Poster

I have always enjoyed the bio facts on the actors.  Put them back please.  Very disappointed.

New Poster

Actor profiles

What happened to the actor profiles?  It used to be that we could select an individual from the list of "Cast and Crew" and see a brief history of that person --- age; where they were born; when they got into the business; their filmography; etc.  On 8/10/18, my wife an I noticed that the profiles are not there any more.  Is there a new way to access them?  Will they come back?  Are they gone forever?  Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

New Poster

My wife and I used to refer to the actor bios at least once every day.  It's very disappointing that this useful feature was deleted without any input from or notice to subscribers.

Frequent Visitor

actor bios & record feature gone from remote app

These are 2 very big  enhancements that Comcast has now removed. I feel we shoud get a refund if you are decreasing these depended upon features that we have been paying for. I'm looking into DirecTV...

Frequent Visitor

First of all, two things come to mind. Comcast, in their infinite wisdom, has done something with zero communication with the subscriber. This is not the first time. The removal of the ability to record from the mobile app/web portal comes to mind. Second, this “data” that you talk about being such large overhead is a farce. The data, all data on the X1, is in XML. The guide, the info pages on the programs. The design of the interface. All of it. Very low overhead, designed that way by Comcast for that very reason. Even if the entire subscriber base were to access the actor data all at once, it would still be low bandwidth. It’s text for heavens sake. It doesn’t get any lower bandwidth than that. So, that lie is out of the bag for all to see. My theory, and it’s only a theory at this point, is that the provider that you get the data from, whether it’s Rovi or another provider, jacked up YOUR price. And you wouldn’t pay. That seems to be par for the course with you folks. Again, the No App/Portal Recording issue comes to mind. Whatever it is, you have GOT TO STOP this behavior of non-notification with us, your customer base. It’s reallg bad form, and it created the resentments that your company can ill afford. And the lie about the data overhead fails on so many levels. You stream pandora and Netflix from these boxes. Heavy bandwidth. Or is your system that taxed, that it’s running at such a high percentage of data capacity currently that you can’t afford the bandwidth. I highly doubt that. You don’t broadcast in QAM any longer. Everything is digital. And a coax pipe can handle a lot of data throughput. I didn’t become a Microsoft Certified Network Expert, a Cisco Certified InterNetwork Expert, and Cisco Certified Design Expert for my health. I’m at the top of my game in this field. This is the age of IT. Those who don’t understand it are relegated to answers like “it used too much data” and accept it as gospel. Back to the script now., you’re way too far out in the deep end of the pool.
New Poster

This is terrible, we loved looking at the bios. My 11 year old son even read them with me.  It was great.  Now we get less for our money, I pay more money.  And my picture still screws up and my internet goes out. 

@JakeBrodie wrote:
ME! I’m upset about the change! We enjoyed reading about all the different things in which the cast and crew were involved and their back stories when included.

New Poster

Yes, I am upset also. It was always interesting to see the actor's bios. The info was already researched. Why not keep it? Why doesn't Comcast at least tell us why the bios were discontinued?
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your insite!I agree!

Regular Visitor

I think it was a crumby  thing to do!

Expert

@raspy wrote:

I think it was a crumby  thing to do!

is there a particular show that is an issue? when I hit the info button on the remote I am still seeing the cast/crew. I prefer IMDB but for a quick look it is OK.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

I still have the cast but the cast biographies have been removed. It turns out that this was an important function for a lot of people. I’ve got less than 2 months left on my contract and I’m switching providers at that time. Too frustrating to have services removed without a reduction in price!!!
New Poster

I see the cast and crew but the nice long bios are gone. It would tell you nice things about the actors and movies they were in. Now it just says birthday.
New Poster

That's a rather lame excuse coming from Xfinity.

A bunch of text takes up a lot of space?
Silver Problem Solver

@Danigirl169 wrote:
Well that’s very disappointing. I really enjoyed reading about them😢👎

I miss them also.  But, as a programmer, I had to make choices concerning computer resources which limited what I could do.  If there are 20+ million X1 boxes, that is a LOT of storage space and they probably have statistics that tell them how often those resources are accessed.

Regular Visitor

And yet they sold us those services anyway. If we agreed to pay for a service and it’s taken away, we’re being stolen from. There’s no other interpretation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Smca1 wrote:
And yet they sold us those services anyway. If we agreed to pay for a service and it’s taken away, we’re being stolen from. There’s no other interpretation.

My bill doesn't say anything about that feature.

New Poster

Since we changed to comcast they are cut the benefits and raised ther prices!!!!!  No bio info, often no director even listed.  They have asked more of us and given us way less!!!!! I chose xfinity because of the extra information regarding movies and actors and directos. This is disgraceful.  How could they?  They should decrease the prices if they decrease services.  Often my DVR s\doesn't work, there are glitches in the technology.  Why do they expect us to pay more?  I want the infor back!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

If you are a problem solver, how could you not know how little bandwidth is used by simple texts?

As far as what your billing says, it doesn't say that audio is provided with the video.  But I assume you would expect it to be there like always.  Or, perhaps you wouldn't mind paying extra for it?

New Poster

I am upset about the actor bio's no longer being featured. Bad move, but perhaps done to save their data.

Also, as someone who is sight impaired, larger fonts for the menu would be great. Listening to the voice takes so long and I have to listen to the Rotten Tomatoe rating, etc. Please give me large fonts and bring back the bio's on the actors or at the very least, put the Internet Movie Data Base (IMD on your Apps. That would be great.

Regular Contributor

@ejoy13 wrote:

I am upset about the actor bio's no longer being featured. Bad move, but perhaps done to save their data.

Also, as someone who is sight impaired, larger fonts for the menu would be great. Listening to the voice takes so long and I have to listen to the Rotten Tomatoe rating, etc. Please give me large fonts and bring back the bio's on the actors or at the very least, put the Internet Movie Data Base (IMD on your Apps. That would be great.

I think there is a menu option to increase the fonts. 

to go settings and it should be in there

Official Employee

@ejoy13

Sorry that we upset you when the bios were removed. From my understanding, you are correct, the bios were taking up a lot of space. If you need anything in the future, let us know. Thanks for using the forums. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Yes I Have an idea...Make wiser choices...So many options becoming available.Maybe it will be the little things that will keep us loyal..Just a thought.

Tks Ken

Frequent Visitor

Just so on target..Many if not all who are upset value a type of service you attempt to furnish.We are those that have more than a passing interest,watching something on TV,just to fall a sleep.

I just don't think Xfinity is aware or cares about how we that protest are feeling ignored.

Do take thie as a positive statement.We want and expect what you promise...Excellentcy.

Tks Keg

Contributor

It is my understanding that the bios feature was removed due to a patent issue with Tivo and its subsidiary Rovi. Please don't remove this post or kindly pm me for your reason in doing so. Thank you.

A valued customer since 1988...

Regular Contributor

@walkerpkw wrote:

It is my understanding that the bios feature was removed due to a patent issue with Tivo and its subsidiary Rovi. Please don't remove this post or kindly pm me for your reason in doing so. Thank you.

A valued customer since 1988...

your understanding is incorrect

that patent issue is about being able to set a recording for your DVR from the mobile app

Highlighted
Contributor

Apparently I can't post the link nor the quote from corporate officials or it will get removed. There have been several lawsuits involving Tivo and Comcast. You can email me and I'll forward the link to the article. My ID at comcast.net