Community Forum

Actor actress bio info gone?

Contributor

Actor actress bio info gone?

I noticed last night the actors bio information only shows DOB and where they were born. Is this a temporary glitch or permanant change?

Update: On Monday night or early Tuesday morning, about 5 or 6 days later the bio funtion was restored. It's really frustraitng when it happened and even more-so when customers reported it working again - without a real explanation why. Of course like most everyone I called support and the only suggestion was a reboot or refresh, and nothing changed.

New Poster

Re: Actor actress bio info gone?

I called, they said bio info took up a lot of space and it will be discontinued.
New Poster

Oh no. I really liked that feature. You would think they could just link it to Wikipedia. First the record feature in the app is gone, now this. Thanks for the info.
Contributor

Well, I guess I can live with that because both TV's stopped freezing up.

New Poster

Cast bio changes

Why has Comcast xfinity altered the comprehensive actor bios? They used to give plenty of useful information about the actors etc. NOW, they just substituted it with a fancy screens aver size background with date and place of birth ONLY
Anyone else upset about this downgrade?
Frequent Visitor

Thanks comcast for screwing up more... 1st you got rid of the guide picture in picture.

And now this.

I enjoyed these features.

Y'all want to raise the prices every year... But somehow i doubt you will lower prices when you take services away.

Not cool guys
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cast bio changes

ME! I’m upset about the change! We enjoyed reading about all the different things in which the cast and crew were involved and their back stories when included.
New Poster

Movie Star Biographies

What happened to the Movie Star Bios on Xfinity?? 

Here Yesterday--Gone Today-- No Reason---

It was a Nice feature to find out about different stars--and to see what other movies they were in. 

Also--made it easier to find the Movie with Voice--instead of looking for it-

Anyone else having this problem??

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Movie Star Biographies

@ezgoer1boynton wrote:

What happened to the Movie Star Bios on Xfinity?? 

Here Yesterday--Gone Today-- No Reason---

It was a Nice feature to find out about different stars--and to see what other movies they were in. 

Also--made it easier to find the Movie with Voice--instead of looking for it-

Anyone else having this problem??

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Actor-actress-bio-info-gone/m-p/3119213#M152630

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes. Very disappointed that feature is gone. I read in another thread that Comcast removed it because it (the data) took up too much space. Don’t know if that’s true or not, but surely Comcast can afford to buy more memory. Maybe if enough people call and complain, they’ll bring it back!
Frequent Visitor

I spoke with a friend who works in some sort of engineering capacity with Comcast.  While he was unaware of the biographies being gone, he stated it probably has to do with the amount of bandwidth it uses.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I'm also very disappointed about this change.  I spoke with a friend who works in some sort of engineering capacity with Comcast.  While he was unaware of the biographies being gone, he stated it probably has to do with the amount of bandwidth it uses.  I still don't like it!  

Regular Contributor

X1 actor Biographies no longer available.......

On Sunday 7/22 around 8 pm (ET), the X1 system changed and lost the feature to read an actors bio. All that remains is the person's date and place of birth.

Prior to last night, you could read a paragraph or 2 about that persons life, work, and possibly even a date of death (if applicable)

I enjoyed this feature and wonder 2 things:

1) Why was it taken away?

2) Are there plans to restore this feature (if so, what's the timeframe)

Thank you

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 actor Biographies no longer available.......

@billmich88888 wrote:

On Sunday 7/22 around 8 pm (ET), the X1 system changed and lost the feature to read an actors bio. All that remains is the person's date and place of birth.

Prior to last night, you could read a paragraph or 2 about that persons life, work, and possibly even a date of death (if applicable)

I enjoyed this feature and wonder 2 things:

1) Why was it taken away?

2) Are there plans to restore this feature (if so, what's the timeframe)

Thank you

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Actor-actress-bio-info-gone/m-p/3119213#M152630

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Seriously, 

Name a time that 'people complaining" caused Comcast to do anything in response

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 actor Biographies no longer available.......

I think bandwidth as mentioned is a factor. And as I understand it, there is a limited amount of bandwidth a utility / communications company has available to buy. Some is reserved for emergency govt 911 services.
So for example Comcast can/does buy certain frequencies or amounts, and at&t has so much available to them.
Its a matter of how they best use what is available to them.

I doubt the feature will return, it would take many likes or reply to the post.

A few of us complaining will do little.

i am no expert, but i do play one on tv Smiley Happy
New Poster

Complaining worked, the bios are back. 

Regular Contributor

I am happy if the feature is restored, 

but I don't believe complaining here was the reason why this feature came back.

Frequent Visitor

Yes I have a problem with the new format.Even tho the old format was riddled with incorrect info and many time wrong photos,It was better than this feeble attempt.

Like someone said.......Way to go Comcast,you too another step back.What next to make us happier in your mind?

New Poster

I am not seeing them on my TV.

Frequent Visitor

They aren’t back on my 📺. ☹️
Regular Visitor

You have the bio's back? We don't we really enjoyed that feature

Silver Problem Solver

@raspy wrote:

You have the bio's back? We don't we really enjoyed that feature

Maybe a System Refresh will help?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-system-refresh

Frequent Visitor

System reset didn’t bring back the bios.
I sent an email through Comcast customer service and got the following boloney reply:
“Thank you for contacting the Office of Tom Karinshak and for choosing Comcast. My name is Anette, and I sincerely apologize for the reasons you are not happy with the removal of the actors and crew biographies. I agree with you. I am not sure if this was a Comcast decision. I believe the Networks decided. Since we Broadcast what the Networks provide. I appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback.”
I googled Rovi and found the acquired TiVo. Since TiVo is sort of competition for Comcast’s DVR, maybe that’s why they’re not working together anymore.
Frequent Visitor

I will accept this as a service they can no longer buy to provide to us?

(system refresh did not work for me either)

Ok, well LOWER YOUR PRICE THEN! 

You charge us more and more every year, we always see when the networks want a new higher price contract....

"Contact your provider to maintain this channel after (date) it will be removed, tell them you want to keep it!"

So the network/channel want more money to keep providing content, yes? 

(so by this logic)

A service is no longer available...ok don't charge us for something you can't provide....Sounds fair to me?

Frequent Visitor

I did some more googling and found Comcast and TiVo (Rovi) have been in a patent violation lawsuit. TiVo is suing Comcast for eight patent infringements. TiVo owns the actor biographies and probably is no longer providing the data.
New Poster

Dumb move by Comcast. Enjoyed reading the bios. Taking up too much room? Isn’t it like the web with infinite amount of space? Would’ve been nice to ask us consumers.
Frequent Visitor

MINE IS BACK!

Did they listen that quick, i doubt it.

I will report back if this changes.
Regular Visitor

It's Back!  I went on chat two nights ago to comment about the loss of a great feture!

Regular Visitor

The feature is back! There was enough disappointment out there to bring it back!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

reset every box in the house, or just the main DVR box?

Frequent Visitor

If you have voice remote... Just say "system refresh"

Main only is all i did.
Regular Contributor

refresh is very different than a reset

that takes like 10-15 minutes

Regular Contributor

I did a system refresh and the bio's did NOT come back

I am in the Detroit area

Frequent Visitor

I also did refresh and did not get the bios.
Frequent Visitor

Hmm. I did system refer and the bios didn’t show up.
Silver Problem Solver

I just checked my DVR and I got it for "A Knight's Tale" - Heath Ledger.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RGWN8VlESvP-5clcFYp6MEiTMejJ-H9rDKDlX0-LSzslM4gel5OPA6rz75S9jsKyH5...

Frequent Visitor

Not me. All I get is his pic, name, “Appearing in: Film & TV,” birthdate and birthplace. No additional biographical information.
836904B2-5447-40B2-A790-42E06B2E31A3.jpeg
Silver Problem Solver

Which X1 box do you have?  

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I get it on my DVR.

New Poster

What happened to Bio and Movie descriptions?

Xfinity used to have nice Bios and movie descriptions, but now NOTHING! Does anyone know what happened?

Regular Visitor

Agreed. Worst company in the world. I called today to check why the actor biographies vanished without a word and the rep did a system refresh (we already did that last night) and then told me that biography would be restored withing the hour. So far, nothing. She had no idea what the problem was or how to fix it. I told her to go to the xfinity forums where other people were complaining. Feel sorry for the reps who have to work there and even sorrier for being a customer of such a lousy company.

Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Which X1 box do you have?  

I get it on my DVR.

Interesting. I see the same thing as JakeBrodie. Maybe the bios only apply to the newer DVR models?

New Poster

Another to get rid of cable.
Silver Problem Solver

FYI, the extended bio i posted earlier from my DVR does NOT appear on my XG2.

New Poster

TV information on TV/Movie stars

Until about a week ago, I used to be able to get information on a TV show/movie using the "Information" button.  Then you could scroll down to the cast of actors for that particular show/movie.  Highlight an actor, hit information, and get a relatively complete bio of the actor.  Now it's just a line saying "appearing in TV/films" [Duh, what else would they be...plumbers?] and a birthday.  What happened to the previous background information?

Regular Visitor

Re: TV information on TV/Movie stars

It had been restored.Now it's gone again! I am very unhappy with the powers that be messing with us.

Frequent Visitor

The bio info returned and now is gone again.
This is now some kinda bug or maybe during any peak demand, it is disabled for the bandwidth issues?

Might be as stoopid as problem with Java.... Do X1 boxes use Java like the old school?

Hey Comcast, isn't it about time to say.... "we are aware of this bug and are working on it".

It would not come and go, if this was some kind of lawsuit or bad business decision as others have suggested.
Contributor

It's come and gone again for me as well. Currently as of 17:00  7/31 no detailed biographies. Oh, I should mention today, 2 outages lasting 4 hours. I had no internet, cable or phone. Cell phones don't work well without wifi so there's no way to call or verify what's happening in real time.

It would be nice for an official comcast reply.

Regular Visitor

I really have to say that this issue is very disappointing . We really enjoy seeing the Bio info .

New Poster

Well that’s very disappointing. I really enjoyed reading about them😢👎