Community Forum

ARRIS RNG150N HD BOX HELP

New Poster

ARRIS RNG150N HD BOX HELP

Hey all,

This just came in the mail today.

I set it all up, called in and activated. However, everything is still playing in 720p instead of 1080p on my 1080, 120HZ refresh rate TV.

The person with whom I spoke with said It might take up to an hour or more for it to fully kick in for me to recieve the 1080 picture quality. 

I have googled this particular box to heck and back to no avail. There is NO information on this particular Box.

Again, please note, this is the ARRIS RNG150N, NOT the Motorola, Cisco or anything else.

Thank you for the help in advance.

New Poster

Re: ARRIS RNG150N HD BOX HELP

I got the same box today. Took a while to set up, and my picture also seems off. Also, I have no channel numbers displayed when i change channels, and am unable to access any sort of menu. No user manual for this box found, only for a Pace RNG150N, with a similar back but different front.

New Poster

Yup. No display on the front and when I check my TV info it's showing me that the channels are playing in 720p even though it's clear and fullscreen, like a 1080 channel would be. Very frustrating. Not sure if this is a super new box or what but I cannot find ANY information on it.

New Poster

Is your guide or menu working on your box? I've just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Comcast and they tried anything and everything to get the guide working and still no results. I'm supposed to call back tomorrow if there's no progress and they might have to send out a technician. So much for self-install. The modem that i bought, that is in their suggested list, is also not getting internet. Not too impressed with Comcast so far.

New Poster

This is some super ghetto knockoff. Under my equipment, this box is listed as a MOTOROLA MR150CNM Which it certainly is NOT. There is NO information or documentation on this ARRIS RNG150N 

New Poster

Arris is actually a new partner with Comcast. For whatever reason, although Comcast is shipping Arris products, they have failed to put such information on their website. My box also comes up as a Motorola. 

Problem Solver

Everyone, that is because Arris bought out Motorola when they split up during the Google buy out.  Pace now owns the Cisco Set Top Box division, when Cisco sold it.  It really does not matter if it comes up Pace, Motorola, Arris, just as long as the box works.

As for refresh rate, it will only do 1080p/24.  120hz is only what the tv will do, and there is a long discussion on avsforum.com about 120hz not being the best for a lot of sets.

In reality though, 1080p will come up on most HDTV flatscreens as 1080p/60, if you have the box set to upscale to 1080p, even though the programming may be in 480i/480p/720p/1080i.

New Poster

Makes a lot more sense.

I was actually able to bring up the menu by turning off the box, leaving my TV on, and hitting the 'menu' button on the remote which brings up a menu that allowed me to set the standard res up to 1080i over 720p which looks so much better!

Thanks for all of the info.

New Poster

Your tv's are showing 720 because the boxes default to 720. To switch to 1080 press the grey power button at the top of your remote then immediately press the menu button when the box shuts off. This should bring up the av settings screen. Arrow down one spot to 16:9 and it will say 720. Press over(to the left I think) and this will switch it to 1080. Y

New Poster

I know it's been a long time since you posted this, but did you ever get your menu and guide to start working? I just got this box today and I can't get the guide, menu or channel numbers to show up on the tv. Thanks!
New Poster

You need to change the video output setting manually to 1080p, follow these steps on each box to change the setting to 1080p

hit the Xfinity button, scroll all the way to the settings button (gear shaped icon) then scroll down to device settings and click ok, scroll down to video display and click ok, scroll down to video output resolution and change the setting to 16:9, 1080p60HD

This will correct the video output setting,
New Poster

There is no "Xfinity button" on either the box or their remotes. What box are you refering to here?

Anywho, regarding the Arris RNG150N. The Motorola RNG150N manual is about 99% accurate to the Arris model. Menu access is as follows:

From the remote, power off the box then immediately press the menu button. The settings menu should launch where you can force the HDMI mode, how it handles 4:3 programming, video and audio quality and other things.

Problem Solver

On the My Accoubt page, I've noticed that the manufacturer information is almost always wrong. Mine are always listed as "NONCPE"
Expert

scjohnson312 wrote:
On the My Accoubt page, I've noticed that the manufacturer information is almost always wrong. Mine are always listed as "NONCPE"

cpe = customer provided equipment. your's is non-CPE meaning maybe you rent a modem device?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Robert_Klace wrote:

There is no "Xfinity button" on either the box or their remotes. What box are you refering to here?

Anywho, regarding the Arris RNG150N. The Motorola RNG150N manual is about 99% accurate to the Arris model. Menu access is as follows:

From the remote, power off the box then immediately press the menu button. The settings menu should launch where you can force the HDMI mode, how it handles 4:3 programming, video and audio quality and other things.

you are posting in the x1 forum. Do you have the older legacy system (only 2 tuners)?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

scjohnson312 wrote:

cpe = customer provided equipment. your's is non-CPE meaning maybe you rent a modem device?

There's no modem on the account, and of course the XG1 is rented.

Expert

scjohnson312 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

scjohnson312 wrote:

that's the problem then. 877-896-8678 needs to get your equipment (modem) on the same account. 

Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

scjohnson312 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

scjohnson312 wrote:

that's the problem then. 877-896-8678 needs to get your equipment (modem) on the same account. 

Well, there is no problem, and it works just fine. The modem and base service are on a bulk account, the XG1 is on a bulk addon account. I'm assuming this is just how these always work. Point is, the manufacturer listed probably means nothing.