Community Forum

4K receiver - non DVR

Highlighted
Contributor

4K receiver - non DVR

I have the 4k DVR and got a 2nd 4K tv I'd like to get a 4K receiver for and noticed they don't appear to have a coax input.  I have my own router and modem and wondering is the only way to get 4K on a 2nd tv is to rent a Comcast modem/router combo?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

Yes, unless you get a second dvr

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Is this just a way to force the Comcast modem on someone to get the rental fee?  I just don't see any other rationale.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

It uses moca to get live tv and that’s how moca works, dvr talks to gateway, gateway talks to wireless box. See how your personal modem doesn’t fit in the equation?

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

I do, but I guess I was thinking more as to why can't the box just have a coax connection and not be solely wireless?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@uof2002 wrote:

I do, but I guess I was thinking more as to why can't the box just have a coax connection and not be solely wireless?

There are coax and wireless boxes.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

I believe the OP is referring to specifically about 4K boxes (see title of the thread).

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, I'm referring specifically to a 4K box and wondering why the only option for a non-DVR box would be wireless?  I have a 4K DVR box and now have a 2nd 4K TV I'd like to get a 4K box for.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@uof2002 wrote:

Yes, I'm referring specifically to a 4K box and wondering why the only option for a non-DVR box would be wireless?  I have a 4K DVR box and now have a 2nd 4K TV I'd like to get a 4K box for.

These are our only option at this time:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Expert

@uof2002 wrote:

although coax is not on the xi6 ethernet is (wired) so you can bypass using wireless but the connection must still go to the same Comcast modem so the MoCA can be put on the ethernet cable. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!