Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

4K broadcasting

Frequent Visitor

4K broadcasting

I have a Sony 4K TV on order. I read someplace that I would also need and updated set top box to go with the new television and so I now also have an XG1v4 on order also.

My current X1 box is model XG1-A.

Now I am doing more research and reading and I wonder why I really need this new box. If I understand correctly, the only 4k broadcasts available now are through streaming. My new TV will accomodate streaming and so would a Roku.

So this is my question: As far as I can tell Comcast/Xfinity does not currently offer 4k programming, so did I really need to order this new box? Is there any reason at all to have this new box? (Other than it looks cooler than the box I have now).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject....................... dk

Accepted Solutions
Valued Contributor

Re: 4K broadcasting

The XG1v4 allows you to upconvert the standard Comcast signal to 4K and output that to your TV, if that is your preference (That's what I do).  Some like that a 4K signal is input into their TV and think that offers a better picture than inputting a 1080 signal and letting the TV upconvert.  Others think that the TV does a better job at upconverting.

The only recent time that Comcast has produced an actual 4K HDR signal for us to watch was during the winter olympics, several events were broadcast on a tape delay basis and were available on demand but they all dissapeared as soon as the olympics were over.  That picture was very good and it is unfortunate that Comcast does not seem willing to do anything more for their customers wanting a 4K picture. 

Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and several other providers all offer 4K signals for some of their programming.  The XG1v4 allows you to get a 4K picture on YouTube and Netflix, although the Apps for these services that are on my TV look better than the one on from the Comcast box.

I suppose that if Comcast ever does actually offer something in 4K, it would be nice to have the STB that would allow you to watch it.

All Replies
Valued Contributor

The XG1v4 allows you to upconvert the standard Comcast signal to 4K and output that to your TV, if that is your preference (That's what I do).  Some like that a 4K signal is input into their TV and think that offers a better picture than inputting a 1080 signal and letting the TV upconvert.  Others think that the TV does a better job at upconverting.

The only recent time that Comcast has produced an actual 4K HDR signal for us to watch was during the winter olympics, several events were broadcast on a tape delay basis and were available on demand but they all dissapeared as soon as the olympics were over.  That picture was very good and it is unfortunate that Comcast does not seem willing to do anything more for their customers wanting a 4K picture. 

Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and several other providers all offer 4K signals for some of their programming.  The XG1v4 allows you to get a 4K picture on YouTube and Netflix, although the Apps for these services that are on my TV look better than the one on from the Comcast box.

I suppose that if Comcast ever does actually offer something in 4K, it would be nice to have the STB that would allow you to watch it.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply(s) :  I didn't think of the upconvert part . I guess I could have waited to order the new box, but I do like new stuff so it will be great fun. 

And if Comcast does open the door to 4k one of these days, I'll be ready.

Problem Solver

@Daniel-k wrote:

Thanks for your reply(s) :  I didn't think of the upconvert part . I guess I could have waited to order the new box, but I do like new stuff so it will be great fun. 

And if Comcast does open the door to 4k one of these days, I'll be ready.

I would check your next Comcast bill after getting the 4K DVR. If there is no increase in monthly charge then having the box early doesn't matter much even without 4k from Comcast. You still have use of the DVR.