Community Forum

4K UHD

New Poster

A year late on rolling out 4K?!

In 2015 Xfinity released it would be releasing a box capable of 4K resolution which has been on the market for over a year now.

Many others are doing this... why has it not been released yet.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: A year late on rolling out 4K?!

Your guess might be as good as anyone else's. However 4K is discussed quite often in this forum and there is plenty of information available on current running threads.

Feel free to use the forum search box if you wish to read further on this issue.

Michaelturner5 wrote:
In 2015 Xfinity released it would be releasing a box capable of 4K resolution which has been on the market for over a year now.

Many others are doing this... why has it not been released yet.

Expert

on another thread didn't someone predict most providers might skip 4k and go to 8k and UHD and ATMOS?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

8K is real and may not be far away in other parts of the world. There were 8K cameras at the 2016 Olympics and 8K signal was sent to Japan.

But I choose to fight battles I have a chance of winning. I have a big and beautiful 4K TV yet Comcast appears to be out to lunch when it comes to 4K (the 4K UHD Sampler app is a joke) so I will continue to research other 4K providers.

Expert

I take that you are still having problems with the Ultra HD Sampler app and your LG OLED TV, Rick.

They just added the 2016 season of "Outlanders" in 4K to the app about 2 weeks ago. The day we left on a trip with MH. I just watched an episode today on my Samsung UHD TV without a problem as usual. I hope they get the bugs out for your model TV.

The Rio Olympics 4K (& HDR) versions are still in the app.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

MNtundraRET wrote:

I take that you are still having problems with the Ultra HD Sampler app and your LG OLED TV, Rick.

They just added the 2016 season of "Outlanders" in 4K to the app about 2 weeks ago. The day we left on a trip with MH. I just watched an episode today on my Samsung UHD TV without a problem as usual. I hope they get the bugs out for your model TV.

The Rio Olympics 4K (& HDR) versions are still in the app.

I still can't get my UHD Sampler App to work.  I has a tech out before the Olympics, that had no effect.  I called Samsung, still nothing.  So I've given up on it.  

I just bought an XBox One S with a 4K Blu ray player built in, so I'll get my 4K from that, Amazon and Netflix.  DirecTV has Notre Dame football games in 4K on thier 4K channel, I did not see last weekend's game but hope my schedule will coincide with a broadcast while I am away from home soon.    It wouldn't surprise me if DirecTV continues to add 4K broadcasts of live major sporting events.  Maybe College Football Playoffs, or even the Super Bowl.  I have no hope whatsoever of Comcast ever broadcasting a live football game in 4K.

Comcast is woefully behind all other providers when it comes to 4K and they should be embarrassed!

Expert

Since yesterday Comcast added more current seasons to the shows being provided in 4k versions.

I believe they are trying to make an effort to supply more 4K programing, in spite of the problems they seem to have with other versions of streaming for various devices.

Regular Contributor

What new shows are you seeing. Nothing has changed in mine. Just the same 3 Olympic events and the 5 shows that have been there for months.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Since yesterday Comcast added more current seasons to the shows being provided in 4k versions.

I believe they are trying to make an effort to supply more 4K programing, in spite of the problems they seem to have with other versions of streaming for various devices.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Gold Problem Solver

MNtundra,

You and I must not be watching the same thing. HDR is no longer working on most Olympic events. I can't watch Superstore for more than a minute without freezing or audio breakups.

You seem to be a 4K UHD enthusiast and you seem to be trying to support Comcast. However...

Do you have a 10 bit HDR capable TV?

Are the Comcast 4K UHD Sampler apps working for you as they should be? Or are you seeing issues? What is the model number of the TV you make your observations on?

MNtundraRET wrote:

Expert

There were new episodes for the current season on "Outlanders" and two more for "Suits". I thought "Suits" had 7 new episodes for 2016 added but part of the season was added a few months ago which I watched then.

Things get confusing when Comcast removed some shows and episodes around Rio Olympics and more recently replaced some of the same shows and episodes. I guess they think most people never had the ability to watch them the first time around.

No one knows what the heck Comcast is doing including their employees.

Regular Contributor

The best was that earlier this year Comcast said that the long awaited UHD boxes would be rolling out in time for the Olympics.  LOL!

Expert

One thing that has not been brought up with the problems found when using the "Ultra HD Sampler" app originally for a few models of Samsung UHD televisions is the REMOTE.

In 2015 Samsung introduced the mini-remote called the "Samsung Smart Control". Almost all brands of televisions, DVD player's, A/V devices, etc., all have different control-codes for each button on the remote to control TV, etc.

We all know the remote from Comcast has a direction sheet with a long list of codes from each manufacturer for setting up the Comcast remote. I would be willing to bet that while Comcast has made some effort to list different brands and models of UHD to try and get to work with the app. The current problem may now be with your different remotes not having the correct control-codes to function properly. Any button used without correct code could easily bomb the app. I really don't think their programmers were capable of error-trapping all possible wrong codes which could bomb the app.

I have been using the app at home when not traveling. This afternoon I did test a watch part of episodes from Rio under: UHD/HDR, and UHD only. I also watched 3 episodes from different television series in 4K (UHD).

Gold Problem Solver

MNtundra,

Please provide the exact model number of your 4K UHD TV...

Thanks.

MNtundraRET wrote:

One thing that has not been brought up with the problems found when using the "Ultra HD Sampler" app originally for a few models of Samsung UHD televisions is the REMOTE.

In 2015 Samsung introduced the mini-remote called the "Samsung Smart Control". Almost all brands of televisions, DVD player's, A/V devices, etc., all have different control-codes for each button on the remote to control TV, etc.

We all know the remote from Comcast has a direction sheet with a long list of codes from each manufacturer for setting up the Comcast remote. I would be willing to bet that while Comcast has made some effort to list different brands and models of UHD to try and get to work with the app. The current problem may now be with your different remotes not having the correct control-codes to function properly. Any button used without correct code could easily bomb the app. I really don't think their programmers were capable of error-trapping all possible wrong codes which could bomb the app.

I have been using the app at home when not traveling. This afternoon I did test a watch part of episodes from Rio under: UHD/HDR, and UHD only. I also watched 3 episodes from different television series in 4K (UHD).

Expert

UN65JU7500 FXZA   65inch Curved Samsung 3D UHD TV.

If you go to the Samsung site you should be able to down-load the manual to understand how their "Samsung Smart Control" works.

Regular Contributor

Oh, I didn't realize the new shows were new episodes for some of the existing series. They are there in my app as well.

MNtundraRET wrote:

There were new episodes for the current season on "Outlanders" and two more for "Suits". I thought "Suits" had 7 new episodes for 2016 added but part of the season was added a few months ago which I watched then.

Things get confusing when Comcast removed some shows and episodes around Rio Olympics and more recently replaced some of the same shows and episodes. I guess they think most people never had the ability to watch them the first time around.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Expert

egnlsn wrote:
Oh, I didn't realize the new shows were new episodes for some of the existing series. They are there in my app as well.

MNtundraRET wrote:

many/most series are in the summer rerun period and each time an older show is shown it is added to the on-demand list of episodes with a new expiration date.

Expert

I should add that the shows in 4K on the "Ultra HD Sampler" app are got given to us until after the original showing in HD on regular cable. It is most likely in the contract beween channel provider and Comcast for releasing the 4K version.

Regular Contributor

I was hoping that "Suits" would have been from season 1, but, alas, it is not. I've had to start watching it via Amazon. Eventually, I'll get up to season 6, which is where the HD Sampler app begins. Then, perhaps I can watch it via the HD Sampler app. If it's anything like "Power," though, I won't be watching it there. Constant buffering. And that on a 100Meg+ connection.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Contributor

I think 4K is too big an expense for the TV Stations and Comcast and it will eventually go the way of 3D. 

I'm am not too smart, I bought a 3D TV 5 years ago and bought a 4K TV last year. Wasted a lot of money!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

NETFLIX - via the Internet on your Smart TV ...   tons of 4K / HDR stuff ...  you just need to stream it over a High Speed Router via that TV, not your XFINITY box.  If you just do NETFLIX via your Xfinity box, you won't get 4K.  

Expert

Cody21 wrote:

NETFLIX - via the Internet on your Smart TV ...   tons of 4K / HDR stuff ...  you just need to stream it over a High Speed Router via that TV, not your XFINITY box.  If you just do NETFLIX via your Xfinity box, you won't get 4K.  

acdtually if you are using a 4k set top box you will get Neflix on an X1 set top box in 4k. (xg1-v4 DVR for example).

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

acdtually if you are using a 4k set top box you will get Neflix on an X1 set top box in 4k. (xg1-v4 DVR for example).

Rusty:

If some has a 4K television with apps built in, They really don't need the 4k DVR box yet. Things work better for us using the television 4K Apps directly over the Internet.

Until Comcast starts linear cable in 1080P and 4K, why should we waste our time with a X1 and a 4k DVR box that have known problems not fixed yet? The DVR is currently only needed with cheaper 4K televisions that are not "smart" and don't contain the apps.

I am waiting until that time.

Mark