4K UHD

New Poster

does comcast broadcast in 4K

Does Comcast Broadcast thier programming in 4 K for the newer tv's

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Smart 4K Ultra HD TV,s

No, right now nothing is broadcasted in 4K. No ETA either

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

4K boxes

Comcast infinity triple play user here. I have a nice Sony 65" 4K television I have been using since last fall.

When is Comcast going to deliver the 4k boxes? All of my 4k content comes from Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube. This constantly pushes me close to my Intermet limit (which was never mentioned on my two year contract). If I could get 4k content from Comcast I would view it. Is the delay of the 4k boxes legitimate or is Comcast stalling just to bill customers for internet overages?

Tags (4)
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K boxes

There is no ETA on 4K boxes.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Problem Solver

and there is no eta on Channel provider_owners  making their channels available in 4k,

let alone content providers making sufficient 4k content available to Channel provider_owners.

Frequent Visitor

There is lots of 4K content on Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube. Maybe you should read my post again.

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

Direct TV has a 24 hour 4k channel. Not that I am a fan, but I will go where the programming is.

Close this thread.

Tags (2)
Gold Problem Solver

The so called 4K content currently being streamed by the three providers you mentioned is highly compressed and to most people think it is no better than 1080.

If you want real 4K content right now buy the new Samsung 4K Blu-ray player. I've seen it and it looks great.

Personally I think 4K alone is already dead. 4K plus HDR is the future. Many people involved with decision making now agree that 4K alone is not a big enough improvement but 4K along with HDR is the big improvement that just about anyone will notice.
Frequent Visitor

UHD Broadcasting and Xfinity uhd box to receive it.

Anything new on the UHD receiver from Comcast?   Does anyone know which areas are being tested or which areas will be test marketed?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Re: UHD Broadcasting and Xfinity uhd box to receive it.

Still no word.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert
Moved:

Re: Smart 4K Ultra HD TV,s

Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K Tv

To Bad comcast throttles streaming traffic so -- technically yes NetFlix has 4k programming.....however even so chances are you aren't getting the full / true 4k experience streaming to your tv...because of throttling. 

Expert

@Tomsal74 wrote:

To Bad comcast throttles streaming traffic so -- technically yes NetFlix has 4k programming.....however even so chances are you aren't getting the full / true 4k experience streaming to your tv...because of throttling. 

comcast internet does not throttle at all. Thre there are test 'episodes' on netflix that literally show you as speeds stop  step up as connection proves reliable. (starts in low detail and moves to highest speed as each step up in quality is attempted and verified. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Tomsal74 wrote:

You most likely have incoming signal or wiring issues that are limiting your bandwidth.

Gold Problem Solver

A couple years ago, there was an accusation that Comcast was intentionally throttling Netflix servers but apparently that was resolved some time ago.

Here in the Twin Cities, I am on Blast 105 internet. My internet always tests at 124 to 125mbs. If Comcast is doing any "throttling", it is well ABOVE the stated speeds I am supposed to be receiving...

@Tomsal74 wrote:

New Poster

When will 4K service be available through comcast

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K

There is no timetable yet.

Silver Problem Solver

@BTST87 wrote:

When will 4K service be available through comcast

Maybe when the networks start broadcasting in 4k?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Sure there's no broadcast content in 4K, but that doesn't mean Comcast couldn't provide on demand content in 4K the way other providers like DirecTV, Amazon, and Netflix are currently.
Silver Problem Solver

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:
Sure there's no broadcast content in 4K, but that doesn't mean Comcast couldn't provide on demand content in 4K the way other providers like DirecTV, Amazon, and Netflix are currently.

They probably will.  But they haven't said anything about it yet.

Gold Problem Solver

I have a brand new 65" LG OLED 4K TV. Netflix and Amazon have very good 4K streaming picture quality but they are light years behind 4K Blu-ray and Kaleidescape.

I recently saw a demonstration of a Kaleidescape Stratos 4K player and it was the best picture quality I have ever seen on a consumer level TV.

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:

Frequent Visitor

[quote=RobertWy]They probably will. But they haven't said anything about it yet.[/quote]
Oh. Except this... http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-to-launch-4k-uhd-set-top-box
A year ago...
Gold Problem Solver

It sounds like Comcast is not going to release the Xi4. We have heard that it did not pass field testing and we have also heard that Comcast feels the 4K without HDR is not enough of an improvement. Sounds like we need to wait for Xi6.

The Xi5 is rumored to be HDR capable but not 4K. If that is true the Xi5 will be a waste of time because there is no content for HDR that isn't 4K.

Personally, I think Comcast doesn't want to spend the money to develop 4K and they are seriously dragging their feet. I highly doubt we will see 4K from Comcast in 2016.

@theposimosh wrote:
[quote=RobertWy]They probably will. But they haven't said anything about it yet.[/quote]
Oh. Except this... http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-to-launch-4k-uhd-set-top-box
A year ago...

Valued Contributor

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:

It also means there is no reason why Comcast couldn't supply a STB that would upconvert 1080 signals to output them at 4K at 60HZ.  The latest Tivo Bolt STB allready does this and the picture is substantially better than what the X1 STB gives us.

Just like when HD first came out, 15 years or so ago.  The networks were slow to broadcast an actual HD signal but Comcast still had a STB that would upconvert and output an HD signal.  The time has come for Comcast to supply a similar box that will upconvert, and eventually pass through a 4K signal and one that will broadcast a Dolby Atmos signal also.

Gold Problem Solver

Not sure I agree. Your TV should up convert any 4K content better.

The converting in my LG OLED is vastly better than anything else I have seen.
Valued Contributor

Try letting another component upconvert, for example a Denon AVR or the Tivo Bolt.  If your other component will output a 4K signal at 60HZ, I would say that inputiing that 4K signal and letting the TV optimize using a feature such as UHD Color, will give you a better picture overall.

Just my opinion, but inputting 4K (the 60HZ is the important part) and displaying a 4K picture is better than inputing 1080, letting the TV "enhance", and still displaying a 1080 picture.  When I do that with my Denon AVR -X3200 receiver and Samsung JS-8500 TV, I get better results.

Maybe a TV in the higher $3000 - $4000 range would do better, but I cannot attest to that.

The point of the thread here, though, is that Comcast should supplya STB capable of doing this, which they currently do not.

Gold Problem Solver

I realize everyone's results on this issue may vary but when I had my Marantz 7007 (a three year old $1800 receiver) do the up scaling and send 4K signal to my new LG, the picture was noticeably poorer in comparison to when I turned the scaler in my receiver off and sent 1080p to the TV.

It should be noted that the local Samsung video rep highly recommends not using AV receivers internal scalers. He feels in almost all cases the TVs own scaler will be better. Based on my experience I tend to agree with him.
Frequent Visitor

Don't know about Direct TV, but the 4k content on Netflix and Youtube is real. I have seen it. And your other opinions about 4k being dead are wrong and show a incredible bias.

Frequent Visitor

Re: 4k service

Never mind.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

I have learned more about this in the past few weeks.

Hulu has no 4k.
Amazon Prime charges extra for most of their 4k content. I will be canceling my Prime membership very soon.
I don't care about 4k on YouTube.

Netflix is a different story. They have a fair amount of 4k content. Also the picture quality appears to improve as you watch it. Apparently Netflix measures your internet speed before you see their best quality.

The biggest problem with Netflix is their 4k content is in stereo not Dolby Digital surround which is a HUGE disappointment.
Frequent Visitor

You're partially right, partially wrong.  The 4k on Netflix is very good indeed, have been watching the Black List (from program 1, season 1) and totally hooked LOL.

The surround sound is working incredibily well.

To retiriate, the 4K on my Samsung curved screen is much better than what I see in the theaters.

Gold Problem Solver

Jim,

We are both somewhat right here. When watching 4k Netflix, you are getting PCM 2.0 which is digital stereo. That means your audio system is in Dolby Pro Logic (analog surround processing). Technically your system is in surround mode but it is the old school DPL not the vastly superior Dolby Digital 5.1.

Update!!!

Actually, I stand corrected. My TV did a update to the Netflix app and I now have Dolby Digital 5.1 when streaming 4k Netflix. Sorry for any misinformation.

Expert

Evidently I posted "UHD Sampler App" under the wrong category.

Have been using the "UHD Sampler App" for over the last 3 months. It was created for 2015 or new Samsung UHD Tv's.

The app does not require an X1 cable box, or internet service from Comcast for that matter. See my posts under Xfinity TV / Xfinity TV and Mobile Apps.

Read all my replies to get and use the app.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

The UHD Sampler app is available for select LG TV sets as well...
Expert

Actually; I did reply to the correct location to post since the Samsung UHD TV does not require an X1 Box. I have the Xfinity Cisco RNG150N cable box. The cable box needs to be plugged in, but the app functions better with it turned off.

Expert

As of this date, 7/23/16, your post is note quite accurate.

We could be watching UHD (4) over the air in Japan. They will be showing Olympics in Reo to their audience in 4K, and in 8K in four years. Nipon manfactures OTA transmiting equipment, cameras, etc.

In good old USA the only thing holding up UHD transmission is willingness to spend the money. Cable most likely requires replacing current coaxial cable with optical cable to supply 4K linear signal over the cable.

Actually; I have been happy with using the 2D to 3D conversion option on Samsung UHD 3D TV to watch HD cable broadcasts on Comcast. It works best for outdoor programs. I have just recently used it for Tour de France on NBCSn channel.

Silver Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

We could be watching UHD (4) over the air in Japan. They will be showing Olympics in Reo to their audience in 4K, and in 8K in four years. Nipon manfactures OTA transmiting equipment, cameras, etc.

In good old USA the only thing holding up UHD transmission is willingness to spend the money. Cable most likely requires replacing current coaxial cable with optical cable to supply 4K linear signal over the cable.

Actually; I have been happy with using the 2D to 3D conversion option on Samsung UHD 3D TV to watch HD cable broadcasts on Comcast. It works best for outdoor programs. I have just recently used it for Tour de France on NBCSn channel.

You are probably part of the 1/10 of 1% who have a "Samsung UHD 3D TV" that are subscribed to X1.

It appears to me Comcast is making a business decision based on market penetration.

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

In the case of LG, the TV models included in the UHD Sampler App promo are models that they are trying to stimulate more sales.

My 9500 OLED was a highly desirable model (sold very well) and did not need any sales help therefore it was (unfortunately for me) not included in the sampler promo.

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

You are probably part of the 1/10 of 1% who have a "Samsung UHD 3D TV" that are subscribed to X1.

It appears to me Comcast is making a business decision based on market penetration.

Expert

I was looking at that model and settled on the Samsung TV.

The app is not one of the apps featured on my TV either. Did you do the search for the app on your TV?

Expert

Did you read my post labelled "Ultra HD Sampler"

It explains how the locate the App. This the the title of the app and must be typed correctly.

Gold Problem Solver

Of course I searched for the app. I had to set up an account at the LG "store" before I had access to the app. I was able to install the app but it would not run because the app itself determined my TV was not eligible.

I knew in advance that my TV was not on the list of eligible sets but similar models are on the list so I tried it anyways.

@MNtundraRET wrote:

I was looking at that model and settled on the Samsung TV.

The app is not one of the apps featured on my TV either. Did you do the search for the app on your TV?

Expert

You did what I would do. If an app is not compatible, you just dump it from memory.

"No pain, no gain!"

I think there are just a handful of us  using and testing the app. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K UHD

There are no plans for any 4k dvrs. They say that they are working on it but don't get your hopes up. OTA (over the air) is a better bet. Call your cable provider or local ota provider.
Valued Contributor

Notre Dame Football in 4K

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/notre-dame-football-gets-4k-coverage-from-directv/279424

Now DirecTV and NBC will be broadcasting several Notre Dame Football games in 4K on their dedicated live 4K channel.  Once again, I will ask when Comcast will provide their loyal customers with some sort of 4K programming that is not on the very unstable app (that doesn't even work for me)????

It started with the Olympics and now it's Football Season....Comcast continues to fall further and further behind other providers when it comes to 4K.

Problem Solver

Re: Notre Dame Football in 4K

While Directv has the most 4K content, you should check out their forum complaints. It is not very stable and dosen't always work either.  You have to have either their Premier or Ultimate package, the Genie HR54 DVR and the C61 4K mini or a Directv RVU TV. The 4K mini on the 4K TV, the HR54 can't pass the 4K signal itself. There seem to be alot of frustration at times to get their 4K system to work. Until there is alot more content, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle yet.

Gold Problem Solver

Netflix 4K is working just fine on both my LG OLED and my Roku 4. I will spend my money and time where it most benefits me...

I am EXTREMELY disappointed where Comcast is at with 4K and HDR but I can't fix it or change it so I will look beyond their current position.

As I write this, I am watching The Blacklist season 3 in 4K on Netflix using my Roku 4. It looks good. It sounds good. Comcast please catch up...pleeaase.

Valued Contributor

@dwitham wrote:

While Directv has the most 4K content, you should check out their forum complaints. It is not very stable and dosen't always work either.  You have to have either their Premier or Ultimate package, the Genie HR54 DVR and the C61 4K mini or a Directv RVU TV. The 4K mini on the 4K TV, the HR54 can't pass the 4K signal itself. There seem to be alot of frustration at times to get their 4K system to work. Until there is alot more content, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle yet.

we have DirecTv at our lake house and the 4K works just fine, we have never had a problem with it since we upgraded to the 4K receiver about 6 months ago.  It is vastly superior to anything that Comcast offers at this point.

Gold Problem Solver

Interesting information.

I know much has been said in this forum about the 4K UHD Sampler app but the fact remains that the app is EXTREMELY unstable and lacks content.

Netflix appears to be well in the lead at this point. Hulu doesn't offer 4k. Amazon and Vudu charge a premium for 4K content which I won't pay.

For those video purists that want the very best picture, the Kaleidescape Strato has the very best picture quality I have ever seen but they may be out of business...

I will be buying a 4K Blu-ray as soon as there is a better choice than the Samsung 8500.

@dwitham wrote:

Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K UHD

Waiting....
Problem Solver

That is good to know. With all the problems reported on the forum I was worndering if it is worth the switch. I'm thinking about moving back to Directv in eight months when my Comcast contract is up. Hopefully Directv might have a new 4K DVR out by then.