Community Forum

4K UHD

Contributor

Re: 4K Tv

Can I get on the list to trial the new comcast 4k uhd box?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K Tv

My understading is that Comcast employees do the trials before they are released to the public.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

4K service

When will you have 4K service in Livermore Ca 94550?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K service


@rickbearden1 wrote:

When will you have 4K service in Livermore Ca 94550?


There isn't 4K service anywhere and no announcements have been made yet. The only way to check out any 4K content from Comcast  is with a Samsung Sampler app found on a handful of Samsung 2014 models and all 2015 models of 4K TVs.


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K service

And that 4K service is Internet streaming, not a regular cable channel.

New Poster

xi4 4k Set top box available

Are the comcast 4kHD set top boxes available yet? They are called Xi4

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xi4 4k Set top box available

No.  No ETA.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: xi4 4k Set top box available


@7401hastings wrote:

Are the comcast 4kHD set top boxes available yet? They are called Xi4


One of many threads asking the same question, 

 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/4K-UHD/td-p/2595304

 

Nothing has has been announced yet


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

4K Ultra HD

When will we be able to have a 4K Ultra HD capable box? The TV manufacturing companies are ahead of the communications companies. Waiting for the Xi4 box from Comcast- what's the latest?
New Poster

When is Comcast coming out with a 4k hd box?

When is Comcast going to come out with a 4k HD box ?

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: When is Comcast coming out with a 4k hd box?


@DRIGGS713 wrote:

When is Comcast going to come out with a 4k HD box ?

 


One of many threads asking the same question,

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/4K-UHD/td-p/2595304

Nothing has has been announced yet


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: When is Comcast coming out with a 4k hd box?

Whaaaaast's taaaaaakiiiing sooooooo looooong!!!!
New Poster

Re: When is Comcast coming out with a 4k hd box?

I've been told "this year" by support. I swear if i don't have an xi4 by january 1st, i'm switching to directv. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: When is Comcast coming out with a 4k hd box?

Funny...


@hookedonhouse wrote:

I've been told "this year" by support. I swear if i don't have an xi4 by january 1st, i'm switching to directv. 


 

Regular Visitor

X1 4K uhd box upgrade

When will the 4k uhd X1 set top box be available in Philly?

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 4K uhd box upgrade

If there is a constant to the X1 forum, it is that very people do any research or reading in this forum before they post.

Here are two recent threads on the 4K question currently on the front page of this forum. Your answer is contained within:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/4K-UHD/td-p/2595304

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Comcast-say-the-Xi4-is-out/td-p/2650493


@EdCallahan wrote:

When will the 4k uhd X1 set top box be available in Philly?

 





Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 4K uhd box upgrade

There are other 4k threads asking the same quetion.  You should try the search function before asking a question.

 

There is no ETA for 4K X1 boxes.  There must be a lot of interest in 4K TV's.  There has to be 4K content before a 4K TV can display it.

 

Just because Comcast releases a 4K STB doesn't necessarily mean the networks will suddenly start providing 4K content to Comcast and OTA.

 

A 4K TV can upconvert the 1080P and 720P Comcast content and it will be better than plain 1080P.

 

We don't really need a 4K STB, AFAICT.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

Re: X1 4K uhd box upgrade


@RobertWy wrote:

There are other 4k threads asking the same quetion.  You should try the search function before asking a question.

 

There is no ETA for 4K X1 boxes.  There must be a lot of interest in 4K TV's.  There has to be 4K content before a 4K TV can display it.

 

Just because Comcast releases a 4K STB doesn't necessarily mean the networks will suddenly start providing 4K content to Comcast and OTA.

 

A 4K TV can upconvert the 1080P and 720P Comcast content and it will be better than plain 1080P.

 

We don't really need a 4K STB, AFAICT.


A STB that would output a 4K signal would be an upgrade to what is available now.  Letting a 4K TV "upconvert" a 1080p signal provides a very nice picture although it is not as good as inputting a 4K signal into the TV, with no "upconverting" necessary.

 

I have had a 4K TV for over a year now, and also have just upgraded to a newer, higher end model of a 4K TV.  There is virtually nothing available that will output a 4K signal, other than streaming from an app such as Amazon or Netflix or the very poor Comcast app on select Samsung models.

 

As with the beginning of HD, 15 years or so ago, not all content was produced in HD.  Comcast and the other providers still came out with STB that would output an HD picture by "upconverting" the SD picture.  It took a while for content to be shot in HD.  I would welcome a STB that would do the same for UHD.

 

With more and more people buying 4K TV's now, it is time for the service providers to supply us with equipment that will allow us to use the 4K TV's up to their capabilities.  That being to display a 4K picture, not just an upconverted one.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 4K uhd box upgrade

4K UHD TV sets make ANY content look better...not just when when playing 4K content.

Good points here. Thanks for posting this.


@jwmccnn wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

There are other 4k threads asking the same quetion.  You should try the search function before asking a question.

 

There is no ETA for 4K X1 boxes.  There must be a lot of interest in 4K TV's.  There has to be 4K content before a 4K TV can display it.

 

Just because Comcast releases a 4K STB doesn't necessarily mean the networks will suddenly start providing 4K content to Comcast and OTA.

 

A 4K TV can upconvert the 1080P and 720P Comcast content and it will be better than plain 1080P.

 

We don't really need a 4K STB, AFAICT.


A STB that would output a 4K signal would be an upgrade to what is available now.  Letting a 4K TV "upconvert" a 1080p signal provides a very nice picture although it is not as good as inputting a 4K signal into the TV, with no "upconverting" necessary.

 

I have had a 4K TV for over a year now, and also have just upgraded to a newer, higher end model of a 4K TV.  There is virtually nothing available that will output a 4K signal, other than streaming from an app such as Amazon or Netflix or the very poor Comcast app on select Samsung models.

 

As with the beginning of HD, 15 years or so ago, not all content was produced in HD.  Comcast and the other providers still came out with STB that would output an HD picture by "upconverting" the SD picture.  It took a while for content to be shot in HD.  I would welcome a STB that would do the same for UHD.

 

With more and more people buying 4K TV's now, it is time for the service providers to supply us with equipment that will allow us to use the 4K TV's up to their capabilities.  That being to display a 4K picture, not just an upconverted one.


 

New Poster

4K tv info


X1 to debut Xfinity in UHD with hundreds of titles added including hit series from Starz, Syfy, USA and films originally shown in IMAX®, enabling customers to create 
unlimited virtual 4k linear channels with customized playlist feature.

announced that it will launch a 4K ultra high-definition (UHD) set-top box later this year as it brings the Xfinity in UHD catalog to the X1 platform. The new X1 set-top box, the Xi4, will deliver Xfinity TV customers 4K UHD content—four times the resolution of high-definition—directly to the television, enabling X1 customers to enjoy unlimited virtual 4K linear channels by creating personalized playlists from the Xfinity in UHD library. Customers will also enjoy high dynamic range (HDR) programming—increased color, contrast and brightness—with the launch of a new HDR set-top box, the Xi5, next year.

Tags (3)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K tv info

It is going to be maybe 5 years before I replace my beautiful 60" Samsung 3D LED with a 4k set.

 

I can wait. <g>

 

Oh, and it appears the Xi5 is an HDR-capable box.

 

http://www.cnet.com/news/comcast-to-offer-4k-set-top-box-this-year/

 

"The company also announced that in 2016 it would offer the Xi5, a set-top box capable of handlingHDR (High Dynamic Range) content, the first of which is due later this year from Netflix and Amazon. Where 4K is an improvement in resolution, HDR for home video -- not to be confused with HDR for photography -- addresses the difference between the brightest and darkest parts of the image, improving contrast. No HDR titles were named in the Comcast announcement."


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Is the XG1-A box uhd capable?

Can I receive 4K programming thru this box?

Problem Solver

Re: Is the XG1-A box uhd capable?

Unfortunately, no.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Is the XG1-A box uhd capable?


@Mrtcthomas wrote:

Can I receive 4K programming thru this box?


There are no boxes available yet that broadcast in 4K. 


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Is the XG1-A box uhd capable?


@Mrtcthomas wrote:

Can I receive 4K programming thru this box?


The only option right now is to let the TV do the upconverting.

 

My channel lineup includes some 720p source but my TV upconverts it to 1080p.

 

Before I got X1, my TV upconverted the OTA signals I got with my antenna.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

X1 Compatibility with 4K

I have a Samsung 4K TV connected to an X1 cable box (XG1-A). It was working fine, but I was looking at the resolution options in the Xfinity menu and I chose the highest to see if there would be a difference (1080p). Screen went black and now it says there is no HDMI connection and to check the source. 

 

The HDMI is fine (the TV is connected via receiver where everything runs through HDMI1 and these all work, so it is not the HDMI cord, plus it was working fine up until I made the switch). 

 

So, change it back you say. Were it so simple. Nothing will display on the screen. No Xfinity menus, nada. I can't get back to change it back via the on screen interface. 

 

I have tried unplugging, sending a reset signal, etc. Nothing works. 

 

Any suggestions much appreciated. 

Expert

Re: X1 Compatibility with 4K


@smeyler wrote:

I have a Samsung 4K TV connected to an X1 cable box (XG1-A). It was working fine, but I was looking at the resolution options in the Xfinity menu and I chose the highest to see if there would be a difference (1080p). Screen went black and now it says there is no HDMI connection and to check the source. 

 

The HDMI is fine (the TV is connected via receiver where everything runs through HDMI1 and these all work, so it is not the HDMI cord, plus it was working fine up until I made the switch). 

 

So, change it back you say. Were it so simple. Nothing will display on the screen. No Xfinity menus, nada. I can't get back to change it back via the on screen interface. 

 

I have tried unplugging, sending a reset signal, etc. Nothing works. 

 

Any suggestions much appreciated. 


on remote press exit exit exit 720

try 1080i

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Compatibility with 4K

With the TV and the DVR turned on enter with your remote -

 

exit exit exit 1080

 

IF that doesn't work, try -

 

exit exit exit 480

 

Then go into Settings and change it to 1080x60

 

Once you get back to a 1080 screen, leave it.

 

You will have to let your TV do the upconverting to 4k until Comcast has 4k boxes available.

 

Search this forum for 4k to read about it.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Compatibility with 4K

Robert and Rusty are correct. Try different resolutions to get the picture back.

However a 4K TV is fairly new so this should work on 1080P. Have you verified your Samsung TV has the latest firmware? Any chance your AV receiver is a Yamaha? Does it have the latest firmware? What happens if you plug the X1 box straight into the TV?

FYI when troubbleshooting electronics, just because your HDMI cable seemed fine in the past doesn't mean things are fine now... Conncections and cables can change...


@smeyler wrote:

I have a Samsung 4K TV connected to an X1 cable box (XG1-A). It was working fine, but I was looking at the resolution options in the Xfinity menu and I chose the highest to see if there would be a difference (1080p). Screen went black and now it says there is no HDMI connection and to check the source. 

 

The HDMI is fine (the TV is connected via receiver where everything runs through HDMI1 and these all work, so it is not the HDMI cord, plus it was working fine up until I made the switch). 

 

So, change it back you say. Were it so simple. Nothing will display on the screen. No Xfinity menus, nada. I can't get back to change it back via the on screen interface. 

 

I have tried unplugging, sending a reset signal, etc. Nothing works. 

 

Any suggestions much appreciated. 





Contributor

Re: X1 Compatibility with 4K

Comcast has no 4K content and the current DVR is not 4K capable.  I use the Smart Hub feature (ethernet connection to the modem) on my Samsung UHD TV to watch 4K videos from youtube.  Amazon Prime and Netflix have limted 4K movie offerings, but those require subscriptions.

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 Compatibility with 4K

On the Samsung support page there is an alert about fimware version 1430 and a problem viewing HDMI sources after your TV has updated to this version.  Check your firmware version and see if this is the issue.

New Poster

Re: X1 Compatibility with 4K

Update. Spoke to Comcast. They had no answer and set up a tech appointment. Then, I saw this posting. The exit exit exit 480 command did the trick. Would have been nice if Comcast had offered that up. 


Thanks for the tips. 

New Poster

4K TV Content

Comcast/Xfinity, would you please explain when or if you will actually have 4K content available to all 4K TV brands. models?   There's plenty of web news articles, but nothing on your website that I could gather.   I'm sure your user community would love to hear about this.  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

4k broadcast

when will xfinity start bradcasting 4k shows?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4k broadcast

No announcements have been made. Comcast hasn't said.

We don't know.
Expert

Re: 4k broadcast


@trevt wrote:

when will xfinity start bradcasting 4k shows?


some content in 4k is available to a limited set of samsung tv model numbers via an app on the TV.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K tv info

Is the xi4 available now?
Expert

Re: 4K tv info


@trevt wrote:
Is the xi4 available now?

No 4K boxes are availble at this time.


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: 4K tv info

When will the 4K boxes be available? Comcast said end of 2015....
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K tv info


@rogerposey wrote:
When will the 4K boxes be available? Comcast said end of 2015....

Still to be determined


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: 4K tv info

It almost seems like this topic should be pinned.  I come here all the time to JUST look for 4k updates.

Regular Visitor

4K set top boxes

Any information on when the new 4K set top boxes (Xi4, Xi5, Xi6) will be released?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K set top boxes


@redtail1_1 wrote:

Any information on when the new 4K set top boxes (Xi4, Xi5, Xi6) will be released?


No, date is still to be determined.


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: 4K set top boxes

So still no date? It's been over a year since they first talked about Xi4 and Xi5, and the once mentioned Xi6. What's the hold up? Last year Comcast claimed they were ready to support UHDTV immediately, they were just waiting to "flip the switch". Why wait longer? Why not grab the market while it's still waiting to be taken? If Netflix can offer UHD there is no reason Comcast can't handle at least limited on demand options, whether they be free or pay services. Really getting sick of hearing the typical responses of "it's coming" and "no date has been announced". Over $250 a month to this company and they continuously disappoint
New Poster

Re: 4K set top boxes

Is there at least a signup list we can have our names added to and be notified when the new boxes are available ?  I'm getting tired of having to search the web trying to find out when the boxes will be available. I, like many, are growing tired of hearing about Comcast releasing a 4K box only to be disappointed.  I love Comcast but at the price I pay, the competetitors are looking attractive. I've been a loyal customer for many years and I'm afraid my loyalty is starting slip away. Please Comcast, start listening to your customers or like me, they may start considering switching to a cheaper competetior. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K set top boxes

Comcast has never provided a "signup list" for anything, that I am aware of.  But there is no way for me to know what goes on in backchannels.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: 4K set top boxes


@MarcH2 wrote:

Is there at least a signup list we can have our names added to and be notified when the new boxes are available ?  I'm getting tired of having to search the web trying to find out when the boxes will be available. I, like many, are growing tired of hearing about Comcast releasing a 4K box only to be disappointed.  I love Comcast but at the price I pay, the competetitors are looking attractive. I've been a loyal customer for many years and I'm afraid my loyalty is starting slip away. Please Comcast, start listening to your customers or like me, they may start considering switching to a cheaper competetior. 


The first you'll probably hear of them is when you see them advertised on TV. 

Frequent Visitor

UHD Broadcasting and Xfinity uhd box to receive it.

Is there any news on the release date for the UHD cable box from Comcast?  It didn't make it by December 2015 as announced.

 

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

Re: UHD Broadcasting and Xfinity uhd box to receive it.


Nothing official has been announced. There is no additional information. My guess is later in the year.
New Poster

Smart 4K Ultra HD TV,s

Does Comcast broad cast in 4K