Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

4K TV, Xfinity sports watching (NESN, NBC Sports) Terrible picture, Any solutions?

New Poster

4K TV, Xfinity sports watching (NESN, NBC Sports) Terrible picture, Any solutions?

I have been wanting a new TV for years, finally convinced the wife to get one. Purchased a Samsung 4k QLED TV. Looks amazing. Netflix streams through either TV or xbox and it looks amazing, most normal HD channels and kids channels look amazing. Ths issue is however, sports, (the main reason why I purchased a new TV.) I purchased it to watch the rest of the Stanely Cup Playoffs on, but the picture is terrible! When the players on moving around, it is blurry, complete garbage, pretty much looking like SD or maybe 480. I went over to an NBA playoff game and the same thing happened. When they are zoomed in on a player and they are just standing around, they look great. 

I spoke with Samsung and they do not believe it is the TV. I don't think it is either as everything else besides sports through Xfinity look amazing. I have played with the settings, made sure I purchased the approrpiate HDMI cords, nothing seems to get the picture better.  

Is there anything I can do to get this picture to be clear? I plugged my old TV back in, (10 year old 720p Samsung) and the games looked so much better on that TV! That shouldn't be right, right?

Any insights, or tips would be helpful. I can't be the only one who has had this problem. Any solutions?

Expert

Re: 4K TV, Xfinity sports watching (NESN, NBC Sports) Terrible picture, Any solutions?

Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K TV, Xfinity sports watching (NESN, NBC Sports) Terrible picture, Any solutions?

If you have a non 4K box then i'd change the video output to 720p and let your tv upscale it to 4K.

Problem Solver

@mikeq115 wrote:

I have been wanting a new TV for years, finally convinced the wife to get one. Purchased a Samsung 4k QLED TV. Looks amazing. Netflix streams through either TV or xbox and it looks amazing, most normal HD channels and kids channels look amazing. Ths issue is however, sports, (the main reason why I purchased a new TV.) I purchased it to watch the rest of the Stanely Cup Playoffs on, but the picture is terrible! When the players on moving around, it is blurry, complete garbage, pretty much looking like SD or maybe 480. I went over to an NBA playoff game and the same thing happened. When they are zoomed in on a player and they are just standing around, they look great. 

I spoke with Samsung and they do not believe it is the TV. I don't think it is either as everything else besides sports through Xfinity look amazing. I have played with the settings, made sure I purchased the approrpiate HDMI cords, nothing seems to get the picture better.  

Is there anything I can do to get this picture to be clear? I plugged my old TV back in, (10 year old 720p Samsung) and the games looked so much better on that TV! That shouldn't be right, right?

Any insights, or tips would be helpful. I can't be the only one who has had this problem. Any solutions?

You are seeing what happens using Comcast X1 boxes.

Use the "You Tube" app found on your television. Check the 4K menu, or search for: 4K, UHD, HDR, etc. There is a small 4K symbol at the end of the title that shows up if you are getting 4K delivered to your television. If you only see HD symbol, click on Options below buffer line. Then click 4K found to right of options. The list will show resolutuion being downloaded. If anything less than 2160p, click there. 1440p is "2K" and 50% of population might not notice difference between it and "4K".

This way you will know what 4K signal should look like on your television, and that the problem is with current Comcast equipment for messing up up-scaling (720p to 4K).

Problem Solver

Your television was more than likely delivered in "standard" video mode. For sports you would be better off in Dynamic or Vivid (depends on brand) for sports or outdoors type programing.

Also; after changing go down the menu and click to save to "source".

Contributor

The issue is Comcast's horrible MPEG-4 compression. The other posters in thread are posting false information. The solution is to switch to DirecTV or another TV provider like FiOS, if available, that doesn't over-compress their TV. This is NOT an equipment issue, it is NOT a settings issue, it is a Comcast issue.

Expert

@BiggAJW wrote:

The issue is Comcast's horrible MPEG-4 compression. The other posters in thread are posting false information. The solution is to switch to DirecTV or another TV provider like FiOS, if available, that doesn't over-compress their TV. This is NOT an equipment issue, it is NOT a settings issue, it is a Comcast issue.

mpeg4 is not causing any 'compression' issues in fact, it is the opposite. mpeg4 is more than double more efficient with no loss over mpeg2 (that is the speciffication requirement). note that the original stream is in mpeg'5'(g) nickname but proper name HEVC (high efficiency video coding and is actually 1/2 or less of the mpeg4 stream that is passed on via stream or by linear channels. 

also try not to crosspost same information on many current threads.

Contributor

I'm posting relevant information where it is relevant.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Yes, MPEG-4 is twice as efficient as MPEG-2. That's a true fact, irrelevant, misleading, and dishonest to post without more context.

It is not the MPEG-4 codec, but rather Comcast's implemention of bit-starved MPEG-4 that is the problem here. If you take MPEG-2 and starve it down to 7-8mbps, then it's can be <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> Comcast's MPEG-4 at 3.8mbps.

Most of the master C-band feeds today are MPEG-4/H.264, but again, irrelevant, as they are at a MUCH higher bitrate than what Comcast is providing.

Contributor

Changing wiring, changing settings, etc, is NOT going to fix Comcast's atrocious video quality. This is a nationwide Comcast problem, and a decision that Comcast made that they simply don't care about video qualtiy. If you want more than a blurry, flat, SD-quality picture, then switch to another provider. It's that simple.

Regular Contributor

@BiggAJW wrote:

Changing wiring, changing settings, etc, is NOT going to fix Comcast's atrocious video quality. This is a nationwide Comcast problem, and a decision that Comcast made that they simply don't care about video qualtiy. If you want more than a blurry, flat, SD-quality picture, then switch to another provider. It's that simple.

Ask the expert how many 4K TVs he has. Should probably have one before answering.

Contributor

I can tell how bad Comcast's video quality is on a 1080p TV, but it's definitely a lot more obvious on a 4k TV. My 65" Samsung 4k TV looks AMAZING with all sorts of content, except Comcast MPEG-4, where it is a train wreck. The bigger the screen, the more pixels it has, and the closer you are to it, the more you notice how blurry, soft, and flat looking Comcast's images are. They've managed to process out almost all of the compression artifacts, but they can't make up for the lack of bitrate unless they give it more bitrate or use stat muxing.