Community Forum

2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics with Xfinity

Administrator

Re: Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 on Xfinity X1

@MackGuyver,

If you're an Xfinity X1 customer, you can now experience Dolby ATMOS audio with your Xfinity TV service.

To find TV shows and movies that support Dolby ATMOS on X1, use the Search field within the on-screen guide, or simply say "Dolby Atmos" using your X1 Voice Remote from Xfinity. If the program does not have the Dolby ATMOS indicator this feature will not work.

Once you have connected your Dolby ATMOS compatible stereo system to your X1 TV Box via an HDMI cable, visit Settings > Device Settings > Audio > HDMI Audio Output and select Expert Mode.
You can opt to auto-detect stereo equipment under the HDMI audio output menu.

To determine if your equipment is Dolby ATMOS compatible, reference the manufacturer's manual and look for this logo:
Dolby ATMOS logo

**NOTE**: As of now, Dolby ATMOS is available on all Xfinity X1 equipment except Pace Intel XG1v1 devices.

For more information about setting up speakers in your home, please visit the Dolby ATMOS website.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

wrote:

To find TV shows and movies that support Dolby ATMOS on X1, use the Search field within the on-screen guide, or simply say "Dolby Atmos" using your X1 Voice Remote from Xfinity.

This search reveals exactly two Atmos "programs". Both are just short demos. There are no Atmos tv shows or movies...  One is the "Leaf demo", the other is the "Animated short". My AVR reports the XG1v4 is outputting standard 5.1 DD, not Atmos, when playing these two "programs".

I have these EXACT same clips (and others) on my HTPC. Playing them from the HTPC, the AVR reports Atmos is being sent.

I also have a 4k UHD Bluray player, have played dozens of UHD movie discs. Again, the AVR reports Atmos is being sent.

Something is defintely wrong with the XG1v4 audio out and/or the two provided Atoms demos.

New Poster

Re: How do i watch the olympics without downloading HD

Same for me. Each time we try to watch the olympics, any of the icons for each sport or other apps in the olympics section, it says you must upgrade to HD. The only way available is just through NBC and that is only the opening ceremony. Please explain. Is there another way?

Expert

wrote:

wrote:

To find TV shows and movies that support Dolby ATMOS on X1, use the Search field within the on-screen guide, or simply say "Dolby Atmos" using your X1 Voice Remote from Xfinity.

This search reveals exactly two Atmos "programs". Both are just short demos. There are no Atmos tv shows or movies...  One is the "Leaf demo", the other is the "Animated short". My AVR reports the XG1v4 is outputting standard 5.1 DD, not Atmos, when playing these two "programs".

I have these EXACT same clips (and others) on my HTPC. Playing them from the HTPC, the AVR reports Atmos is being sent.

I also have a 4k UHD Bluray player, have played dozens of UHD movie discs. Again, the AVR reports Atmos is being sent.

Something is defintely wrong with the XG1v4 audio out and/or the two provided Atoms demos.

how is your audio connected to the X1 set top box?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Ben,

We are all connected via HDMI as that's the only option with the XG1v4, and I have yet to find a single person here or on other forums like AVSForum that has been able to get Atmos to work.  Either the Atmos Leaf trailer OnDemand is missing the Atmos track, or something isn't enabled on the box.  I think it's the latter as there is no Dolby Digital Plus being output, either. I guess we'll have to wait until 8pm ET tomorrow to try the Olympics broadcast to see if it works.

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Happy to report, I'm getting Atmos and HDR from the XG1v4 on 4k Olympics!

The two mentioned Atmos demos (Leaf & Animated) are still only 5.1 DD. So it's just an issue that those two demos are claiming to be Atmos, when they are NOT.

Expert

Atmos is just another 'text coded string' stream similar to closed captioning. From my understanding if there is any tslink involved the atmos signal won't be there (outdated tech). The Atmos has to be delivered to the AVR by hdcp 2.2 compatible ports and devices. is the device plugged into the TV or the receiver/amp?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

That's great to hear - I tried to find the 4K Olympics earlier this evening and couldn't.  I'll have to try again.

Expert

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Happy to report, I'm getting Atmos and HDR from the XG1v4 on 4k Olympics!

The two mentioned Atmos demos (Leaf & Animated) are still only 5.1 DD. So it's just an issue that those two demos are claiming to be Atmos, when they are NOT.

It is nice to hear that the Comcast 4K DVR and their 4K setup will work when properly connected with correct High-speed HDMI 4K compliant cable. Maybe things will go better this time for Comcast's try at 4K television for Winter Olympics. Only a handfull of us saw 4K / HDR for Rio Olympics on the "Ultra HD Sampler" app.

Frequent Visitor

I don't have Atmos or want it so I can't comment on Atmos problems. Happy with 7.2

That said, I am commenting on the 4k audio side. Watching 4k Olympics now and the audio keeps cutting out. I found that by going into settings and changing the audio from Expert Mode to Auto Detect cures the cutout problem. When doing this, you will lose your Dolby Digital +, but no more sound cutting out.

I think Comcast don't have all the bugs ironed out yet, still having growing pains. This is probably why some users are having trouble with Atmos. I remember when HD first came out and all the troubles I had and over time, they got them straightened out.  

Expert

wrote:

I don't have Atmos or want it so I can't comment on Atmos problems. Happy with 7.2

That said, I am commenting on the 4k audio side. Watching 4k Olympics now and the audio keeps cutting out. I found that by going into settings and changing the audio from Expert Mode to Auto Detect cures the cutout problem. When doing this, you will lose your Dolby Digital +, but no more sound cutting out.

I think Comcast don't have all the bugs ironed out yet, still having growing pains. This is probably why some users are having trouble with Atmos. I remember when HD first came out and all the troubles I had and over time, they got them straightened out.  

atmos is not 'really' an audio stream. it is a text data stream embedded into the mpeg4 container that is not unlike closed captions. it gives directions to the audio receiver on the 3D routing of audio signals in real time for effects.

Regular Contributor

Atmos is working on the XG1v4. Seems the mass confusion was due to the fact that the two programs that come up in a search for Atmos are actually only 5.1 DD. Once the on-demand Olympics 4k was released, Atmos was confirmed working.

I also have the same micro audio dropouts when watching the on-demand Olympics 4k with Expert mode (Atmos on my AVR). These dropouts seem to be common when using DD+ (Atmos) on a variety of streaming devices like Firetv, Roku, xbox, etc. I'm gonna try a different HDMI cable but don't have much faith that will help. As mentioned the common fix is to set audio to plain DD (which means no Atmos).

EDIT: I just tried switching audio from "detected" (DD5.1) to "expert" (DD+/Atmos) watching 4k opening ceremony and the micro audio dropouts continue.

Frequent Visitor

I had a tough time finding the Olympics in 4K as saying "Olympics in 4K" or "Olympics 4K" takes you to the Olympic channel.  Saying "4K" did the trick.  I have 4K, HDR10, with Atmos, but have the constant little audio dropouts as well.  Hopefully they'll fix that over the coming days.  The picture has a lot of compression artifacts, but the HDR looks phenomenal!

The fact that the Dolby Atmos Leaf trailer doesn't have Atmos is something Comcast really needs to fix as lots and lots of us have gotten very confused by that considering that Comcast says to use it to verify your settings work.

New Poster

Good to see I'm not alone on the audio cut out issues. I've been scratching my head about that one. I even bought a new "4K ready" HDMI cable to make sure that wasn't the problem. As others said switching expert mode back to auto helps greatly (I don't have Atmos). Minus the small audio issues, I have to say the visual quality is fantastic. The opening ceremony looked stunning.

Contributor

I have a vizio 2015 p series tv and the 4k looks cloudy. I wondering does the 4k on demand feed support older 8 bit non hdr 4k video
Regular Contributor

No problems on my Sony xbr65z9d with 4k video being washed out, and no signs of compression artifacts. Also, I switched audio back to expert (Atmos) and the micro audio dropouts are gone. Watched so far:

-2 part figure skating

-2 part opening ceremony

-2 part short track

For those without an HDR tv/projector, have you tried switching to 2160p30 ?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, the audio issues seem to be resolved and the HDR is a revelation.  Switching back to the dull, dim SDR broadcasts is just sad after watching the 4K HDR.  The Atmos in the Short Track was great with applause and announcements very 3D in nature. The absence of commercials makes it even better!

Expert

wrote:

Yes, the audio issues seem to be resolved and the HDR is a revelation.  Switching back to the dull, dim SDR broadcasts is just sad after watching the 4K HDR.  The Atmos in the Short Track was great with applause and announcements very 3D in nature. The absence of commercials makes it even better!

You pointed out the one big problem with delivering good 4K. They have yet to figure out how to mix 4k with HD or worse for inserting commercials. Mixing resolution bombs the streaming video and possibly the digital audio stream.

Last year CBS did an excellent job delivering UHD (4K) live streaming of Amen Corners (about 4 holes) at the Masters. It was at a large cost to them since they were unable to insert any commercials for the 4 days of viewing. Plus no capability of intermixing any shots using the 1080i cameras. The CBS network carried the regular broadcast at the same time.

I watched both with my Sony Bravia 1080p 40 inch side by side with my Samsung 3D UHD Curved 65 inch at the same time.

Official Employee

Hi DaisyGrace07, are you trying to watch from your cable box and TV or are you trying to stream the content online? I show that the Olympics can be found on channel #5 on NBC in your area. 

Valued Contributor

Good afternoon.  The audio issues have been worked through and should be corrected in the On Demand assets being posted moving forward.  The existing assets will be corrected soon.  Enjoy!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

The user is correct - all of the xfinity programming and ondemand, advertisements, etc. say "you must subscribe to HD for this content."  That is either a bug - sending users to hd content that they do not have or a gimmic to get people to upgrade which would be a terrible business practice.  this is a major fail for those of us without HD trying to watch olympics programing.

Official Employee

sonicthoughts2 wrote: The user is correct - all of the xfinity programming and ondemand, advertisements, etc. say "you must subscribe to HD for this content."  That is either a bug - sending users to hd content that they do not have or a gimmic to get people to upgrade which would be a terrible business practice.  this is a major fail for those of us without HD trying to watch olympics programing.

Are you watching online or on your cable box? 

Contributor

So if my Denon receiver switches from DD to DD+ that means I am getting ATMOS?  When watching ATMOS on other sources it displays something different but perhaps the box causes this...

Frequent Visitor

@ Yes, that's correct.  With streaming/web sources, Atmos is transmitted inside DD+ instead of TrueHD.  You might still need to select Atmos processing on the receiver, though.

Contributor

@MackGuyver when I have watched ATMOS movies through say my Nvidia Shield it shows as TrueHD in my Denon which is why the whole DD+ thing threw me off. Thanks!
Regular Visitor

Re: 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics with Xfinity

Not sure if others are seeing this...all 4k on-demand pictures look washed out. It does play in UHD with faded pictures.

Frequent Visitor

@

Contributor

@rsrivast wrote:

Not sure if others are seeing this...all 4k on-demand pictures look washed out. It does play in UHD with faded pictures.

If you have a 4K TV that does not process HDR or display HDR, then you will have washed out colors.  I have an older 4K vizio p-series that does not do HDR and I get washed out colors also.  My Xg1v4 recognize my tv as 4K SDR.  I don't think comcast has a 4k stream to display 4K in SDR with 8 bit color.

Contributor

Xfinity Future 4K Content

I see now to view the Olympics on Demand videos in 4K, you must have a tv that can process and display HDR.  Will all Xfinity 4K videos in the future require you to have a HDR TV to view them correctly (no wash out) or will Xfinity offer 4K videos without HDR like Netflix?

Regular Contributor

@4fclubmf wrote:

@rsrivast wrote:

If you have a 4K TV that does not process HDR or display HDR, then you will have washed out colors.  I have an older 4K vizio p-series that does not do HDR and I get washed out colors also.  My Xg1v4 recognize my tv as 4K SDR.  I don't think comcast has a 4k stream to display 4K in SDR with 8 bit color.

Have you tried setting video output of the XG1V4 to 2160p30 ?

Valued Contributor

@clfnolewrote:

So if my Denon receiver switches from DD to DD+ that means I am getting ATMOS?  When watching ATMOS on other sources it displays something different but perhaps the box causes this...

No, this is not correct.  Make sure your receiver is set to "Auto" when you're on the cable input.  While Atmos is carried over DD+, your AVR will show Atmos, not DD+ when playing Atmos content.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

Hi everyone.  I'm just reading though some recent posts.  Sorry, but the Leaf trailer was not encoded properly so it was actually NOT in Atmos, only DD+.  The team has removed all Dolby test clips from On Demand now that the Olympics have started.  The only Atmos content available now is the 4k content (which is ALL in Atmos) through an XG1v4 box.  We're hopeful that more Dolby trailers (Like Amaze, Leaf, etc) will make it back to VOD soon.  In the meantime, how can I help with questions about Atmos out of your cable boxes?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

@ some AVRs will default to DD+ decoding mode and have to be manually put into Atmos decoding.  You can then verify that you're getting Atmos via the info screen/display in the AVR.

Valued Contributor

@MackGuyverwrote:

some AVRs will default to DD+ decoding mode and have to be manually put into Atmos decoding.  You can then verify that you're getting Atmos via the info screen/display in the AVR.

Incorrect.  When any Atmos capable AVR is set to "Auto" mode, it will show Atmos, regardless of container type (IE DD+/TrueHD).  If you're doing some sort of "processing" by setting sound modes to "Dolby Surround Mode" or some other post processing mode THEN you'll run the risk of not hearing the Atmos immersive mix.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

@enrobertswrote:

@MackGuyverwrote:

some AVRs will default to DD+ decoding mode and have to be manually put into Atmos decoding.  You can then verify that you're getting Atmos via the info screen/display in the AVR.

Incorrect.  When any Atmos capable AVR is set to "Auto" mode, it will show Atmos, regardless of container type (IE DD+/TrueHD).  If you're doing some sort of "processing" by setting sound modes to "Dolby Surround Mode" or some other post processing mode THEN you'll run the risk of not hearing the Atmos immersive mix.

Another common issue is that people have "Atmos enabled or capable" AVR's but don't have height speakers connected to the AVR (or have not gone through the setup to tell the AVR there are heights connected).  If the AVR doesn't know there are heights in the room it will not show more than DD+.  And from a Comcast X1 box, this will be DD+ 5.1.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

@ we will have to disagree on this one.  I have a Marantz AV7703 preamp that did not automatically go into Atmos processing with a DD+ broadcast containing Atmos (it does now that I have set that preference, but didn't by default).  I have seen this on an Onkyo AVR as well.  I understand the concern about people using the Dolby Surround upmixer and not getting Atmos, but that's why I said to use the Info feature to confirm that the incoming signal is Atmos, which all Atmos devices will report.  Many AVRs/preamps also have speaker icons on the front and if they are set to input (instead of output, which is usually the default) it will correctly blank out when an Atmos signal is received.

Per your other note, I'm glad to hear that the Atmos Trailers are being corrected as that has caused much confusion Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@MackGuyverwrote:

we will have to disagree on this one.  I have a Marantz AV7703 preamp that did not automatically go into Atmos processing with a DD+ broadcast containing Atmos (it does now that I have set that preference, but didn't by default).  I have seen this on an Onkyo AVR as well.  I understand the concern about people using the Dolby Surround upmixer and not getting Atmos, but that's why I said to use the Info feature to confirm that the incoming signal is Atmos, which all Atmos devices will report.  Many AVRs/preamps also have speaker icons on the front and if they are set to input (instead of output, which is usually the default) it will correctly blank out when an Atmos signal is received.

Per your other note, I'm glad to hear that the Atmos Trailers are being corrected as that has caused much confusion Smiley Happy

Let's go a step further then.  What did you do to get your Marantz to output Atmos rather than DD+ 5.1?  What preference are you setting?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I used the audio mode to cycle to "Atmos" processing, which was the next mode after "Dolby Digital+".  I was surprised that it didn't automatically kick into Atmos processing like my previous preamp, but as I said, I saw a friend's Onkyo AVR do this as well.  It's possible that the this could have been caused by those small glitches in the Opening Ceremony signal as it might not have picked up on the Atmos metadata if it was corrupted. 

Valued Contributor

@MackGuyverwrote:

I used the audio mode to cycle to "Atmos" processing, which was the next mode after "Dolby Digital+".  I was surprised that it didn't automatically kick into Atmos processing like my previous preamp, but as I said, I saw a friend's Onkyo AVR do this as well.  It's possible that the this could have been caused by those small glitches in the Opening Ceremony signal as it might not have picked up on the Atmos metadata if it was corrupted. 

Bingo.  That's exactly what I'm telling you here.  You have your AVR setup to process the audio with the setting you're currently in.  Unless you've got the input mode set to "Auto" your Marantz is adding effect into the mix.  In fact, you can only cycle through the "Atmos modes" when playing Atmos content! Page 146 of your AVR's manual talks about Auto mode and says, "In this mode, the type of digital signal input, such as Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD, DTS:X, DTS-ES, PCM (multi-channel) is detected, and the playback mode switches automatically to the corresponding mode."  Beyond that, page 149 has a table that indicates, "*5 - This can be selected when the input signal contains Dolby Atmos."; referring to being able to select an "Atmos processing mode" only when playing Atmos content.

To TRULY hear Atmos in the un-processed manner, the way NBC or any other content creator inteded it to be heard, you MUST be in Auto mode.  Some people like the way an AVR makes things sound by allowing it to add some effects to the EQ/post processing, but as a audiophile, I want to hear exactly what the content creator wants me to hear.  That said, OCCASIONALLY I'll pop my AVR into multi channel stereo when listening to some stereo music, but that's just when we're in the kitchen next to the family room and I want to fill the area with sound as much as possible.

Also, for what it's worth, the small, or as we call them micro drop outs you heard in the first few assets posted by Comcast for the Olympics had absolutly no effect on the Atmos metadata included in the DD+JOC stream.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I'll confess my ignorance on this one - the Marantz is a fairly recent acquisition and I wasn't aware of the "Auto" mode and that it could be selected by using the "Pure" button  on the remote.  That's not very intuitive IMHO, and should by one of the audio modes you cycle through.  Plus other manufacturers use "pure" to denote audio only stereo processing...  I agree that pure decoding/processing is best, and thank you for telling me about this!

On my friend's Onkyo, however, it was set to "Straight Decode" which is the Onkyo version of Auto and the AVR would either kick into Atmos after a few seconds or not at all.  It was an one of the first Atmos models, however.

As for the dropouts, that goes back to my movie theater days working with Dolby's Cinema processors, which would sometimes miss the data cue and default to the backup audio track.  Dolby's techs told me that this was intentional to avoid disrupting the presentation and manual intervention was required even if the audio signal was picked up by processor after the "miss".

Contributor

@tzr916 wrote:

@4fclubmf wrote:

@rsrivast wrote:

Have you tried setting video output of the XG1V4 to 2160p30 ?

Yes i have tried the 2160 p30 mode also.  Still got washed out colors.  My HDMI 5 is Hdmi 2.0 with hdcp 2.2 and xg1v4 recognized it has best possible picture of 2160p60.

Valued Contributor

@MackGuyverwrote:

Ok, I'll confess my ignorance on this one - the Marantz is a fairly recent acquisition and I wasn't aware of the "Auto" mode and that it could be selected by using the "Pure" button  on the remote.  That's not very intuitive IMHO, and should by one of the audio modes you cycle through.  Plus other manufacturers use "pure" to denote audio only stereo processing...  I agree that pure decoding/processing is best, and thank you for telling me about this!

On my friend's Onkyo, however, it was set to "Straight Decode" which is the Onkyo version of Auto and the AVR would either kick into Atmos after a few seconds or not at all.  It was an one of the first Atmos models, however.

As for the dropouts, that goes back to my movie theater days working with Dolby's Cinema processors, which would sometimes miss the data cue and default to the backup audio track.  Dolby's techs told me that this was intentional to avoid disrupting the presentation and manual intervention was required even if the audio signal was picked up by processor after the "miss".

I agree.  Marantz USED to have an "Auto" button but now you've got to cycle through the Pure button.  Annoying!  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Expert

Re: Xfinity Future 4K Content

@4fclubmf wrote:

I see now to view the Olympics on Demand videos in 4K, you must have a tv that can process and display HDR.  Will all Xfinity 4K videos in the future require you to have a HDR TV to view them correctly (no wash out) or will Xfinity offer 4K videos without HDR like Netflix?

hi, as you know the only 4k content offered by Comcast itself is the Olympics (Netfilx with proper account subscription has 4k also). I moved your post to this thread and you can read from page one. ask for more info after you read the thread (if needed).

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
New Poster

Not seeing 4K UHD olympic programming

My settings/device settings shows that the TV, XG1v4 box and something called gold star company Ltd. all support 4K UHD. I have a few episodes (I.e. Day five of figure skating) that play correctly in 4K UHD, but no new programming, no 4K UHD section in Olympics on demand, and no ways to watch option. I’ve restarted both my receiver and tv.

Official Employee

Re: Not seeing 4K UHD olympic programming

What happens when you say “4K” using voice commands?
New Poster

Thanks for your response Andrew.  Basically as I described originally.  I get the same set of programs as when I typed in a 4K UHD search, but no 4K UHD section in On Demand, No 4K UHD choice in Ways To Watch on the Olympic Life example and the choice to record in 4K UHD Is not offered.

Official Employee

That’s because it isn’t there. When you say or search 4K what you see listed is it. There’s no option to record because nothing is being broadcasted in 4K