Community Forum

1080p setting keeps reverting to 780 when box is turned back on

Regular Visitor

1080p setting keeps reverting to 780 when box is turned back on

Every time I turn my dvr on, I have to go back into the device settings and reset the output to 1080p. It keeps resetting to 720 overnight. I always accept the new settings. How can I lock the settings and have them saved permanently?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 1080p setting keeps reverting to 780 when box is turned back on

There is no 1080P being used. Try 1080i and see if that sticks.

Silver Problem Solver

If that doesn't work then maybe it's something specific to your hookup, describe it if you can, like what wires are going where.

Regular Visitor

It is an hdmi hookup to 65inch sharp hd smart tv. The dvr is new, because the old one would change the audio from surround to mono every night. Now, the audio stays correct and the video setting changes every night. FRUSTRATING!!!
Diamond Problem Solver

What's the model of the DVR?

Regular Visitor

X1, xg1p
Gold Problem Solver

For some reason, your X1 box is not properly detecting the EDID table from your TV. I doubt this will fix the problem but try a different HDMI cable and try a different HDMI input on your TV.

Wrgmag wrote:
X1, xg1p

Contributor

Same thing happens to my X1 companion box. Overnight it goes back to 720P even though 1080P is selected and the device lights turn off even though its on 3 of 3 setting. So every morning I have to push OK on 1080P even though it's selected and it will go to the correct resolution and then go to Display Light Settings hit OK and the lights come back on.

Silver Problem Solver

omendoza7 wrote:

Same thing happens to my X1 companion box. Overnight it goes back to 720P even though 1080P is selected and the device lights turn off even though its on 3 of 3 setting. So every morning I have to push OK on 1080P even though it's selected and it will go to the correct resolution and then go to Display Light Settings hit OK and the lights come back on.

This also sounds like an EDID issue.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

This is a comcast problem, not a connection or any of the other suggestions!!!!  I replaced last box because it would turn off the surround sound every day but the screen output was always the same 1080p.  I remove the old box and immediately hooked up the new box exactly the same way, using the same cables!!  Now the sound stays locked on surround and the screen output goes back to 720 everyday.  Does anyone out there, with some knowledge of the Xfinity X1 box, know how to get the settings to stay locked until I change them??????????????????????????????? Otherwise I need to return box again.  Don't post unless you know what you are talking about!!!!!!!

Gold Problem Solver

There is an update coming (2.0 firmware) that hopefully will address this. Some people are having similar problems with Samsung and Vizio TVs.

It is highly unlikely swapping the box will fix this.

Wrgmag wrote:

This is a comcast problem, not a connection or any of the other suggestions!!!!  I replaced last box because it would turn off the surround sound every day but the screen output was always the same 1080p.  I remove the old box and immediately hooked up the new box exactly the same way, using the same cables!!  Now the sound stays locked on surround and the screen output goes back to 720 everyday.  Does anyone out there, with some knowledge of the Xfinity X1 box, know how to get the settings to stay locked until I change them??????????????????????????????? Otherwise I need to return box again.  Don't post unless you know what you are talking about!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Thank you. Interesting, in that Comcast told me my sound problems were software related and not a box issue. After 3 months of that nonsense I changed the box and my problem was fixed! Albeit it introduced a new problem.
Frequent Visitor

So I have this problem and I believe my firmware has been updated: PXO13AN_2.0p9s1.

Does anyone have an answer to why my TV keeps reverting to 720 from 1080p or 1080i every day (the box is on overnight)? 

Does it even matter, does Comcast have 1080p or 1080i content?

Any help is appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver

Clarkescan wrote:

So I have this problem and I believe my firmware has been updated: PXO13AN_2.0p9s1.

Does anyone have an answer to why my TV keeps reverting to 720 from 1080p or 1080i every day (the box is on overnight)? 

Does it even matter, does Comcast have 1080p or 1080i content?

Any help is appreciated.

If you can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter.

FYI, my X1 DVR Pace greenie has never reverted to anything since I got it in June, 2013.  It has always been 1080p60.  I know from using an antenna that some of my local channels are 720p, but X1 has always sent a 1080p signal to my TV.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I have this problem on one of my TVs. Pace blue light, 2.0 firmware, going to a Denon 3806 and then to a Panasonic plasma...won’t hold 1080p. This was the case with he previous firmware as well. I thought 2.0 would fix it, but it hasn't. It does hold the 1080i setting though. I can’t tell a difference so I leave it at 1080i.

The funny thing is my 2 remote boxes (non-DVR) hold the 1080p setting just fine. One goes direct to a Panasonic plasma (not even a 1080p display btw) and the other to a Pioneer receiver and then to a Panasonic plasma.

Knock on wood, have never had the surround sound bug.

Regular Contributor

I have an Arris DVR connected to my Denon 4311 to my Panasonic plasma.  Since receiving the 2.0 firmware, this has been happening to me as well.  Not to mention the box sometimes is unresponsive to commands and the dark screen staying on for up to 5 minutes after exiting the guide....

Contributor

I've posted this in other threads but wanted to add my name to the list of people having this issue. Arris 2.0 to Denon to Panasonic plasma. 1080P switching to 720P. No issue with this on previous firmware of same box.
Regular Visitor

Does anyone from tech services at Comcast even read our complaints? Or is this a place reserved for us disgruntled customers to waste more of our time? After two months of waiting for someone to respond it appears the latter is the case!
New Poster

Same issue with my LG 55" to a Denon surround sound receiver to the TV. I tried settint it to both 1080P and 1080i. It did not matter. It is always going back to 720P.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast Neal has said Comcast is aware and a fix is coming in the next firmware release.

alanand61 wrote:

Same issue with my LG 55" to a Denon surround sound receiver to the TV. I tried settint it to both 1080P and 1080i. It did not matter. It is always going back to 720P.

Silver Problem Solver

I just noticed this too on my box, it reverts back to 720 every day or two. Granted the HDMI is going from the box to an Xbox One, then to my TV, and my TV's HDMICEC is off, and the Xbox has no such setting.

The X1 box shouldn't try to read the attached device and set the screen resolution anyway, it should stay on what I tell it.

Problem Solver

Expert

corgi11 wrote:

If you don't mind running in 1080i then as of right now the only solution is to use component cables until Comcast gets all the bugs out of this problem. I am using component cables and set to 1080i with no problems at all right now.

component is 'dead' soon-to-be-removed technology for A/V though. The 1080i and 1080p have the same picture data, the 'p' actually takes more bandwidth/file size to transport. The HD TV takes whatever input that is selected and converts it to a digital progressive format for display on the plasma/LCD display.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Problem Solver

Frequent Visitor

Mine does the same thing. If I set it to either of the 1080 selections then the next time I turn on the TV it will be back to 720. The same thing happens when I set the audio to 'surround'. It always reverts back to 'stereo'. I re-adjust both each time I turn on the TV.

My previous cable box, Motorola 3400 (I think that's the correct model number) used to do the same thing. There was a lot of discussion about it in the forums. Eventually someone at Comcast or Motorola must've done a software fix and sent it as an update cuz it ended up working after a couple of years.

I am hooked up with cable to box, HDMI from box to receiver, HDMI receiver to monitor.

Frequent Visitor

P.S.---I have an X1 box, Yamaha receiver and Samsung TV

New Poster

RickGr4 wrote:

Comcast Neal has said Comcast is aware and a fix is coming in the next firmware release.

alanand61 wrote:

But unfortunately the issue wasn't fixed, was it now Neal?

Frequent Visitor

So right on schedule...yesterday I wrote my question and last night when I turned on my TV I went to reset to 1080/surround...and...it was already there! I guess it works now...so thank you! And to be a little bit more of a pain...is there a way you can make the 'native' setting like on the old box? I liked that cuz it would show whatever I watched at the resolution it was produced in. I think about 80% or more of the shows are at 720p and the different resolutions really don't look much different--they all look good--but I guess I'm just kinda weird about it.

Silver Problem Solver

I could be wrong, but I believe the X1 DVR and companion look at the TV and determine what is the correct resolution.  I have three 1080p TV's and one 720p TV and their setting in the Gear/Settings matches the resolution they support.

I believe a Comcast rep said the X1 boxes have a problem reading the TV sometimes because of some kind of bug in the X1.

New Poster

RobertWy wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe the X1 DVR and companion look at the TV and determine what is the correct resolution.  I have three 1080p TV's and one 720p TV and their setting in the Gear/Settings matches the resolution they support.

I believe a Comcast rep said the X1 boxes have a problem reading the TV sometimes because of some kind of bug in the X1.

This is correct because i've noticed some days it works fine but most days, more often than not, it resets to 720p.

Frequent Visitor

I spoke too soon!  I thought it had started working properly because when I set the Video Option to 1080 (I don't remember whether it was 'i' or 'p')  it remained on the 1080 setting after shutting down and then turning back on the TV...for about 2 days. But now it just goes right back to 720 again like it was doing.

Also...when I push on the "let's look at the grid" button to see what's on, I push the button twice and select 'HD'...but it always reverts back to "here's everything". Is there a way you can stick a little 'fix' in that will cause it to stay on my most recent selection?

Thank you!

New Poster

honestly, at this point, i feel like it will never get fixed, just as the pace box audio issue never was (ended up having to get the arris box instead)

The unfortunate thing about this bug is it plagues all models of x1 boxes so really there's no "workaround"

sigh

Silver Problem Solver

egeek84 wrote:

honestly, at this point, i feel like it will never get fixed, just as the pace box audio issue never was (ended up having to get the arris box instead)

The unfortunate thing about this bug is it plagues all models of x1 boxes so really there's no "workaround"

sigh

One workaround might be to get an X1 DVR that has component connections.  Then the X1 won't try to read the EDID from the TV and will not try to change the setting.

Frequent Visitor

In my case I do have an X1 DVR with component connections. I am hooked up with HDMI cables.

Gold Problem Solver

I'd like to say I agree with this statement but I don't...

I have three Arris DVRs:

One is connected to a five year old Sharp LED. It never reverts to 720.
One is connected to an eight year old Panny plasma. It has reverted one time in 1.5 years.
One is connected to a two year old Panny Plasma. It has reverted three times in the past 1.5 years. It hasn't done it for at least two if not three months.

I am aware this is an issue for some but I think saying it "plagues all models of X1 boxes" is a loose use of words. As I have said many times before, X1 issues can vary by MARKET as well. It sounds like the Comcast network people in the Twin Cities really have their act together. I don't experience many of the issues people discuss in this forum on a regular basis.

Also, I have come to the conclusion that the better your X1 signals are, the less the boxes reboot at night. I see my X1 boxes reboot less than once per week, possibly less than that. But it should be noted I have pristine signal levels. 

In summary, I think if you get your X1 signal levels more within signal spec than they are now then they well reboot less often. If they reboot less often, they will revert to 720 less often.

That being said, it is absolutely ridiculous that Comcast hasn't fixed this yet. Blu-ray players that sell for $49 don't have resolution problems. Why does Comcast's "flagship" product still have this issue? I am guessing it is because Comcast is still playing games with auto negotiation of HDMI...

egeek84 wrote:

sigh

Regular Visitor

No one at Comcast gives a "bleep" about this obviously.  No change , no fix, no care by them.

Unless you don't send them the cash for their overpriced service, then you hear from them immediately!!!!!

What a crock of "bleep"

New Poster

Lord almighty I think I finally fixed the problem, for good!

I turned off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on my Samsung TV and so far, perfect!

Fingers crossed, will let you guys know if anything changes

Regular Contributor

Only my x1 dvr, running thru a Yamaha receiver ,has this issue neither companion box does. Can comcast relay this to their employees? I called the x1 "help line" yesterday and was told the problem must be specific to me so they can send somebody out to look at it. she also said they had some problems like this in the future but they fix them, I'm not kidding. I said thank you and goodbye.
Official Employee

cldlhd wrote:
Only myx1dvr, runningthru a Yamaha receiver ,has this issue neither companion box does. Cancomcast relay this to their employees? I called thex1 "help line" yesterday and was told the problem must be specific to me so they can send somebody out to look at it. she also said they had some problems like this in the future but they fix them, I'm not kidding. I said thank you and goodbye.

We are aware of this issue, unfortunately this is fix is taking a lot longer than anyone anticipated.   It's been communicated to our support teams.    We are sorry for the inconveince. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, maybe I'm exaggerating but it feels like at least 3 months.
New Poster

Issue is completely gone for me now, Anynet+ HDMI CEC was the culprit for me

Regular Contributor

So did turning cec off fix it?
Gold Problem Solver

Not that I am trying to say "I told you so" but I have mentioned turning off HDMI-CEC functions in this forum more times than I can count...

egeek84 wrote:

New Poster

Sadly, I spoke too soon.  The issue is STILL PRESENT as of 05/18/2015.

I really got excited cuz I literally went about 5 days with no issue and usually it would revert at least once a day, if not more.

So I give up, this clearly is a firmware issue with the X1, no other devices I own have this issue and i'm done trying to troubleshoot it.

Either Comcast rolls out a fix for it or we suffer, there really aren't any other solutions.  I tried.

New Poster

ComcastChad wrote:

cldlhd wrote:
Only myx1dvr, runningthru a Yamaha receiver ,has this issue neither companion box does. Cancomcast relay this to their employees? I called thex1 "help line" yesterday and was told the problem must be specific to me so they can send somebody out to look at it. she also said they had some problems like this in the future but they fix them, I'm not kidding. I said thank you and goodbye.

We are aware of this issue, unfortunately this is fix is taking a lot longer than anyone anticipated.   It's been communicated to our support teams.    We are sorry for the inconveince. 

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better than having no communication on it at all from you guys after your last post that stated it was addressed in a certain firmware update that already rolled out (yet it wasn't fixed.)

Please keep us in the loop on this, thanks Chad.

New Poster

cldlhd wrote:
So did turning cec off fix it?

It fixed it for 5 days and now the issue has returned.

So to answer your question, NO, turning off HDMI-CEC does NOT fix the issue.

New Poster

RickGr4 wrote:

Not that I am trying to say "I told you so" but I have mentioned turning off HDMI-CEC functions in this forum more times than I can count...

egeek84 wrote:

That's actually what prompted me to turn it off to begin with, exhausted out all options, I did a little bit of googling and I think it may have been one of your threads or somewhere elses that suggested turning off hdmi-cec.

Unfortunately though, this seems to be a temporary solution, at least in my case as the box has started reverting back to 720p again.

I have literally exhausted every option at this point and my opinion is that the bug is a firmware/software issue and not something that requires us to do any work.  

I hope Comcast can roll out a fix for this asap.  If you read Chad's post above though, it seems like the team is aware of it but can't figure out how to fix it.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, even if it did work I like CEC for certain things.

Gold Problem Solver

Anything that CEC does... a properly programmed universal remote can do better.

X1 boxes have issues with HDMI. Which means they have issues with CEC. I have said this MANY times before in this forum. Comcast has chosen to diviate from well know and widely accepted HDMI standards for their own gain. They are trying to take control away from basic users.

cldlhd wrote:

Thanks, even if it did work I like CEC for certain things.

Frequent Visitor

So after reading the latest entries on this subject and being a Yamaha receiver and Samsung TV owner with an X1 box hooked up with HDMI cables I decided to take the above advice and last night after work checked my Samsung settings to see if the Anynet (CEC) setting was set to 'on'. If so I would then turn it off to correct the problem of the X1 box constantly returning to 720 resolution. And, just like I thought, Anynet was off and has always been off since I've owned the TV. So no, it's not that.

The only thing I know for sure is that this same problem existed with the Motorola (I think the number was) 3400 DVR cable box we had previously. The problem on that box was eventually ironed out, apparently by the Comcast/Xfinity or Motorola 'boffins', and the setting called 'Native' worked perfectly, providing and displaying for a moment each time I changed the channel, whatever resolution the show was being broadcast in.

Thing is, as I learned by using 'Native', that the majority of TV shows broadcast in HD are presented in 720 and it is difficult to tell the difference between the two resolutions. They both look great. But still. I would like to have that 'Native' setting available again.