Community Forum

wiring

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

wiring

So I currently have 8 boxes in my house, an XG1, 3- XG2's and 4-Xi3's.  It took many visits from numerous different techs to get this all up and running smoothly at one point.  Each tech would come out and blame the last tech for something but in the end every tech complained of wiring issues in the house and would cut off the coax connectors at the wall plates to the point where there was no cable left to put a new end on.  Fast forward a while and now i'm having service issues again.  Now internet is dropping out numerous times a day and all of my TV's seem to be working fine.  Last tech comes out a couple days ago and first thing he does is start cutting off ends in various rooms, which have already been replaced by previous comcast techs and says that two lines have a little noise but it isn't bad.  He also says there is possibly an issue with the splitter another tech installed a couple years ago but he doesn't have an 8 port to replace it.  He also removes a filter from the tap that he says i no longer need but doesn't see an issue with the two othe filter, if that is what they are, installed one at the spliter and one at the outside connection.  So prior to leaving he checks to make sure everyhting is in the "green", and now the fun part begins.  At first two boxes are showing red.  Then after multiple tests every box in my house at one point or another continues to switch from red to green and vice versa with the entire house never going green.  I am then made to call comcast and schedule a new service appointment as the tech won't leave because they won't take the job off his route until I make a new appointment and it's now about 9pm.  So my biggest concern here is that after the tech leaves the following day I look at the app on my phone and now all the boxes are green, however my internet speed is slower than dialup and dropping constantly.  Then a check later in the day showes numerous boxes red, but all the tv are functioning properly.  What gives?  And last part, the entire house was rewired from the outside to every room, all home runs to the splitter in the basement.  One run is even about 10 feet away to a tv and you can see the cable as it's in an unfinished basement and that TV won't go green.  You can't tell me every wire previoulsy and now even the brand new ones all have a problem.  

Silver Problem Solver

Re: wiring

Is the 8 port splitter a powered amplifier?

Frequent Visitor

Yes it is a commscope CSAPDU9VP.

Silver Problem Solver

Before the amp, you should have a 2 way splitter. one side to the modem, the other to the amp and everything else. The modem should not be amped.

Frequent Visitor

So no tech has ever done that.  I have a two way splitter that I can throw on that will take me all of a minute to add.  However I did notice that the Commscope does have a dedicated port labled -4dB VoIP out, that when the tech put all the lines back on, he did not put the modem back on that port.  Once I swithced it this morning the internet connection appears to be a little more stable and hasnt dropped off yet as well as my speed tests seem to be back in the 280 -300 Mbps range.  

I have two splitters one seems to just be a pass through (if there is such a thing) and the other has a -3.5dB on both legs.  Which one should I use?

Official Employee

@barbie123 wrote:

Before the amp, you should have a 2 way splitter. one side to the modem, the other to the amp and everything else. The modem should not be amped.

Not true, the model that the OP has isn't a true amp and there's a port for the modem if it is by itself and not split with an X1 box.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@bgmspd wrote:

So no tech has ever done that.  I have a two way splitter that I can throw on that will take me all of a minute to add.  However I did notice that the Commscope does have a dedicated port labled -4dB VoIP out, that when the tech put all the lines back on, he did not put the modem back on that port.  Once I swithced it this morning the internet connection appears to be a little more stable and hasnt dropped off yet as well as my speed tests seem to be back in the 280 -300 Mbps range.  

I have two splitters one seems to just be a pass through (if there is such a thing) and the other has a -3.5dB on both legs.  Which one should I use?

You have a lot of issues that need to be fixed by another tech.

Boxes that aren't communicating with each other like they should.

Boxes that are showing offline.

ICFR through the roof on your docsis devices, ICFR is In Channel Frequency Respons and should be at a certain level and it's not. It can be either plant related or house relate, a tech with a meter can determine which.

Escalated to help you get a tech out if needed

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Andrew,

The modem is not split.  Every box is a home run from the wall plate to the splitter.  At the completion of the last visit I was told that there was an issue with two boxes specifically so I disconnected them from the splitter and capped the splitter ports to see if that helped bring everything else online.  Last night all the other boxes were green, according to the app.  Then I look this morning and of the six (6) remaining connected boxes only three are showing green now.  So I have no idea how these boxes keep going from red to green throughout the day.  I am going to rewire the two that the tech pointed out as an issue but I find it hard to believe this is an issue with the cable as i'm using all Belden quad shielded rg6 from multiple 500' spools and the entire house was recently re-wired about a month ago.  As of now I did speak with a representative and have a tech coming out tomorrow but I fear that I will go through the same process of the tech cutting off coax connectors and at the end of the day not getting things resolved and just blaming wiring.

I currently work remotely though a VPN and loosing my Internet connection multiple times a day is a huge issue for me.  So I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer.  

Official Employee

Hello bgmspd, we certainly want to get this taken care of for you right away. I can look into your signals and modem health on my end to help diagnose this problem. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"? 

Frequent Visitor

So I still need someone from Comcast to follow up on this and checking the signals would be helpful at this point.

Official Employee

Follow the instructions above and ComcastAmir will assist with getting one scheduled