Community Forum

whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Problem Solver

whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs

pizza.jpg

By now some of you who have more than one x1 DVR in the home have had this feature added to the account.

This thread is to discuss any known issues with this feature.

The only thing that I have noticed is it only allowing for seven tuners on my system.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Expert

Re: whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs

@gotpizza wrote:

By now some of you who have more than one x1 DVR in the home have had this feature added to the account.

The only thing that I have noticed is it only allowing for seven tuners on my system.

new version(s)? also you've got mail from a week or so ago.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

I need to spend more time with it Pizzaman. What I see so far I like...

@gotpizza wrote:

Frequent Visitor

What is whole home scheduling?

Gold Problem Solver

A new feature Comcast is just beginning to test. It applies to people that have more than one X1 DVR (I have three). It allows multiple X1 DVRs to act and behave as one big DVR from a scheduling standpoint. The DVRs choose on their own which one will record a program.

If you don't have multiple X1 DVRs, it does not apply to you.

@yodasmaster wrote:

What is whole home scheduling?

Problem Solver

Rick the coolest thing was really unrelated.

Did you notice the window that popped up explaining the new feature? They to do that for every new feature added..

Silver Problem Solver

deleted.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Pizzaman, what versions are you on that has the popup?  I haven't seen it yet because I haven't had a situation where it would appear.  Most of my scheduled recordngs are series.  I do very little individual scheduling.

mine happened at 10 pm last night. will massage the priority list. IMO this is necessary due to cloud coming and not dealing with 3 actual DVRs but just one virtual super DVR (combined).

No firmware change no XRE update (still on 146.06). All 'cloud' changes. Someone said they only had 7 i did a test (3 X1 DVRs) and recorded channels until got to 12. the 13th gave the conflict msg. Looked at the saved list and all 12 were 'recording.

can you say 'awesome'?

pizzaman does tivo have a similar grouping feature?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I had the popup this morning and I noticed a problem.

We have 2 DVR's, one of them has the MOCA filter on the back to keep the recordings seperate.

Under the Record section both DVR's show what is recorded on each DVR.... so far....so good... 

Under the Schedule Section now with the Whole Home System it now shows all the shows scheduled to record on both DVR's.

But I have found a probelm...for tonight it shows 4 shows scheduled to record....3 of the shows are set to record on 1 DVR and and the 1 show on the 2nd DVR....but it shows a schedule conflict for a 4th show on the DVR set to record the 3 shows.

For some reason it will still only let me record 4 shows....between 2 DVR's.....not the 8 shows I thought I would be able to record.

Not sure why it's working this way......

Expert

@psdstu wrote:

We have 2 DVR's, one of them has the MOCA filter on the back to keep the recordings seperate.

Under the Record section both DVR's show what is recorded on each DVR.... so far....so good... 

Under the Schedule Section now with the Whole Home System it now shows all the shows scheduled to record on both DVR's.

But I have found a probelm...for tonight it shows 4 shows scheduled to record....3 of the shows are set to record on 1 DVR and and the 1 show on the 2nd DVR....but it shows a schedule conflict for a 4th show on the DVR set to record the 3 shows.

For some reason it will still only let me record 4 shows....between 2 DVR's.....not the 8 shows I thought I would be able to record.

how do you know 'where' it is planned to record? I don't see that on mine (location of scheduled recordings. I looked through the options settings for 'this episode' and "all"

when looking at saved>scheduled I see i'm at 11%full (this dvr?) and 300 scheduled (shows) that's new isn't it?

Problem Solver

@psdstu wrote:

You are going to have to remove that filter. to make the whole system functions now. The why it is set up it will decide for you which DVR to record from . This is based on how much space is available on each DVR. If you need an independent DVR you may have to get a TIVO for that room. Not sure if there is a away to take the new software off at this point.

Problem Solver

Just so everyone knows we need all the feed back on this as we can get in this thread. The good bad and ugly.

If anyone has a show/movie that did't record or had a conflict Comcast needs to know.

Expert

@gotpizza wrote:

Just so everyone knows we need all the feed back on this as we can get in this thread. The good bad and ugly.

If anyone has a show/movie that did't record or had a conflict Comcast needs to know.

while recording 12 (3 X1 DVRs) shows, all HD, I did a speedtest on internet. got full normal speed up and down. (someone had asked earlier, since I could easily test it, was happy with the results)

Silver Problem Solver

Since X1 has its own modem, it won't affect Internet speed, which has a separate modem.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

I got the popup when I turned my system on this morming.

This "feature" does not address my issue, which is having both Saved Recordings on my mobile devices, phone, tablet, PC.

That issue needs its own thread.

Official Employee

Whole Home Scheduling was enabled for a small % of customers (very very small) who have more than one X1 DVR in the home.   We will be rolling this out to the remaining customer's over the next two weeks. 

Features include the following:

•Tuner Pooling (2 X1 DVR's = 8 simultaneous recordings, 3 X1 DVR's = 12 simultaneous recordings and so on)

•Disk Space pooling (2 X1 DVRs = 1 TB of storage. 3 X1 DVRs= 1.5 TB of storage and so on)

•Removes need for user to select a hub to schedule to (schedules can be manged from all X1 boxes)

•Cloud DVR customers- all new recordings from all X1 DVRs will be available in the cloud, no need to select the default cloud dvr anymore)

Please let us know if you are seeing any issues

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Bronze Problem Solver

I had this feature added to my 3 DVR's yesterday - I thought that the change just applied to the scheduled and priority lists - didn't realize that it also merged tuners and storage until I read Chad's post. 

I wish the popup message had been more informative.  There's an awful lot of multi-DVR users out in Comcastland who don't participate in this forum who will only get a part of the story. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:

Whole Home Scheduling was enabled for a small % of customers (very very small) who have more than one X1 DVR in the home.   We will be rolling this out to the remaining customer's over the next two weeks. 

•Tuner Pooling (2 X1 DVR's = 8 simultaneous recordings, 3 X1 DVR's = 12 simultaneous recordings and so on)

•Disk Space pooling (2 X1 DVRs = 1 TB of storage. 3 X1 DVRs= 1.5 TB of storage and so on)

•Removes need for user to select a hub to schedule to (schedules can be manged from all X1 boxes)

•Cloud DVR customers- all new recordings from all X1 DVRs will be available in the cloud, no need to select the default cloud dvr anymore)

Thanks ComcastChad for that very exciting info!

I have 3 DVR's in my home so this new update can't come soon enough Smiley Happy

Ive been wanting my 3 DVR's in my home to work this way every since I got it and am so glad it will finally work the way I want Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

What's the build number and date that will have the whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs feature?

I hope I get it soon.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:

Chad,

This is going to be an issue for those who have more than 1 DVR and have a MOCA filter installed on the back of 1 or more of the DVR's....I am having this issue now...and in order for the Whole Home Scheduling to work as designed I think the MOCA filter/s on the back of the DVR's will need to be removed.

Frequent Visitor

What about those of us that want to keep all of our DVR's independent? We have 4 X1 DVR’s in our house and it is already hard enough to keep things straight because a few of us record the same shows. We have one person whos DVR is constantly at 100% full because they do not know how to manage it. Does this mean that their recordings will now spill over into everyone else’s DVR’s because they are constantly 100% full?

If that is the case, this might be the final straw with us and Comcast. What is so hard about creating user profiles and only showing what is recorded under my own profile? I do not want to see everyone else’s recordings and I definitely do not want their recordings being recorded on my DVR.

Contributor

I have not received this yet. Though I am not sure I even will since I had to get an exception to get an extra DVR (my area doesn't allow more than 1 right now). Hopefully I still will get it though.

Silver Problem Solver

I wasn't clear about what my "issue" is.

I have two DVR's.  I want all recordings in the Saved-Recordings folder to be available for my iPhone app, iPad app, and PC (using https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings).

Right now, I only see recordings for one DVR.

Is that clearer?

Official Employee

@gate1975mlm wrote:

What's the build number and date that will have the whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs feature?

I hope I get it soon.

There is no build number associated with this feature

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@psdstu wrote:

@ComcastChad wrote:

Chad,

This is going to be an issue for those who have more than 1 DVR and have a MOCA filter installed on the back of 1 or more of the DVR's....I am having this issue now...and in order for the Whole Home Scheduling to work as designed I think the MOCA filter/s on the back of the DVR's will need to be removed.

You are correct, the MoCA Filter will need to be removed.  We have talking points for our care agents available.    The filter is supposed to be at the tap level, it was not supposed to be installed behind the DVR.  

Problem Solver

Gate... It is not firmware specific. It was something done in backend. someone Could have the same firmware/xre but still not have the feature. Rest assure that anyone posting on this thread will get this feature just by posting.

Problem Solver

@yodasmaster wrote:

What about those of us that want to keep all of our DVR's independent? We have 4 X1 DVR’s in our house and it is already hard enough to keep things straight because a few of us record the same shows. We have one person whos DVR is constantly at 100% full because they do not know how to manage it. Does this mean that their recordings will now spill over into everyone else’s DVR’s because they are constantly 100% full?

If that is the case, this might be the final straw with us and Comcast. What is so hard about creating user profiles and only showing what is recorded under my own profile? I do not want to see everyone else’s recordings and I definitely do not want their recordings being recorded on my DVR.

Yoda It will now Spread the recordings across all DVRs. Now when someone sets something to record than they will see that someone has already set it to record.

I would look at the playlist feature, I have not messed with it yet. Maybe you can play with it.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

I have two DVR's.  I want all recordings in the Saved-Recordings folder to be available for my iPhone app, iPad app, and PC (using https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings).

Is that clearer?

Yes, this is now supported with whole home scheduling.  Moving forward, all of your recordings from all of the X1 DVRs on your account will be available in the cloud as well.

ComcastThomas

Frequent Visitor

Is there any way to see which programs are stored on which DVR?

Regular Contributor

@yodasmaster wrote:

Not that I can tell with my 2 DVR's.....

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... while recording 12 (3 X1 DVRs) shows, all HD, I did a speedtest on internet. got full normal speed up and down. ...

Since video data for all channels is moving along the coax whether you are tuned to them or not, and whether you are recording them or not, and is carried on different frequencies from cable modem data, it would be odd if recording slowed down your internet connection.

Problem Solver

@yodasmaster wrote:

You can tell by the response time when you press ff rew play etc..Therefore if it is slower than it is on one of the other DVRs.

It really should not matter what DVR it is on as long as it records and then allows playback from all stb's..

Problem Solver

Whoever keeps placing threads within threads please stop. This thread was opened for a reason. If I wanted to post this information within this thread than would have done that.

It makes it very confusing when replying to other members....

Regular Contributor

@gotpizza wrote:

Whoever keeps placing threads within threads please stop. This thread was opened for a reason. If I wanted to post this information within this thread than would have done that.

It makes it very confusing when replying to other members....

I agree!! 

This should be a standalone thread..... not merged within another thread.

Regular Contributor

@psdstu wrote:

Hi psdstu,

We did some trouble shooting on your account and the problem is caused because of the MoCA filter on the second box.  Can you please remove it and try scheduling more than 4 recordings at the same time again?  I can provide some more details about what was happening if you want to send me a personal email.

Thanks for providing the report.  It was very helpful as we we continue to roll out this functionality.

ComcastThomas.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastThomas wrote:

@psdstu wrote:

Hi psdstu,

We did some trouble shooting on your account and the problem is caused because of the MoCA filter on the second box.  Can you please remove it and try scheduling more than 4 recordings at the same time again?  I can provide some more details about what was happening if you want to send me a personal email.

Thanks for providing the report.  It was very helpful as we we continue to roll out this functionality.

ComcastThomas.

Thomas,

Just a heads up that with the MoCA filter removed both DVR's are recording the way the Whole Home Scheduling was intended.

Thanks for the Help!!

Stu

Expert

ComcastChad wrote:

psdstu wrote:

ComcastChad wrote:

Chad,

You are correct, the MoCA Filter will need to be removed.  We have talking points for our care agents available.    The filter is supposed to be at the tap level, it was not supposed to be installed behind the DVR.  

Chad,
If I get lucky ( not in that sense ) and am able to get a second DVR, you suugest that I should MOVE the MOCA FIlter out in the TAP location instead of its surrent location on the AMP in the attic?
Thanks in advance,
-=Ray=-

Regular Contributor

@gotpizza wrote:

I have spent the last two years trying to get any room disabled with varying degrees of success.  Now this new "upgrade" is an all new wrinkle.  Two tech visits and many phone calls clarified what had happened.  The recordings are managed by system rather than device.  However I was limited to 4 recordings over both DVR's.  Removing the MOCA filters seem to have solved that.  We'll have to wait and see.  Meanwhile I have to learn how to manage recordings so that programs are not deleted after one person watches when others have not. 

Any ideas out there?

Regular Contributor

@yodasmaster wrote:

I agree with you.  It is far from ideal.  It may be a deal breaker for me unless I buy a Tivo.  Since the recordings are managed on a system wide basis there is no immediate fix.  Maybe they will find a way to sort by user.  I may still be around.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Is that clearer?

If you have MOCA filters on your DVR's remove them

Gold Problem Solver

For those of you that want multiple DVRs in their homes yet want them to be independent and hidden from each other, I think you need to go back to legacy boxes.

This new update does EXACTLY what I wanted it to do. I no longer need to pay attention to where recordings are stored and which DVR is nearing full. It's one less thing I need to take time thinking about and I LIKE IT!!!

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

For those of you that want multiple DVRs in their homes yet want them to be independent and hidden from each other, I think you need to back to legacy boxes.

This new update does EXACTLY what I wanted it to do. I no longer need to pay attention to where recordings are stored and which DVR is nearing full. It's one less thing I need to take time thinking about and I LIKE IT!!!

Same here I finally got it working and love it this way!

Silver Problem Solver

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

For those of you that want multiple DVRs in their homes yet want them to be independent and hidden from each other, I think you need to back to legacy boxes.

Same here I finally got it working and love it this way!

Wot 'e said.

Frequent Visitor

I pretty much posted the same issues with my 2-X11 DVR's in X1Technical Issue forum.
My Wife and I were more than satisfied with the way they were functioning before the update.
Now she can only watch her recorded programming on my TV not hers.
By the way the filter was removed over a month ago.
I can cross post if needed although I think it won't be needed if you were to look at my posted issues.
Silver Problem Solver

@flatlander2014 wrote:
I pretty much posted the same issues with my 2-X11 DVR's in X1Technical Issue forum.
My Wife and I were more than satisfied with the way they were functioning before the update.
Now she can only watch her recorded programming on my TV not hers.
By the way the filter was removed over a month ago.
I can cross post if needed although I think it won't be needed if you were to look at my posted issues.

For whatever reason, my wife and I can watch ANY recorded show, regardless of where it was recorded, on either DVR.  I assume your DVR's had unique names, both on each DVR and in the onlline setup.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes

Frequent Visitor

Yes I have the boxes setup with individual names. My wife's being "bulls Room" and mine being "Living Room".
As an update our connections in our home are somewhat obscured.
I had noticed that there was indeed another low pass filter which I believe you folks call MOCA filter?
Now both DVR's and house are sans the filters.
My observations after removing this filter in the Bulls Room my wife's DVR was once again able to record and view her recordings
On her DVR.
I had figured great! Problem fixed. Nope!
I had tried to record something on my Living Room DVR and the recording went directly to her DVR not mine.
Well that's not going to work. I could play my recording on my TV.
I had nothing to loose here, so I installed this filter on my DVR.
For now it all seems to work as I expected.
After today I will know if this works or not.
It is just the way I expect it to work. My wife's DVR does not see my SAVED programming and visa versa.
I will post the results on Monday.
Regular Contributor

Is there anyway to control which dvr records set programs or at least set a default.  I have two drv's, one in a bedroom and one in the media room.  It appears that most or all of the recordings are going tothe bedroom first which is the least viewed.  Although I can view the recordings on both tv's, the remote recordings show some delays in function.

Problem Solver

@mars21 wrote:

Is there anyway to control which dvr records set programs or at least set a default.  I have two drv's, one in a bedroom and one in the media room.  It appears that most or all of the recordings are going tothe bedroom first which is the least viewed.  Although I can view the recordings on both tv's, the remote recordings show some delays in function.

It will default to whatever DVR has more hdd space, given that it also has enough tuners to record with at that time!

Frequent Visitor

This is the WORST idea your copany has ever had.  I pay for multiple DVRs so that we can have separate recording queues on different TVs.  I live in a roommate situation and we watch some of the same shows and some that are different.  Now that everything is meshed together, shows are being deleted by a viewer before the other viewer has had a chance to watch it since we aren't aware that the other person watches the same program.   I am also part of some frustrating outage that is causing my shows to record on the other DVR and are not accessible to me on my DVR.

Comcast has not shown too much forethought with this new X1 system.  X1 is an exciting concept.  I enjoy the new look and feel and the fact that I can record 4 shows at once but this "Whole Home Recording" is terrible. Your developers need to consider all of the possible living arrangements that may exist in one home before implementing something that will only work for a subsection of their customer base.

I read above that the system will decide on it's own which DVR to record something on?  So that means my shows may always land on his DVR making it impossible for me to watch them on my TV?  That's the worst part of the entire concept.  What were you thinking?

Silver Problem Solver

@debberooni wrote:

This is the WORST idea your copany has ever had.  I pay for multiple DVRs so that we can have separate recording queues on different TVs.  I live in a roommate situation and we watch some of the same shows and some that are different.  Now that everything is meshed together, shows are being deleted by a viewer before the other viewer has had a chance to watch it since we aren't aware that the other person watches the same program.   I am also part of some frustrating outage that is causing my shows to record on the other DVR and are not accessible to me on my DVR.

Comcast has not shown too much forethought with this new X1 system.  X1 is an exciting concept.  I enjoy the new look and feel and the fact that I can record 4 shows at once but this "Whole Home Recording" is terrible. Your developers need to consider all of the possible living arrangements that may exist in one home before implementing something that will only work for a subsection of their customer base.

I read above that the system will decide on it's own which DVR to record something on?  So that means my shows may always land on his DVR making it impossible for me to watch them on my TV?  That's the worst part of the entire concept.  What were you thinking?

I can watch any recording on any DVR from any DVR and any mobile device, iPad, iPhone, or PC.  But I have cloud.