Community Forum

use of 3rd party IR remote on X1 DVR

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: use of 3rd party IR remote on X1 DVR

tmig wrote:

Simple took the new boxes home, put the IR transmitter in the same location as where the IR receiver was in the older MOT boxes.  That didn't work.  Used a flashlight to look for IR receiver, found none.  Moved the IR transmitter over every space on the front of the box to try and find receiver, nope.  Also the old MOT boxes have a place on the back to plug in an external IR receiver, no such outlet on the newer Arris versions.  Took box back to Comcast service center where rep said the new boxes do not have IR.  Hope that is a complete enough answer

put an XR11 remote in IR mode (setup > 987 (the LED when pressing DVR commands like Xfinity button, channel up/down or guide (etc) will now blink the remote's LED in red (IR). now does the remote control the device with IR? (voice feature will not work with IR)

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

Simple took the new boxes home, put the IR transmitter in the same location as where the IR receiver was in the older MOT boxes.  That didn't work.  Used a flashlight to look for IR receiver, found none.  Moved the IR transmitter over every space on the front of the box to try and find receiver, nope.  Also the old MOT boxes have a place on the back to plug in an external IR receiver, no such outlet on the newer Arris versions.  Took box back to Comcast service center where rep said the new boxes do not have IR.  Hope that is a complete enough answer

Expert

tmig wrote:

An IR extender is of no vaule if the box does not have an IR receiver. The Aim Anywhere does not have sufficient range as the 50ft is in perfect conditions

I'm not sure where you are finding information that X1 devices do not have IR receivers. No such announcement or lack of IR has been announced by any Comcast Employee on this forum.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

An IR extender is of no vaule if the box does not have an IR receiver. The Aim Anywhere does not have sufficient range as the 50ft is in perfect conditions

Official Employee

tmig, have you considered getting an IR extender? Our boxes are compatible with them. Additionally, you can use the XR2/XR5 remote control with Aim Anywhere control (RF capability) even if they are stored in a closet or another room, up to 50 feet away. 

New Poster

Well if it has IR, i couldn't find it and the Xfinity rep could and told me it did not have it  The older XG1v3 that is model beginning with MOT has IR but the AX does not that anyone can find

Expert

tmig wrote:

Exact model number AR AX013ANC

that is xg1v3 it does have IR, someone already said the IR receiver on xg1v4 seems to bee weak which is better than previous versions that got 'overwhelmed' with IR sending units.

New Poster

Exact model number AR AX013ANC

New Poster

Arris XG1V3 and Arris XG1V4

Silver Problem Solver

tmig wrote:

New ones do not have IR

Do you have the model of the new ones you are referring to?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

New Poster

New ones do not have IR

Expert

tmig wrote:

XR11 does not have the range necessary as boxes are rack mounted in another room.  The RF signal does not travel far enough which is why i wnat to use IR.  Currently use an Elan g! HR2 that connects to Elan system via IP and then sends an IR signal to cable box.  New models of X1 boxes appear to not have IR receivers, Comcast saves a few pennies and customer suffer

I have not read anything about any X1 set top boxes not having IR capabilities. the windows are usually in the lower right hand corner of the front of the box.

New Poster

XR11 does not have the range necessary as boxes are rack mounted in another room.  The RF signal does not travel far enough which is why i wnat to use IR.  Currently use an Elan g! HR2 that connects to Elan system via IP and then sends an IR signal to cable box.  New models of X1 boxes appear to not have IR receivers, Comcast saves a few pennies and customer suffer

Silver Problem Solver

You didn't say which remote you have.  The XR11 remote is free for the asking.

New Poster

use of 3rd party IR remote on X1 DVR

Which X1 DVR boxes accept IR.  does the AR AX013ANC.  I am having a problem getting IR to work with this box.  IR works fine with the older model MOTO MX011ANC