Community Forum

unable to watch Xfinity movies from Laptop.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

unable to watch Xfinity movies from Laptop.

Xfinity wants Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.  I have Version 5.10411.0  The Screen asks me to upgrade.  I have the latest version.  The application does not recognize Microsoft Silverlight.

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: unable to watch Xfinity movies from Laptop.

I am having the same issue from my desktop pc.  Im a little upset because ever since I tried to watch Xfinity TV online and got the prompts to install Silverlight software it has caused all of my other video functions to act improperly.  Now when I attempt to watch even flash content in full screen 480p or above the video as well as the audio is choppy.  I cannot figure out which programs to remove that were installed with the silverlight bundled features to stop this.  VERY FRUSTRATED...never had an issue until I attempted to watch XFINITY online.

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

All these xfinity tv website errors have been going on for a long time and they are always the same. To save time if you would have search the forum you would have seen that the standard things any comcast tech would ask you to include to solve any problem is

1  go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

2 Post the url of the videos that you are trying to watch

It would be helpful if you would have search and see if any suggestions given was helpful and what steps you have tried to fix the problem if any other wise you will always get a standard reply

Regular Visitor

Not a vey friendly reply.  I expected a better coorespondance from COMCAST.  

Diamond Problem Solver

This is a Community forum, it is not staffed 100% by reps from Comcast, and far from being the Comcast help desk.  Comcast rep's have their name in red and help in select posts only.

Please post what was asked, then when ComcastJoe gets online in the morning, he probably can help you, and posting that information up front will help get a timely response.

Official Employee

CW4B & jzpoints,

We require a patched version of Silverlight (version 5.1.10516). This patch resolves most video playback errors. Many customers are clicking the Update Now button, download and install the upgrade, and still get the upgrade message.

Please follow the instructions below:

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Make sure all Silverlight files are removed. Then download and install the patched version of Silverlight from the appropriate link below:

Mac users 

Windows users 

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Poster

Can you please identify what all files I should be removing.  I have removed more than one file that contains Silverlight in the name.  But there are several other microsoft files that appear in my programs list that I do not recall being there before.  I want to be sure because I think that I have removed all Silverlight files yet I am conitinuing to experience playback and audio issues across all browsers - Safari, Chrome, and IE, as well as with all Flash content that is attemting to play.  This is driving me nuts.

Official Employee

jzpoints wrote:

Can you please identify what all files I should be removing.  I have removed more than one file that contains Silverlight in the name.  But there are several other microsoft files that appear in my programs list that I do not recall being there before.  I want to be sure because I think that I have removed all Silverlight files yet I am conitinuing to experience playback and audio issues across all browsers - Safari, Chrome, and IE, as well as with all Flash content that is attemting to play.  This is driving me nuts.

Try these steps from Microsoft's official site:

1. Click Start and type Notepad in the Search box
  2. Double-click on Notepadfrom the list of results above
  3. Copy and then paste the following text into Notepad.

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100} /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\{D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100} /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A} /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00} /f
    rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Silverlight"
    rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Silverlight"
  4. Click File and Save As and type CleanSilverlight.cmd
  5. In the Save astype box, click All Files (*.*)
  6. In the Save in box, click Desktop, and then click Save
  7. On the File menu, click Exit
  8. Right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file on your desktop and click Run as administrator
  9. When the uninstall completes, right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file on your desktop and click Run as administrator a second time
  10. Once the uninstall has completed, click the link below to install the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight 

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx

11. Now Delete the CleanSilverlight.cmd file from your desktop.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe