Community Forum

the 1080p 60 fps option

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: the 1080p 60 fps option

wrote:

Meaning you set the box to 720p and force the TV to1080p?  I have a brand new Sont 4k TV and when I switch the box to 720p then the TV switches to that mode as well. 

the tv's display of 720p is showing what is appearing on the input HDMI port. to fill your 4k screen the TV will upscale as needed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert

wrote:

Meaning you set the box to 720p and force the TV to1080p?  I have a brand new Sont 4k TV and when I switch the box to 720p then the TV switches to that mode as well. 

the set top boxes have a generic upscaler (never rated in media on quality), whereas TV manufacturers have their own upscalers designed for 'that' particular TVs display panels and they get rated by all the media, so the manufacturer hopefully has the best circuitry to do the upscaling and that is why I set mine on 720p in the set top box and let the TVs do the upscaling. Wish X1 boxes had 'native' format setting passing it through to the TV to handle.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

I don't know how anyone else does it, but I have three DVR's and two XG2's and I set them to match what the TV's resolution is.  With a 4K TV I would set it at the highest resolution the X1 STB can support.

Regular Contributor

Expert

wrote:

Should my box be set to 720p, 1080i, or 720p?

native setting would be best if it had one. all channels but local ones are in 720p. local channels are possibly in 1080i or 720p. I have mine all on 720p and let the TV upconvert to its own panels (1080P)

Regular Contributor

Should my box be set to 720p, 1080i, or 720p?

Expert

Comcast changed to full digital so there is no analog NTSC on the cable.  the format is ATSC for digital encoding of signals carried. A good wiki page on ATSC talks about the future ATSC 3.0 where 4k (they don't say 8k but it is 8k and beyond) transmission is available. They also don't mention that new receiving equipment will be needed. IMO cable will be on IPTV by then to allow full bandwidth needed for the 4k(and more) streams. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_standards

Silver Problem Solver

It seems likely I will live to see Comcast content deliveered over IP.  I think that will be a "GOOD THING".  I think the Xi5 and Xi6 are a sign it is coming.

Expert

NHK makes 4K and 8K equipment for: Cable, Satellite, and Terrestrial (over the air) broadcasting.

The big problem is it O.T.A. broadcasting only makes sense in countries like Japan, S. Korea, etc., where transmitters can be located in a high location to reach a very dense population to cover the capital expense for the new equipment. Not very likely in the U.S.A. with much more area and spread out population.

Some of us retired folks may be long gone before 4K or 8K transmitted over the air. However; technology is always changing, so: "Never say never."

New Poster

60 FPS has nothing to do with 60, 120 and 240 hz. Frames per second and Hz are two different things.

Hz actually went backwards your tube TVs or Plasmas would do 600hz no problem. Drawback to flat screens most people don’t know.

Flat screens are actually cheaper. Frames per second is how many frames in the video. Industry standard is like 29.97 or something. Some of it is 24. They just call it 30. The 60 option is mainly games.

I highly doubt you’ll see 60 unless it’s Netflix. It’s not native.

Native is done with Comcast as well. Comcast only broadcasts in 720P they will not send a signal at 1080i anymore. They downscale those to 720P for Progressive scan. As of 2017 Native Resolutions are done. 720P only. Upscale it or downscale via the box. Aka Fake 1080 or 4K.

1080i or 720P is the barrier. NTSC will never see true 4K or true 1080P. Boxes will upscale it. Sorry guys that’s the truth. That barrier won’t be broken with out changing the way we broadcast. The bandwidth isn’t their.

True 4K will only be seen over the Internet, Blu Ray etc. Same thing with true 1080P.

That will likely never change on our lifetime.

So why did manufacturers invent 4K. When 720 and 1080 got big they sold a ton. 4K can be used online native plus we can upscale. Main reason to cash in again or sell you another TV sooner.

But as far as a NTSC Broadcast (Cable). It’ll never pass 1080i and Comcast won’t do interlaced so that leaves 720P. PAL in Europe has a better chance but likely won’t get their either.

My guess is they’ll bring you true 4K but they’ll have the boxes drawing from the internet. Cable dies with 1080i and 720P. X1 takes a step in that direction but it’s all about upscaling. Just remember Comcast dosent send signals above 720P and they downscale 1080i signals in favor of the P - Progressive Scan to 720. 1080P exceeds NTSCs limits and eats bandwidth.

True 1080P and above will only come from the internet or a file on a disc etc.

Cable dies with 720P and 1080i while Comcast builds a cloud and puts cable online. That how they will overcome that hurdle. Netflix connects to the internet through your X1 with out being plugged into your modem. Soon all of cable will do that.

You can trust me. It’s credible. I know people in broadcast. DirectTV likes to sport 4K. It’s still bull sh**. NTSC will never be able to do it. The internet will and already does. Cable will be online via a set top box one day. Odds are it won’t contribute to your data cap and Comcast is in a good position to start building it. They kinda already are X1 is a step. Their will be many before it happens. A lot of us will be dead. Lol. Sad truth. If your waiting for true 4K don’t buy a 4K TV. It won’t happen in the time you own one via cable.

On the Flips side Netflix already delivers but keep in mind not everything is filmed in 4K Netflix May have 4K material upscaled on their end, not by your box. Although a lot of 4K cameras are starting to film. Just not broadcasting due to the limitation. Except for internet.

They don’t tell you this. Because I just did and you still probably don’t get it. Lol. More to it than people think.
New Poster

60 FPS has nothing to do with 60, 120 and 240 hz. Frames per second and Hz are two different things.

Hz actually went backwards your tube TVs or Plasmas would do 600hz no problem. Drawback to flat screens most people don’t know.

Flat screens are actually cheaper. Frames per second is how many frames in the video. Industry standard is like 29.97 or something. Some of it is 24. They just call it 30. The 60 option is mainly games.

I highly doubt you’ll see 60 unless it’s Netflix. It’s not native.
Frequent Visitor

Smart TV's are now 1080 120 and 240. Why are we still in the 60 holding pattern?

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Because X1 boxes to not offer a "native" setting, if you have the box set to 1080p then yes, all channels are converted to output in 1080P.

What resolution the channels are originally broadcast in is an entirely different story. Most networks are 1080i. ABC and ESPN are main exceptions broadcasting at 720P.

Pharrell wrote:

Do all channels show in 60 FPS using that option in the X1 box?

Problem Solver

the 1080p 60 fps option

Do all channels show in 60 FPS using that option in the X1 box?