Community Forum

says I'm not on my home wifi network but i am

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

says I'm not on my home wifi network but i am

I am so tired of this message.  I try watching a news channel on my ethernet-connected desktop windows 7 professional computer, and after maybe a few minutes to sometimes an hour, i get an interruption with a black screen that says i cannot watch said channel unless I am on my home wifi network-!!!  It is connected to the Comcast modem/router that I rent from Comcast, and I have access to other web sites, so I know the connection is working.  No one ever knows how to solve this when I call in to the 800 number, so for all intents and purposes this so-called feature that is supposed to allow you to watch live tv on a netword connected device does NOT work-why not???  Are are you listening, Comcast?  Do you care?  WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN????

Frequent Visitor

Re: says I'm not on my home wifi network but i am

still going on, does anyone have any idea why this happens???

Gold Problem Solver

mikemt wrote:

still going on, does anyone have any idea why this happens???

A possible reason could be if you are not using Comcast's default DNS settings and you are using a different providers  ( OpenDNS, Google, etc ).  Others reported this to be the case and the fix was to use Comcast's DNS settings.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

New Poster

Thank you so much for your recommendation to another poster to check for use of Comcast's DNS servers. I have spent HOURS on the phone with 4 different Comcast support people over the last 5 days, and they were getting nowhere. After reading this old post of yours, I set my router's DNS addresses to 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 and I can now watch live local stations from my laptop, iPhone, and Roku. You rock!