Community Forum

resolution keeps getting forced to 720p

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

resolution keeps getting forced to 720p

My X1 DVR (XG1-P) has been set to 1080p/60 since I got it 4 years ago. My TV is the same 1080p capable TV as then. My receiver is the same one. My setup has not changed one iota.

Beginning a few days ago (as best I can tell), the actual output resolution (as reported by the monitor) keeps switching to 720p, even while the video setting on the DVR remains at 1080p.

I can toggle the resolution in the X1 settings and it will force 1080p again, but at some point it reverts to 720p.

Is this a bug?
Official Employee

Re: resolution keeps getting forced to 720p

SkyhawkDriver wrote:
My X1 DVR (XG1-P) has been set to 1080p/60 since I got it 4 years ago. My TV is the same 1080p capable TV as then. My receiver is the same one. My setup has not changed one iota.

Beginning a few days ago (as best I can tell), the actual output resolution (as reported by the monitor) keeps switching to 720p, even while the video setting on the DVR remains at 1080p.

I can toggle the resolution in the X1 settings and it will force 1080p again, but at some point it reverts to 720p.

Is this a bug?

What happens when you bypass the receiver?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: resolution keeps getting forced to 720p

Just did a power off reboot and that took a very long time (compared to past reboots) but it seems it’s working now (at least in limited 5 min testing).

As for bypassing the receiver, not something easy to do based on the setup or something that would be acceptable. May have been a transient issue fixed by a power off/on or update to firmware. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

As an aside, the quality of HD programming is becoming unwatchable. NBC Sports Boston was removed from the lineup, and the “beta” of HD games on the MLB and NHL packages has been going on for more than a year without the ability to record the games. To add insult to injury, I can’t record programming from the mobile app when traveling anymore.

At some point, the huge negatives of X1 and Comcast begin to outweigh some of the benefits like on demand content. Other alternatives are more realistic options and you may lose a long time customer.