Community Forum

program a RF remote

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee
Gold Problem Solver

Re: program a RF remote

Regardless of advertising jargon, the RF20 is out of date and X1 boxes use really strange IR codes. I know a couple of people that had tons of trouble "learning" X1 codes into older URC remotes. Funny but "cheap" Harmony remote have no problem with X1 codes.

I think you are out of luck.

I think you should go buy a Harmony 650 (a better and cheaper remote than the RF20) and call it a day.

jayshaw wrote:

The RF20' Owner's Manual claims that "it can actually 'learn' commands from other remote controls (old or new), one button at a time, so it will never become obsolete.  RF20 is the last remote you'll ever need."

I've followed those instructions several times and the RF20 indicates the codes have been learned and saved but the RF20 doesn't seem to control my RGN150 X1 terminal.

From reading this thread it appears I am SOL.  HAs anyone had a positive expereince connecting an RF20, with or without the the RF base?

Many thanks!

New Poster

The RF20' Owner's Manual claims that "it can actually 'learn' commands from other remote controls (old or new), one button at a time, so it will never become obsolete.  RF20 is the last remote you'll ever need."

I've followed those instructions several times and the RF20 indicates the codes have been learned and saved but the RF20 doesn't seem to control my RGN150 X1 terminal.

From reading this thread it appears I am SOL.  HAs anyone had a positive expereince connecting an RF20, with or without the the RF base?

Many thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

Any current Harmony or current URC remote will work with X1. Both companies have options with of without RF. In general URC products are significantly more expensive than Harmony but they are built quite a bit better and they have more programming options. I have a URC MX-780 and it is a really good remote. The MX-890 is a superb remote. I would not hesitate to buy one. But an MX-890 will set you back a minimum of $700 after you buy the RF base.

All that being said, my RF remote of choice is the Harmony 900. The RF works well and the 900 has a nearly perfect button layout and design. HOWEVER Harmony 900s are discontinued and getting very hard to find. Refurbished 900s used to pop up on ebay fairly often for roughly $160 but I have not seen them recently. If you can find a complete Harmony 900 for under $200 I would consider it.

jimd1 wrote:
Can you provide me with the name of an RF remote I can purchase that will work with the xfinity X1?

Regular Visitor

Can you provide me with the name of an RF remote I can purchase that will work with the xfinity X1?
Silver Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

Robert,

The URC RF20 came with it's own simple RF base. If jimd1 doesn't have the RF base he will not be able to use RF. However I think jimdl has a bigger problem. The RF20 is a fairly old product and it is programmed using URC's older software. I was under the impression that URC never updated the old software to include X1 box codes.

I am not sure but I think jimd1 might be out of luck with that particular remote. If I recall, that remote was a pain in the b**t to program...

jimd1 wrote:

It is a Universal Remote RF20 Master Control, the dvr is Infinity RGN 150N

Doh!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

The URC RF20 came with it's own simple RF base. If jimd1 doesn't have the RF base he will not be able to use RF. However I think jimdl has a bigger problem. The RF20 is a fairly old product and it is programmed using URC's older software. I was under the impression that URC never updated the old software to include X1 box codes.

I am not sure but I think jimd1 might be out of luck with that particular remote. If I recall, that remote was a pain in the b**t to program...

jimd1 wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

jimd1 wrote:

Try this:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere

You will have to have line of sight on the RNG150.  You can't pair X1 STB's while they are in a cabinet.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Silver Problem Solver

If it's an XR2 remote and a X1 DVR, follow thee directions on the back of the remote.

Gold Problem Solver

Which "RF remote"???

Details would help...

jimd1 wrote:

I am programming a RF remote to contorl my componets inside a closed cabinet. I can not locate the remote code for the xfinity DVR box, Can someone help me?

Regular Visitor

It is an X1 box

Diamond Problem Solver

Is this a X1 box?

If it a legacy DVR post the model.
Regular Visitor

program a RF remote

I am programming a RF remote to contorl my componets inside a closed cabinet. I can not locate the remote code for the xfinity DVR box, Can someone help me?