Community Forum

online tv stretched

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

online tv stretched

Didn't use to have this problem.

Now, however, apparently all the Perry Mason movies on Xfinity TV dating from the 80s and 90s (not the classic series from the 50s - 60s) are showing in dreadful stretched 16:9 on my computer, rather than in the original aspect ratio of 4:3. Just one example: Perry Mason Returns (1985).

This happens on several different computers and several different browsers.

Please fix, it's nearly unwatchable and practically useless in stretched format.

Regular Visitor

Re: online tv stretched

Apparently, Comcast (Doesn't) Cares, since they didn't bother to respond to someone pointing out one of their problems. I realize that's ungrammatical, but somehow, it just looks better that way.

I should add that the problem I cited doesn't just apply to the Perry Mason movies (which were produced in 4:3), but actually applies to a number of other movies on Xfinity TV with an original aspect ratio of 4:3 (i.e., they're stretched to a ridiculous 16:9 ratio). Not all such movies, but definitely a significant number of such movies.

I repeat: please fix this problem and make those movies watchable again.

Regular Visitor

As I now look, those movies look much better, the stretching is pretty much (or entirely) gone. I appreciate that Comcast has taken actions necessary to ameliorate this problem.

Frequent Visitor

You can reset the aspect ratio of your television through a menu that is accessed by turning off the DVR and pressing the Menu button above the Power button (if you have a Motorola DVR). You'll see a black and white screen that will allow you to change various settings. Use the arrow buttons to move in the Menu screen. Leave the screen by pressing the power button.

I'm NOT a Comcast employee and I know there's better information than I've written here, available in the Comcast forums or via the Chat. Please don't take my word for this - try typing "aspect ratio" into the Search and I hope you'll find more information there. Just wanted to share that there's probably an answer out there for you ... I fight with this problem on my older television daily.