Community Forum

my box yet again

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

my box yet again

in october i got comcast with hd and a dvr box making the switch from direct tv.. i didnt order any movie channels or sports packages but got a dvr because my tv is hdmi so i get on demand and i was thrilled with it. since november sadly my dvr box reset itself over and over and over and i called and the box was switched out. it happened again three times in december and again all three times i got a new box. same for january and march february  the box i got in january worked until march then it began again. i called and got yet another box...and in may it did it again. this time i asked specifically for a technician who could check the watts in the outlet to be certain it was getting the proper signal strength from the wall. he came the signal from comcast was good and strong and the outlet was giving off the correct amount of power to the box. he did not chance out the box because that day the thing worked perfectly. but on the bill i was charged for the service call because i wanted the outlet checked. since there was nothing wrong there on my end and the man told me how to make the plug tighter in case that was the issue and i did it  i was charged for the call. and i sholdnt have been. well its now june the box has again been doing the same thing  since the day after the man left here. i have even put the plug into another outlet and it does the same thing today it did it 14 times in an hour...each time taking longer and longer to get back on to my channel. i dont dare call  for fear i will have to pay for this but need something to be done because i cant watch tv like this. if i disconnect the box would i be able to watch tv with just the cable in the tv? since the box doesnt want to work?

Problem Solver

Re: my box yet again

You didn't mention anything about recording stuff, or other details about if you have anyroom DVR with boxes in other rooms, etc.

If you're not recording, you don't need to use a DVR (recorder), just a full - HD Set Top Box - will do & should also have the hdmi connection & possibly be more reliable.  If you don't need or want to record, swap the DVR for an  HD Set Top Box & see if that works better for you.

* Make sure they don't try to give you an HD-DTA box, which doesn't have the channel guide & i think doesn't access on-demand.

*  edit:  Comcast has been switching to encrypting all the channels for a long time now, which then requires having some sort of cable box, ..... so plugging the cable into the tv either won't work, OR will only give you the basic unencrypted local broadcast tv channels + a couple extra channels & not ondemand,  

if your area hasn't switched to all encrypted channels.

New Poster

i record but it isnt necessary as i can stream what i miss, just found this out today, thru the website on comcast. hdmi isnt a severe necessity either but i like the p[icture quality i get with it i will call and have them switch me out with a newly different box thank you. and thank you for letting me know about plugging in the cable to the tv it is just very frustrating with a box that reset itself more often then needed 

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to connectivity forum, has multiple connection issues.

Official Employee

@charliexvx wrote:

in october i got comcast with hd and a dvr box making the switch from direct tv.. i didnt order any movie channels or sports packages but got a dvr because my tv is hdmi so i get on demand and i was thrilled with it. since november sadly my dvr box reset itself over and over and over and i called and the box was switched out. it happened again three times in december and again all three times i got a new box. same for january and march february  the box i got in january worked until march then it began again. i called and got yet another box...and in may it did it again. this time i asked specifically for a technician who could check the watts in the outlet to be certain it was getting the proper signal strength from the wall. he came the signal from comcast was good and strong and the outlet was giving off the correct amount of power to the box. he did not chance out the box because that day the thing worked perfectly. but on the bill i was charged for the service call because i wanted the outlet checked. since there was nothing wrong there on my end and the man told me how to make the plug tighter in case that was the issue and i did it  i was charged for the call. and i sholdnt have been. well its now june the box has again been doing the same thing  since the day after the man left here. i have even put the plug into another outlet and it does the same thing today it did it 14 times in an hour...each time taking longer and longer to get back on to my channel. i dont dare call  for fear i will have to pay for this but need something to be done because i cant watch tv like this. if i disconnect the box would i be able to watch tv with just the cable in the tv? since the box doesnt want to work?

Apologies for the issue that you described above. I opened a ticket on your account for this issue so that it can be investigated and resolved, Someone on our local Georgia team will review and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!