Community Forum

live TV needs to reset daily when turning on

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

live TV needs to reset daily when turning on

i noticed that whenever i turn on my X1 that the current channel is not "live" if i change the channel the screen goes black and kind of "refreshes" to the new channel.

if i leave the tv on the channel it was on and hit "exit" the screen goes black and refreshes to live tv. 

why is this a daily occurance? sometimes if i leave the tv on a channel for an hour or 2 then hit  "exit" the same black screen refresh happens. so my X1 is almost never live.

is there an explaination for this refresh state?

thanks

Expert

Re: live TV needs to reset daily when turning on

@carmichalski01 wrote:

i noticed that whenever i turn on my X1 that the current channel is not "live" if i change the channel the screen goes black and kind of "refreshes" to the new channel.

if i leave the tv on the channel it was on and hit "exit" the screen goes black and refreshes to live tv. 

why is this a daily occurance? sometimes if i leave the tv on a channel for an hour or 2 then hit  "exit" the same black screen refresh happens. so my X1 is almost never live.

is there an explaination for this refresh state?

thanks

is the model number of the set top box an XG2 ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

i will check when i get home today.

Contributor

Hello . 

i have finally looked to see the number- 

no it is XG1 - A

does that help

Expert

@carmichalski01 wrote:

Hello . 

i have finally looked to see the number- 

no it is XG1 - A

does that help

I have 3 DVRs and an XG2 and only the Xg2 does that 'as if I just changed the channel flash' and then the buffer starts recording. the DVRs are all version mx011 and they never do that 'reset'

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

i have become accustomed to first pressing EXIT so the cable does that reset, then i press the All On button so the tv is always "refreshed"

was looking to see if anyone else was having that problem,which is why i posted it

Official Employee

This isn't a problem with the box. After a period of inactivity, non-DVR boxes will stop saving the time shift buffer to the SD card. What you're seeing is a refresh of the AV stream and reenabling of the time shift buffer. This would happen whenever the box detects active use, typically as a result of a key press on the remote.

Expert

@ComcastLeon wrote:

This isn't a problem with the box. After a period of inactivity, non-DVR boxes will stop saving the time shift buffer to the SD card. What you're seeing is a refresh of the AV stream and reenabling of the time shift buffer. This would happen whenever the box detects active use, typically as a result of a key press on the remote.

is there a reason to do that (technical issue)? what if you are watching in the buffer? it is really annoying to find out the buffer is 'of' when you hit the back 15 seconds button to repeat something and it is 'gone'

Official Employee

@Rustyben wrote:

@ComcastLeon wrote:

is there a reason to do that (technical issue)? what if you are watching in the buffer? it is really annoying to find out the buffer is 'of' when you hit the back 15 seconds button to repeat something and it is 'gone'

A couple reasons, there's some amount of power savings and it helps reduce the number of write cycles to the flash storage when people aren't watching TV. This mode doesn't start until after a number of hours of inactivity. Typically this is noticeable when first turning the TV on after long periods of inactivity