Community Forum

home theatre audio will not work with xi system

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Re: home theatre audio will not work with xi system

There are several ways you can get the audio to play back through your AV equipment.  There are a lot of "depends" though.  Your choices depend on the age of your receiver and/or TV and the options that equipment provides.

Unlike previous connection options, HDMI carries both audio and video signals in the single cable.  One option is to connect the HDMI OUT from the cable box to an HDMI IN of you receiver.  Then, there should be an HDMI OUT from your receiver that would connect to the HDMI IN of your TV.  The receiver acts as a pass through of the video signal, but allows you to use the receiver as the audio portion.  Look at the label on the HDMI IN of the receiver, my receiver has several INs but I connect my HDMI to the one labeled Cable/Sat.  So, in order to hear the audio through the receiver, I set the receiver to Cable/Sat.  Yours may be different.  In order to see the Video through your TV, your TV should be set to an HDMI source (depending on the label of the HDMI you connected to on the TV), e.g., HDMI1, or HDMI2.

If you are not using HDMI or do not want to use it, your cable box will most likely have additional audio OUT options.  For example, you could connect the CABLE OUT (via a coax cable) of the cable box to the CABLE IN of your TV and then connect the AUDIO OUT of the cable box to an appropriate IN on your receiver.  My CABLE box has LEFT and RIGHT AUDIO OUT via RCA connections that could run to an AUIO IN/INPUT on your receiver.  You could connect the RCA cables to any one of a number of AUDIO IN on your receiver - like TV, CD, DVD, BlueRay etc.  Then, of course, you need to set the receiver to play that SOURCE when you want to listen through your receiver.  In this case, you may need to turn the TV volume down or MUTE it so that both the receiver and TV are not providing AUDIO at the same time.

There are other options too, for example, you could connect the AUDIO OUT from your TV (usually RCA) to an AUDIO IN on your receiver and have the TV be the INPUT source to your receiver.  Again, you would need to set your receiver to the INPUT you connected to on the back of the receiver to get audio through your receiver.  In this scenario, depending on your TV, you may have to go into the settings of your TV and set it to play the AUDIO through the AUDIO OUT of the TV rather than through the TV speakers.

Typically, if you have connected the HDMI OUT of the cable box to your TV directly, the other AUDIO OUTs of the cable box are disabled.  For this connection, you would use the scenario in the previous paragraph using the AUDIO out of the TV as your receiver's source.

Hope this helps.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: home theatre audio will not work with xi system

I have an Onkyo a/v receiver.  I connected my TV with HDMI to the receiver.  I also hooked up my X1 DVR to the receiver with HDMI.

I am able to get 5.1 from my speakers with this setup.  Do you have the equipment to try the same thing?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

home theatre audio will not work with xi system

I am very irritated with the x1 system and the help that is supposed to give the correct way to set up home audio to play the tv audio, when I di the directed instructions the volume level goes up-down BUT there is NO sound coming from the speakers, also do you set your home threatre on hdmi 1/ aux 1 or ? THe x1 box has NO cable hookup to go into the rear of the 5.1 home theatre, thas how I got audio with a non x1 box. I have called tech # 4 x nothing works based on the info given