Community Forum

does a new tv need a tuner to use the x1 box?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

does a new tv need a tuner to use the x1 box?

Need a new tv; do I need to buy one with a built in tuner or, is no-tuner ok?

Official Employee

Re: does a new tv need a tuner to use the x1 box?

paulnmoore wrote:

No, you don't need one

Gold Problem Solver

Curious question as there are so few consumer level TV sets currently available without a tuner. However when it comes to professional monitors and signage displays, it is common for those sets to come with out a tuner.

In my opinion, there are two very important reasons you want a TV set with a built in tuner. First, the picture quality you can receive using a TV's built in tuner (with an antenna connected) is better than the picture quality that X1 offers. Also, having a TV set with a built in tuner offers an option if cable TV service has an outage.

Maybe you could provide more details in regards to what you are trying to accomplish...

paulnmoore wrote:

New Poster

Looking at new, smart tv’s. I saw a good deal on a 70” Vizeo & compared it to a couple of 65” tv’s. Main difference was the Vizeo doesn’t have a built-in tuner; the others do. Wondered if I need a tuner if I’m using an X1 box?
Gold Problem Solver

Your question has already been answered....

paulnmoore wrote:
Looking at new, smart tv’s. I saw a good deal on a 70” Vizeo & compared it to a couple of 65” tv’s. Main difference was the Vizeo doesn’t have a built-in tuner; the others do. Wondered if I need a tuner if I’m using an X1 box?

Gold Problem Solver

I suggest that you take a look at Samsung, Sony and LG. They make a better TV than Vizio does.

Take a look at how Consumer Reports ranks TV sets. You will see what I am talking about.
New Poster

Great advice!!

Thanx,

P
Silver Problem Solver

paulnmoore wrote:
Great advice!!

Thanx,

P

I need a tuner when Comcast/X1 goes down in a storm, etc.  If you buy a TV without a tuner, there are external tuners that can be purchased.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.