Community Forum

XiD-P box dead?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

XiD-P box dead?

Comcast switched us over to X1 equipment a few months back.  We have two Arris AX013ANM DVR's and one XiD-P cable tuner.  The DVR's work perfectly and network with each other as they should.  Within the past few weeks the XiD-P stopped working altogether.  We have it connected to an old analog TV via the RF output of the box.  Cold-booting it would bring it back for a few hours, but eventually it would die again.  I exchanged it for another XiD-P at a Comcast store, but this one has also died.

There are no active splitters or amps in the house.  The connection from the street is split first into two ports (Technicolor modem and TV), then the TV port from the first splitter is split three ways to the DVR's and the XiD-P.  The coax run to the XiD-P is RG6/U and is completely intact, no cuts or tears.  The splitters are both 5-1000MHz.

Any ideas why the XiD-P keeps dying?

Official Employee

Re: XiD-P box dead?

Any error codes or when you say dying meaning losing power?
Frequent Visitor

When it "dies" it has no output, but the power light on the box is still on.  I don't have any sort of monitor with an HDMI input, so I can only check the RF output.

I tried another reboot today.  It would not boot up properly after a ten-minute power-down, so I left it unplugged from AC for 90 minutes.  This time it rebooted properly.  However, I just tried it a few minutes ago, about 2.5 hours after the successful reboot, and it was again producing no output.

Official Employee

How about swapping it temporarily where one of the DVRs is

Frequent Visitor

Will I lose the recordings on the DVR if I do that?  I'm guessing no, but want to be sure.

Official Employee

RadioSid wrote:

Will I lose the recordings on the DVR if I do that?  I'm guessing no, but want to be sure.

No, you're just moving things around. You're not making any physical changes.

Frequent Visitor

I swapped one of the DVR's with the XiD-P.  Two hours later, both are still working.  If the XiD-P was going to fail as it had been doing in its original position, it would already have done so.

Does this tell you anything?

Frequent Visitor

My wife brought up two things I was not aware of, which may or may not have something to do with the original problem:

1). Sometimes, when the TV is first turned on, the picture is garbled/pixelated, and it takes as long as 15 seconds to clear up.

2). My Internet speed has never been in the ballpark of what was promised.  About a year ago, I got an e-mail from Comcast saying they were bumping me up from 75Mbps to 100Mbps.  The best my Windows 7 Pro PC can do, per Xfinity Speedtest, is 29.23Mbps down, 5.87Mbps up, ping 14ms (this is on wired Ethernet, not wireless).

Gold Problem Solver

The two symptoms you just described are classic poor signal indicators.

You have a poor connection to the Comcast network. The problem could be within your house, in your yard or blocks down the street from your house. Suggest that you have Comcast send a tech out to investigate.
Official Employee

RadioSid wrote:

I swapped one of the DVR's with the XiD-P.  Two hours later, both are still working.  If the XiD-P was going to fail as it had been doing in its original position, it would already have done so.

Does this tell you anything?

Presently all levels that can be checked remotely, look good and in spec. 

Put the XiD back in its original position (if you want and see if anything changes). If you don't need to, then leave it as is.

Upgrade your Gateway to an XB3, the one you presently have isn't end of life but it is an older model.

Frequent Visitor

I put the boxes back in their original positions.  DVR is good.  XiD-P died again sometime between now and about two hours ago.  This truly baffling.

When I returned the first xiD-P a few weeks ago, the CS guy said I should swap the modem, so I'll be doing that soon.

Official Employee

RadioSid wrote:

I put the boxes back in their original positions.  DVR is good.  XiD-P died again sometime between now and about two hours ago.  This truly baffling.

When I returned the first xiD-P a few weeks ago, the CS guy said I should swap the modem, so I'll be doing that soon.

Whatever it is, it's in the area where the Xid is. Right now all three boxes are connected and communicating. And if it was the XiD itself, it wouldn't have worked in the second location.

Frequent Visitor

My conclusion as well.  I'm almost starting to think the TV (a fairly ancient Sony) is the problem.  I'm going to play with it a bit when I get home tonight.

Frequent Visitor

Curiouser and curiouser...

So, with only snow on the screen, I removed the cable between the XiD-P and the RF input of the TV.  I left the TV on the whole time.  When I reattached the cable, the picture and sound came back.

Official Employee

Hopefully, it's either on correctly or you don't have a bad piece of cable. Or being an old tv that coax input isn't going out.
Frequent Visitor

I’m thinking the latter.  I tried substituting a different piece of coax and it didn’t work either, until I put back the original piece, and as before that didn’t last.  There are too many wacky symptoms pointing to the TV, which is at least 30 years old.

Frequent Visitor

A temporary workaround:  I fed the cable box out through an old VCR/DVD player and took the RCA video and audio out into the TV.  That works consistently.  But, a new TV is in the works.

Gold Problem Solver

In my opinion, X1 boxes where never designed to support SD "old school" TV sets...

RadioSid wrote:

A temporary workaround:  I fed the cable box out through an old VCR/DVD player and took the RCA video and audio out into the TV.  That works consistently.  But, a new TV is in the works.