Xfinity Community Forum

Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts
New to the Community? Start here.

Xi5 box problems

Expert

Re: Xi5 box problems

@htbomber wrote:

I'm getting frustrated with Comcast (again). The supplied router provides poor wifi speeds unless you're in the same room. Currently using a TP-Link extender which helps a bit.

If I go the mesh router option such as Google WiFi will the xi5 box connect?

In order to get your screen name changed you need to go the Comcast service site in the forum. A Comcast person there will need to let you PM them with certain information to change your current ID name on the forum.

Frequent Visitor

I'm getting frustrated with Comcast (again). The supplied router provides poor wifi speeds unless you're in the same room. Currently using a TP-Link extender which helps a bit.

If I go the mesh router option such as Google WiFi will the xi5 box connect?

Frequent Visitor

WiFi and MoCA are shown as being 'on' judging from the checkmarks in the upper right part of the Gateway/At A Glance screen so I assume I am not in bridge mode - if that's the case I don't understand why only the "Disable" button is active.

In the meantime, I will separate 2.4 and 5 as suggested.

Official Employee

From a tech’s point of view I find it better to separate them. It’s possible that when combined the devices you’re using (especially Apple) can jump from one band to the other.
Silver Problem Solver

Message contains an image

@htbomber wrote:

ComcastAndrew you have been very helpful.Thanks.

Xi5 is working now. Is modem in bridge mode (see below)?

New question: 2.4 and 5G are set to use same name and password. Is it better to separate them?

comcast2.1.jpg

If you hover your mouse over those two settings it will give you a clue.  I am using my own router so my gateway is in bridge mode just like yours is.  Another clue is if you have the gateway's SSID's in your list of available networks.  With my gateway in bridge mode, it turns off the gateway's wifi so you can use your router's wifi.  I have always assigned two SSID's - one for 2.4 and the other for 5.0.

Check your SSID's to see which router they are coming from.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Message contains an image

ComcastAndrew you have been very helpful.Thanks.

Xi5 is working now. Is modem in bridge mode (see below)?

New question: 2.4 and 5G are set to use same name and password. Is it better to separate them?

comcast2.1.jpg

Official Employee

wrote:

If that's the case why would a Comcast tech give me this box knowing I have my own router?!

If I disable the bridge setting will my router still work?

No ideas why. Was your gateway bridged at time of install? The Xi5 uses the gateway's 5GHz band to communicate, so if it's not there it's not going to work.

Frequent Visitor

If that's the case why would a Comcast tech give me this box knowing I have my own router?!

If I disable the bridge setting will my router still work?

Official Employee

One thing at a time, getting it working first. That other stuff is secondary
Expert

That is correct Andrew. I am refering in this case to R.F. interference which is often overlooked when using Wi-fi and Blu-tooth devices to eliminate all the unsightly tangled cords / cables. Smiley Wink

Official Employee

If the modem is bridged it’s not going to work(it uses the gateway’s Wi-Fi) not your personal router’s wifi
Highlighted
Expert

@ wrote:

Tech recently installed Xi5 box and it worked at first but image froze daily. Now it shows screensaver and menu but does not link with my X1 box to actually watch programming. I've tried rebooting all my devices with no luck. The modem is bridged to a TP-Link router and I've tried reconnecting but with no success.

Were you set up to use the Wi-fi feature of the Xi5 box? If so the box as to be close to the television (line of site, 10 to 15 feet is best). And most importantly; Do not stack the box near any other component! Keep it in the open and not in a cabinet. How do I know this? The Comcast employee put a friend of mine's new X1 box on top of his Sony 4K Blu-ray player causing it to loose the Wi-fi signal needed for watching You Tube app built into the player. After I told him to move the box away from the player every thing was fine.

Frequent Visitor

Xi5 box problems

Tech recently installed Xi5 box and it worked at first but image froze daily. Now it shows screensaver and menu but does not link with my X1 box to actually watch programming. I've tried rebooting all my devices with no luck. The modem is bridged to a TP-Link router and I've tried reconnecting but with no success.