Community Forum

XfinityTV website video lag

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

XfinityTV website video lag

While watching videos on the Xfinity TV website every show will lag every couple of seconds and the video screen will shift. This doesn't matter if I have it on full screen or not. After a while, it will go to commercial and reset itself back to the beginning of the show, no matter how far we are in the show.

We are running this on a HP laptop with more than enough RAM and the most up-to-date video driver. We do not have any problems when playing online games with graphic intense settings. We are watching using Google Chrome. What can we do to solve this problem?

New Poster

Re: XfinityTV website video lag

Same problem...when i stream with xfinity on my laptop it lags major...i have to change the vid quality to low in order to get through the video, so its either low definition with no lag or like standard definition with ma aa joo rr lag. Lol. Reading one persons posting, maybe it has something to do with the tv's landline being the same as the internets landline. Remeber dsl? If you use your house phone while someone is online the internet kind of lags. So maybe if someone is watching tv/comcast cable while someone else is trying to stream through...hmm how can i say...'cable online' then that maybe cause a lag for the xfinity online tv service? Idk...i just wish i can watch shows with a good picture with no lag, even the commercials lag! Now thats bad...Im sure its something the company will have to troubleshoot.
Regular Contributor

Re: XfinityTV website video lag

It's hard to tell from your description, can you give a more detailed description of your setup? Are you attached wirelessly to a router? If you are wirelessly attached, what router are you using? Do you have more than one computer and can you test on another to see if you have the same problem?

There can be several sources for this kind of problem and it can be difficult to track down and these are the steps I would recommend:

Try and figure out if it's specific to the computer i.e. if you have another computer and that computer doesn't have the problem then you need to look at what's running on this computer; perhaps you have a virus or malware that's causing you a problem, in that case go to BleepingComputer.Com and download TDSKiller, ADWCleaner, JRT and run them and see if they find anything. After that Google on Malwarebytes and download and install and scan with that; do an in-depth full system virus scan with your anti-virus.

If both computers have the problem or if one is wired and doesn't and the notebook is attached wirelessly then try plugging the notebook into your router using an ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away. If it does then either you can try and find newer drivers for your wireless or if you already have the latest drivers perhaps your router is the problem. Some older plain vanilla Wireless G or N routers have problems with streaming and you may need a new router but post your router make and model and version before.

If you have the problem with multiple computers and it doesn't matter if it's wired or wireless it's possible that you have a bad router or modem ( if like myself you have a Comcast modem but a third party router i.e. Linksys, Netgear, Asus, TPLink etc ); if you are renting your modem from Comcast you can always take it to a Comcast location and get a free replacement, just tell them you think your modem is bad.

If you swap out your modem and you still have a problem, it's possible you may have a signal strength issue and you need a Comcast Tech to come out and test with a meter; if you have low signal strength then the tech is obligated to run a new cable from the pole, no charge.

- Norm