Community Forum

Xfinity DVR set top box stuck in Welcome screen

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Xfinity DVR set top box stuck in Welcome screen

I'm in the process of switching from ATT UVERSE to Xfinity X1. I'm setting up my main xfinity DVR set top box for the first time to the TV in my upstairs family room. It is connected via ethernet to the xfinity Gateway which is in my downstairs Office. When I try to boot the main dvr set top box with this configuration (ethernet from the gateway and hdmi to my tv), it boots up, but always gets stuck on the "Welcome, connecting to your entertainment experience" screen

The new Xfinity gateway downstiars I've just gotten is obviously connected via the coax to the xfinity wall outlet that has been the source of Xfinity internet only that I've had for several years. Despite repeated assurances from comcast (before I made the decision to switch to X1) that the coax wall outlet used up to now for internet only would now support the addition of Xfinity X1 TV, I suspect that the incoming line has not been fully configured for the added X1. Initial Comcast phone support is telling me they can't see the set top box and that I need to attach the set top box via coax cable using the provided coax splitter. I have no TV in my office and the rest of my home network from the gateway is all ethernet. Can Comcast X1 boxes not be connected via ethernet? While the dvr stb has an ethernet outlet, I just noticed the secondary stbs they gave me have only coax connections (!) so those won't work for my other TVs. Thanks for ANY help or guidance here!

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity DVR set top box stuck in Welcome screen

You can’t connect your main box with Ethernet, it has to be a live coax signal. Those Ethernet ports are disabled
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Xfinity DVR set top box stuck in Welcome screen

@B2B1953 wrote:

I'm in the process of switching from ATT UVERSE to Xfinity X1. I'm setting up my main xfinity DVR set top box for the first time to the TV in my upstairs family room. It is connected via ethernet to the xfinity Gateway which is in my downstairs Office. When I try to boot the main dvr set top box with this configuration (ethernet from the gateway and hdmi to my tv), it boots up, but always gets stuck on the "Welcome, connecting to your entertainment experience" screen

The new Xfinity gateway downstiars I've just gotten is obviously connected via the coax to the xfinity wall outlet that has been the source of Xfinity internet only that I've had for several years. Despite repeated assurances from comcast (before I made the decision to switch to X1) that the coax wall outlet used up to now for internet only would now support the addition of Xfinity X1 TV, I suspect that the incoming line has not been fully configured for the added X1. Initial Comcast phone support is telling me they can't see the set top box and that I need to attach the set top box via coax cable using the provided coax splitter. I have no TV in my office and the rest of my home network from the gateway is all ethernet. Can Comcast X1 boxes not be connected via ethernet? While the dvr stb has an ethernet outlet, I just noticed the secondary stbs they gave me have only coax connections (!) so those won't work for my other TVs. Thanks for ANY help or guidance here!

X1 is a whole home. there is one model (the companion Xi5) that can connect wirelessly or by Ethernet but it requires a Comcast special modem. the DVR can be connected at another outlet connected by Coax. if you have more than 2 set top boxes one should be an Xg2 that can supply tuners for 3 other companion boxes as needed. The DVR can't be connected via the Ethernet port.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!