Community Forum

XR8 Adaptors

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Re: XR8 Adaptors

Hello ComcastNeal.  Sorry to add to your burden but I too would like an XR8 for my pace companion box.  I would have bought on ebay but your post has deterred me from such.  I notice you hadn't posted on the forum since March 18th and wondered whether this thread is monitored by other Comcast employees.

Many thanks. 

Expert

@pierontm wrote:

Can I have 2? I have spend hours on Cutomer Support and visited the local store only to be told that they are not available.  But I note they are available on Amazon and Ebay.

The devices available on Amazon & Ebay are commonly those that WILL NOT work with your STB's.....  Buyer beware!!!

-=Ray=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have the same problem with not being able to pair my XR5 with RNG 150N box.  How can I received one of these XR8 Adaptors?

New Poster

I need three xr8's

bigise@comcast.net

Regular Visitor

Still havent received mine yet. ComcastNeal said it was shipped out weeks ago. What gives??

Frequent Visitor

I have not got mine either. I have given up on ever fixing the problem

Silver Problem Solver

If you guys have DVRs on another TV, and your TV has an HDMI port, check to see if the Xi3 boxes are avilable in your area. They have RF pairing built in.

Expert

@John3758 wrote:

If you guys have DVRs on another TV, and your TV has an HDMI port, check to see if the Xi3 boxes are avilable in your area. They have RF pairing built in.

And by going with the Xi3, you will be losing a (IMO) a very valuable tuner from your DVR, thus reducing the numebr of shows you actually record...    I am not a fan of the Xi3, and will not be moving in that direction.

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Neil , could I get 2 XR8 adapters. Thank you in advance.

Frequent Visitor

Hello-  

One of the XR8 adapters I received is defective.  I have to keep on fiddling with it to keep it working....it appears the plug that plugs into the back of the STB is loose.  

ComcastNeal or someone else, can you please send me a replacement XR8?

New Poster

we here just got x1 with xr5 remotes and under impression that we should be able to pair and aim anywhere but that is not the case...are we missing something such as this adapter being discussed?? we have 4 boxes in the house all in separate rooms

ricky
Expert

@4burgkids wrote:
we here just got x1 with xr5 remotes and under impression that we should be able to pair and aim anywhere but that is not the case...are we missing something such as this adapter being discussed?? we have 4 boxes in the house all in separate rooms

ricky

You can only pair the DVR & Xi3's.... regular STB's require an XR8 adaptor that will allow RF Pairing....

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Hi Neal, need 2 adapters here. Would graciously appreciate the hook up!

New Poster

Comcast Neal or Andrew...any shot we can get 4 XR8 shipped to us. new home construction all boxes planned to be hidden so we are doing cartwheels thru the rooms to change channels
New Poster

Hi Comcast Neal. Would you please send me an XR8 adapter? Thanks, Steve
New Poster

Are the adapters still available? If so, i just upgraded to the xr5 n basic HD cable box and would like to utilize the RF connection.
New Poster

Neal,

Can I please get 3 XR8 adapters?

Bill

New Poster

Neal,

Can I please get 3 XR8 adapters?

Bill

Regular Visitor

Neal,

Can I get 2 XR8 adapters also? I have two companion boxes that i can't get paired.

thanks,

Dawn head

New Poster

i just spoke to a comcast rep over the phone. xr8 adapaters are no longer available to customers or to installers. we must wait for the replacement box which will be available sometime during the 2nd Qtr (next couple months)

Gold Problem Solver

Gino,

If you would have read more of this thread, you would have noticed that Comast Neal has his own supply of XR8's and customers have been able to request them from Neal here in this thread.

@Gino1316 wrote:

i just spoke to a comcast rep over the phone. xr8 adapaters are no longer available to customers or to installers. we must wait for the replacement box which will be available sometime during the 2nd Qtr (next couple months)

Frequent Visitor

Neal,

Can I get an XR8 adapter please?  You can send it to the address on my account.

Thanks,

AABAAF

Valued Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

If you would have read more of this thread, you would have noticed that Comcast Neal has his own supply of XR8's and customers have been able to request them from Neal here in this thread.

Is anybody receiving XR8s that they've requested lately?  ComcastNeal hasn't posted in this thread since mid-March.

New Poster

Today I spoke w many comcast X1 reps on the phone and in person who were unaware of the XR8... 40 minutes w 1 rep who reset my box multiple times trying to sync my XR5 to my RNG 150. They seem to be generally unknowledgable of their product. Finally told they won't ship them and I have to go to my local service center. After 20 min in line at service center the clerk insisted that an ir extender was the RX8. A be debate ensued... then he argued no RF adapter was required for my RNG 150... I pulled out my phone and educated him on his products. He then said, "oh, those... yea we don't have those - you need to call Comcast". Get home and call Comcast and again told they won't ship however they can have a tech out to install for a fee.... really? Another agrument, now supposedly no tech fee.... supposedly sending a tech (from my local center, you know the center that said they don't carry them) on Monday.... betting I see a fee on my bill.

WHY ON THE INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED WITH THE XR5 REMOTE IS THERE NO MENTION OF AN ADAPTOR REQUIRED??
Gold Problem Solver

The XR8 adapter is required only if you are trying to place the the RNG-150 in a hidden location where it is not within line of site of the remote control. If your RNG-150 is out in the open and it is within line of sight of the remote control, the XR8 is a moot point.

HOWEVER, if Comcast Neal is no longer supplying XR8's then we should consider them to be dead and gone.

FYI Comcast has a different Companion box called Xi3 which may or may not be available in your area. It does not need the XR8. You need to call Comcast to see if it is available in your market.

Frequent Visitor

The box mentioned above, does not need the adapter.  But does take up one of the tuners on the DVR, to watch LIVE TV.  It does allow you to "record/pause" live TV but that is all.

Gold Problem Solver

Unless Comcast Neal or someone else from Comcast chimes in here, I think we should consider the XR8 adapter as no longer being available. If you have an RNG-150 "Companion" box it would seem that RF Pairing is no longer an option.

You will need to wait until Comcast introduces the Xi3 box to your market if you need RF pairing...

Thread closed???

New Poster

Tech from service call shows up with notes on what to bring but no parts and asking what is an XR8.... giving up.. will use an IR extender. Niw it is time to argue the service charge for the visit.
Valued Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Unless Comcast Neal or someone else from Comcast chimes in here, I think we should consider the XR8 adapter as no longer being available. If you have an RNG-150 "Companion" box it would seem that RF Pairing is no longer an option.

You will need to wait until Comcast introduces the Xi3 box to your market if you need RF pairing...

Thread closed???

Well, maybe not.

I see that there is currently a third-party seller on Amazon who has the XR8 listed for $6.99 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQU5A9C

It looks like his works better than some of the older version models that are on eBay, as the one customer review (so far) says it worked fine for him.  Don't know how much of a supply this seller has on hand, though.

New Poster

Like I mentioned before Comcast is no longer supplying these. If Neal were to sell them he would surely loose his job. As Comcast wants you to wait in anticipation for the new fully functioning x1 box
Valued Contributor

Hi.  Very sorry for my lack of responses lately on the forums.  I've been extremely busy building a team to better support high level technical issues here and several other areas on the web and internally at Comcast.  That said, ComcastNickM will be chiming in shortly here to let you know when he has shipped all the XR8 devices requested in this thread.  We ARE in fact still using XR8 adapters for RNG150 boxes.  Xi3 and XG1 boxes do not need the XR8 as they have the pairing capability built in.  Thanks for your patience!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Nice to hear from you Neal. Glad you are back and glad XR8 adapters will start flowing again.

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi.  Very sorry for my lack of responses lately on the forums.  I've been extremely busy building a team to better support high level technical issues here and several other areas on the web and internally at Comcast.  That said, ComcastNickM will be chiming in shortly here to let you know when he has shipped all the XR8 devices requested in this thread.  We ARE in fact still using XR8 adapters for RNG150 boxes.  Xi3 and XG1 boxes do not need the XR8 as they have the pairing capability built in.  Thanks for your patience!

Expert

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi Neal!  

Glad to know you are still kicking around!!!!

If possible, I requested an XR8 for the Music Room that has "finally" been remodeld!!!!  You may remeber the house and layout....and the renovation that was going on when you visited.

Yes, only 1 XR8 is needed as the other RNG150 is in plain site and the 2 DVR's are paired.

Thanks!

-=Ray=-

Official Employee

Hi all,

Everyone who has asked for XR8(s) around ComcastNeal's last post on this thread and forward will have them shipped. We will work on getting those out the door today.

Ideally, we want to make these available to everyone through service centers. We're in the process of verifying that all Comcast Service Centers have these available to customers before we stop shipping them out Smiley Happy

Going forward until further notice, if you have NOT already asked for an XR8 in this thread or via private message to ComcastNeal or I, please let us know and we will ship them out to you.

Thanks,

-Nick

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

Ray, why not move to the Xi3 where you have RNG150's now?  I understand your concern for "using XG1 tuners" but that is no longer a valid concern.  The tuners are not reserved full time for the Xi3 but rather we have a deep algorithm we use to "assign" a tuner from one of the XG1's when needed for an Xi3.  When the Xi3 is idle the XG gets the tuner back.  You'd be shocked to learn what the % of a chance there is that you'd see a tuner conflict when using Xi3 devices.  Trust me when I tell you...its LOW.  I challenge you to get the "tuner conflict" message to appear on any boxes in the home when using an Xi device.  I really had to work to do it in my house and office.  In your case, you have 2 DVRs.  That's 8 tuners for record and that leaves one per XG box for live viewing.  You'd have to activly use both Xi boxes on a different channel each that neither XG box is tuned to while recording 8 different assets at once!  That would essentially be 12 different things being watched live or recorded at the same time (activly).  Yikes!  I highly recommend moving to the Xi3 when a DVR is in the mix in ANY home.  The Xi is a MUCH more powerful/faster box, has FULL access to all apps (RNG150 cannot get to internet connected apps), and the Xi devices do NOT use a tuner for on demand so no concerns there.  Plus, they have native RF paring!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Neal,

Is this the reason X1 DVRs changed how they buffer?

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Ray, why not move to the Xi3 where you have RNG150's now?  I understand your concern for "using XG1 tuners" but that is no longer a valid concern.  The tuners are not reserved full time for the Xi3 but rather we have a deep algorithm we use to "assign" a tuner from one of the XG1's when needed for an Xi3.  When the Xi3 is idle the XG gets the tuner back.  You'd be shocked to learn what the % of a chance there is that you'd see a tuner conflict when using Xi3 devices.  Trust me when I tell you...its LOW.  I challenge you to get the "tuner conflict" message to appear on any boxes in the home when using an Xi device.  I really had to work to do it in my house and office.  In your case, you have 2 DVRs.  That's 8 tuners for record and that leaves one per XG box for live viewing.  You'd have to activly use both Xi boxes on a different channel each that neither XG box is tuned to while recording 8 different assets at once!  That would essentially be 12 different things being watched live or recorded at the same time (activly).  Yikes!  I highly recommend moving to the Xi3 when a DVR is in the mix in ANY home.  The Xi is a MUCH more powerful/faster box, has FULL access to all apps (RNG150 cannot get to internet connected apps), and the Xi devices do NOT use a tuner for on demand so no concerns there.  Plus, they have native RF paring!

Valued Contributor

can you elaborate what you mean by buffer?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

At one point, an X1 DVR would "capture" or buffer a program from the instant you changed to that particular channel. If you pressed the record button, the recording would begin from the point you changed to that channel.

Something changed. More recently, when you press the record button the recording begins from the moment you pressed the record button, not the moment you changed to that channel. There was a great deal of "buzz" about this in the forum a few months back. I haven't heard much lately. Maybe something has changed again. I haven't tested it for awhile.

Am I missing something?

@ComcastNeal wrote:

can you elaborate what you mean by buffer?

Expert

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi Neal,

SInce you have put it that way.....  Yes... and Xi3 would make sense in the newly remodeled GUEST ROOM... that was the old GROUPIE ROOM  ( we joked about that one!!!! ) and since that room only has someone in it once or twice per week, that would indeed work out just fine....

So in my market, since I already have 2 DVR's would I be allowed to SIK the Xi3 and just take the RNG150 back to the local Service Center????  

We both know my signal levels are perfect!!!!  <VBG>

Thanks!

-=Ray=-

Valued Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi Neal,

SInce you have put it that way.....  Yes... and Xi3 would make sense in the newly remodeled GUEST ROOM... that was the old GROUPIE ROOM  ( we joked about that one!!!! ) and since that room only has someone in it once or twice per week, that would indeed work out just fine....

So in my market, since I already have 2 DVR's would I be allowed to SIK the Xi3 and just take the RNG150 back to the local Service Center????  

We both know my signal levels are perfect!!!!  <VBG>

Thanks!

-=Ray=-

I'll have someone reach out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I need three xr5 v4 adapters could you please send them to me I'd appreciate it thank you
Silver Problem Solver

@dayna10 wrote:
I need three xr5 v4 adapters could you please send them to me I'd appreciate it thank you

XR5 is a remote.  Did you mean that or did you mean XR8?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I have run into the same issues.  I just called and had 3 Xr11 remotes sent to me to leverage RF abilitiy.  Then to find out after talking to 3 Comcast agents that a XR8 (Aim Anywhere Adapter) is required for the companion boxes for my Xfinity 1 DVR.  

ComCastNeal or anyone from Comcast please send me 3 XR8 adapters. 

New Poster

I'd like just one XR8 adaptor, please
Regular Visitor

Hi Neal ,

If I could get 2 XR8 adapters that would be great have 2 RGN150 boxes behind glass doors of entertainment centers. I ordered some off eBay but unfortunately they were defective and I still have the same problem. I have already switched 1 other STB that I have for an Xi3 but do not want to switch any others out as I will lose the current promotion deal I'm on. Hope there are still some available and you can help out ComCastNeal.
Contributor

Hi Neal, are Xi3 boxes available in my market?
FYI the adapters are available in my local service center (shame the support lady on phone didn't know about them and suggest them when I logged a support call about why I couldn't pair the remote).

I am a new X1 customer (in last 48 hours), i had marathon experience. Including X1 breaking my cable modem twice and my media center once. Happy to share details if there is someone who would want to fix the systematic issues I uncovered.
Contributor

I would greatly appreciate an XR8 adaptor as well. I have one RNG150 in my house that I would change to a Xi3 if it were an easy swap in a service center. I suspect since it's X1, boxes have to be swapped by a tech still with a paid visit? It's not worth it to pay for that if it is the case, and then I'd just like the one XR8.

I'm also the tech guru or whatever you want to call it for my girlfriend's family. In their home theater room, they have a RNG150 box in a closed cabinet nowhere near the screen. I'd say I want to swap that to a Xi3 too, except I wonder if it has component video output? They have a video/audio switcher that is not handling HDMI properly for video, so I need to stay with something that does component there. I can get you the username/address for that account in a PM or whatever if needed.
Expert

@jjlehmann wrote:
I would greatly appreciate an XR8 adaptor as well. I have one RNG150 in my house that I would change to a Xi3 if it were an easy swap in a service center. I suspect since it's X1, boxes have to be swapped by a tech still with a paid visit? It's not worth it to pay for that if it is the case, and then I'd just like the one XR8.

I'm also the tech guru or whatever you want to call it for my girlfriend's family. In their home theater room, they have a RNG150 box in a closed cabinet nowhere near the screen. I'd say I want to swap that to a Xi3 too, except I wonder if it has component video output? They have a video/audio switcher that is not handling HDMI properly for video, so I need to stay with something that does component there. I can get you the username/address for that account in a PM or whatever if needed.

FYI- Xi3's do not have component output...

I just had an RNG150 swapped out for an Xi3 and the upgraded performace is very significant compared to the RNG..... 

-=Ray=-

Official Employee

Hi,

Everyone that has asked for an XR8 either on this post or via private message to me since my last post on this thread has been shipped what they asked for.

Thanks,

Nick

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

thank you for sending me an adapter! i was not actively following the forum when suddely a package arrived yesterday with the XR8 adapter. much appreciated for finding the time to send me one!